annoying spare tire low message won't go away - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > annoying spare tire low message won't go away

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-18-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
odell

2003 TJ Wrangler 

annoying spare tire low message won't go away

In my 06 commander I can't get rid of spare tire low message. It's just annoying at this point. My spare has plenty of air in it, but for some reason the jeep isn't picking up on that. I had to replace 1 of the sensors in a tire awhile back since the valve stem broke off and ever since then I've had the problem.

If I put the spare on the system tells me the pressure in that tire, so I don't think it's the sensor. Like if I take the left front off and put the spare on there, after driving a minute or two it tells me the pressure in the left front, but then it doesn't pick up on the spare tire pressure and tells me it's low, but I KNOW there is pressure in the tire since I just took it off the left front and that the tpms is working.

Does anyone know of a code I can put in to reset the system so it knows theres pressure in the spare?

Thanks in advance for helping me keep my sanity!

Unread 01-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

Maybe you could disconnect the battery for a few minutes, that might reset everything?

---> first thing that came to mind from a non-guru

Blue WK Club Member #2
BurmaJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:18 AM   #3
odell

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, this non guru already tried that a few times. Thanks though!
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

I'm so glad I don't have that feature. I read a lot of the same complaints. I only'have the low pressure warning system (really? Is that why she's handling like there is a low - or flat - tire?) but doesn't give me a reading for each tire.

I have driven trucks with a tpcs (tire pressure control system) for heavy trucks when you take them off road, and IMO unless you can inflate/deflate all four (or fourteen) on the fly there is no need for it. What a PITA.

Can't you just remove the sensor from the spare?

Blue WK Club Member #2
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
BonesWK
2006 WK 

the tpms monitors reset after about a 5 minute drive. put the spare on and take a quick drive around the block. or just get a pressure gauge.

keep filling it man, must still be low.
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i took all the damn things off my '07 Chrysler 300. mopar feels the need to use thin solid aluminum valve stems on their wheels. this plus cold climate equals constantly cracking the stems when any water freezes in there. i tried getting better caps, no good. i just deal with the light on the dash. when i go to sell the car they will go back in. after paying $100 each for 2 of them i was done sir done with that horse crap. chevy uses a pressure sensing strip that goes around the inside of the rim and uses regular rubber valve stems. boy that's a no brainer huh? but can mopar adopt this... nope.

some models will not let you use cruise control if they don't sense the tire pressure. it's thinking is you have a spare or a donut on there. in this case again i say eat it Chrysler!

sorry that is the only thing that has ever bugged me about my car. research it everyone has been complaining about it since '06 and still they have not changed it.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
modernblueWK

Are the sensors assigned to a location? Is there a specific one for the spare?
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
GeeEssFore

If you need a new sensor I can get you one for $25 shipped. NIB
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
w33mud
2006 WK 

Just had exactly same problem fixed by dealer,apparently after fiting new sensor you have to have the new one callibrated to the rest,deler did this for free.I'm i UK but guess it's the same system?Hope this helps.
w33mud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
beemer9

From 2008 XK manual:
PREMIUM TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING

The system will consist of tire pressure monitoring sensors attached to each wheel through the valve stem mounting hole, a Wireless Ignition Node (WIN - integrates the Ignition and the Wireless Control Module), three wheel sensor transponders located in three of the four wheel wells, a re-configurable dot matrix display module (CCN), and a yellow telltale.
A sensor shall be installed in the spare wheel if the vehicle is equipped with a matching full size spare wheel and tire assembly.
NOTE: On vehicles equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), when the spare tire pressure sensor is replaced with a new pressure sensor, a diagnostic scan tool MUST be used to run a routine that will program the new pressure sensor ID into the Wireless Ignition Node (WIN), commonly referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM). Please copy the ID number off of the new pressure sensor before installing it into the spare tire. Then follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for: “Learn Spare Tire Sensor ID” under” Miscellaneous Functions” for the "WIN/Wireless Ignition Node" menu item as appropriate.
NOTE: If replacing the WIN, the spare tire must be dismounted from its wheel to access and note the spare tire pressure sensor ID. Then follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for “Learn Spare Tire Sensor ID” under “Miscellaneous Functions” for the "WIN/Wireless Ignition Node" menu item as appropriate. The WIN learns the Placard Pressures from the Front Control Module (FCM) configuration on the bus. Go to "Read Placard Pressure" under "Data Display" for the "WIN/Wireless Ignition Node" and confirm the placard pressure reported matches Tire Inflation Pressure (Placard) Label.
beemer9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
beemer9

OPERATION
NOTE: On vehicles equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), when the spare tire pressure sensor is replaced with a new pressure sensor, a diagnostic scan tool MUST be used to run a routine that will program the new pressure sensor ID into the Wireless Ignition Node (WIN). Please copy the ID number off of the new pressure sensor before installing it into the spare tire. Then follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for: “Program Spare Tire Sensor ID” under Miscellaneous Functions for the WIN (Wireless Ignition Node) menu item as appropriate. Then install the spare tire with one of the active road tires.

NOTE: If replacing the WIN, the spare tire must be dismounted from its wheel to access and note the spare tire pressure sensor ID. Then follow the programming steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool for “Program Spare Tire Sensor ID” under Miscellaneous Functions for the WIN (Wireless Ignition Node) menu item as appropriate. The WIN learns the Placard Pressures from the Front Control Module (FCM) configuration on the bus. Go to "Read Placard Pressure" under "Data Display" for the "WIN/Wireless Ignition Node" and confirm the placard pressure reported matches Tire Inflation Pressure (Placard) Label.

The battery operated tire pressure sensor is both a transmitter and a receiver. The TPM sensor can be forced to transmit if using a special tool such as a TPM-RKE Analyzer, or from a transponder. (Refer to 22 – TIRES/WHEELS/TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING/TRANSPONDER - OPERATION) The TPM-RKE Analyzer has the ability to change the sensor’s operating mode and to diagnose a faulty TPM sensor. Using a TPM-RKE Analyzer can take up to a minute to force a transmission from a sensor. The TPM sensor can be in one of the following modes:

• Sleep Mode – This is the operating mode of a new TPM sensor. If placed on the vehicle as a road tire, the sensor will transmit once every 20 seconds when the vehicle is driven at speeds over 15 mph (24 km/h). If the vehicle is not moving, the sensor will only transmit on a pressure change greater then 1 PSI. Driving the vehicle continuously at this speed for more then 4 minutes, and then stopping the vehicle will change the sensor state into Park Mode. If the vehicle is equipped with a full size matching spare tire and the spare tire sensor has been replaced, The sensor must be changed to Park Mode to conserve battery life. Either use a TPM-RKE Analyzer, or swap the spare tire with a road tire.
• Park Mode – This is the correct operating mode when the vehicle is not moving. The sensor will transmit once every 13 hours to update the WIN, or will transmit on a 1 PSI delta change. The sensors will internally take a measurement of the tire pressure every minute to determine a change in tire pressure
• 0ff / 30 Block – If the vehicle has been stopped for more then 20 minutes, or if the sensor’s operating mode was forced to Park Mode using a TPM-RKE Analyzer, the sensor’s operating mode will transition from Park Mode to 30 Block Mode once the vehicle is driven over 15mph. In this mode, the sensor will transmit once every 15 seconds when the vehicle is driven at speeds over 15 mph (24 km/h) for the first 30 transmissions. After about 8 minutes of continuous driving above 15 mph (24 km/h), the sensor’s mode will change to Drive Mode
• Drive Mode – In this mode, the sensor will transmit once every minute when the vehicle is driven at speeds over 15 mph (24 km/h). At any time the vehicle speed drops below 15mph, the sensor will revert back to Park Mode. The sensor mode will still be in drive mode when the sensor reaches speeds over 15 mph (24 km/h), unless the vehicle has been stationary for more then 20 minutes.
Each sensor’s (transmitter) broadcast is uniquely coded so that the wireless ignition node (WIN) can monitor the state of each of the sensors on the four rotating road wheels. The WIN can automatically learn and store the sensor’s ID while driving “within 10 minutes continuously above 15 m.p.h. (24 Km/h)” after a sensor has been replaced, The vehicle must be stationary for more then 20 minutes in order to initiate the learning sequence.
beemer9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
rsq41
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer9 View Post
From 2008 XK manual:
PREMIUM TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING

The system will consist of tire pressure monitoring sensors attached to each wheel through the valve stem mounting hole, a Wireless Ignition Node Placard Pressure"... [/B]
Nightmares... I'm going to have nightmares about replacing a sensor...
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
i took all the damn things off my '07 Chrysler 300. mopar feels the need to use thin solid aluminum valve stems on their wheels. this plus cold climate equals constantly cracking the stems when any water freezes in there. i tried getting better caps, no good. i just deal with the light on the dash. when i go to sell the car they will go back in. after paying $100 each for 2 of them i was done sir done with that horse crap. chevy uses a pressure sensing strip that goes around the inside of the rim and uses regular rubber valve stems. boy that's a no brainer huh? but can mopar adopt this... nope.

some models will not let you use cruise control if they don't sense the tire pressure. it's thinking is you have a spare or a donut on there. in this case again i say eat it Chrysler!

sorry that is the only thing that has ever bugged me about my car. research it everyone has been complaining about it since '06 and still they have not changed it.
GM uses the same style sensors as yours,though they did recently switch to rubber valve stems bolted to the sensor,Ford and Subaru use the rubber valve stem now also.It was Ford that had the sensor banded to the rim,gave you a 50/50 shot at breaking the sensor taking the tire off.

You all can thank lazy poeple for TPMS and since it is federally mandated your never getting away from it and always pay more $$$ for your tire services also because of it.
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
You all can thank lazy poeple for TPMS and since it is federally mandated your never getting away from it and always pay more $$$ for your tire services also because of it.
That is so true. Anybody who can not detect a loss in tire pressure immeditely should not be on the road IMO. Really: sense something funny --> foot off go pedal, eyes on mirrors! nobody needs a dummy light for that. i only have the warning function, when I read about it I went WTF?

Only advantage is when you get in and start up it will tell you not to move. Big deal. Another way to raise MSRP.

Blue WK Club Member #2
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
odell

2003 TJ Wrangler 

another one broke

Thanks beemer9 for the detailed info. I'll get to try that when I replace another one that just broke last night. At least it broke in my driveway and easy to put on spare with my floor jack and impact. I curse chrysler for the dam solid valve stems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.