JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Am I missing anything? Any extra advice? (first lift) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/am-i-missing-anything-any-extra-advice-first-lift-1336832/)

wk_hkie 03-01-2012 08:01 PM

Am I missing anything? Any extra advice? (first lift)

Waiting on a weekend when 2 friends with jeep experience to help with all this since I have none. Hopefully in the next few weeks. Below is what I am installing:

2" RC lift
Bilstein struts and shocks on order (thanks Kolak)
BFG Mud Terrains LT255/75R 17 on JK Moabs (plan on painting black)

My main question is about spacers and the pinch weld mod. Understand I need spacers, is there any major difference between spidertrax and RC spacers other than price? Will I have to do the pinch weld with what I am wanting to run?

Appreciate any pointers on the install or general thoughts. You guys have some sick rigs.

mattydipps 03-01-2012 08:16 PM

Spidertrax are the best spacers available they are lug centric hub centric and wheel centric, rouch country are wheel and lug centric only, but the rc are still great spacers, im running them and alot of guys are running them.... Yes the pinch weld will deff have to be done... but make sure your start pb blasting that lower strut bolt a few days in advance!!

wk_hkie 03-07-2012 06:58 AM

Thanks for all of the advice Matt. Can't wait to get everything done.

IndyBlueWK 03-07-2012 07:07 AM

Make sure to show photos of the pinch weld mod!

paroxysym 03-07-2012 08:04 AM

a set of wheel spacers- 1/4" will work or something larger. with that agressive tread pattern id consider looking into doing your front pinch weld sooner or later. good luck.

dieseljeep07 03-07-2012 10:05 AM

Like Mattydipps said, start hitting that lower strut bolt with pb blaster a couple of days before. I never did get mine out and had to work it a different way, but it sure would have been easier to take that bolt out, if I could get it to move.

IndyBlueWK 03-07-2012 12:46 PM

The old man shocks (n190) that are made for a two inch lifted wk are 25.9 inches fully extended and the bilsteins 24-186803 are only 24.33 inches fully extended..

My point is four wheel parts whos putting my kit on said that i needed longer shocks said that a stock shock which is around 24 inches wouldnt be good to use.. Are they trying to up sale me or do i need the longer shocks?

I know a lot of people say that you can run a stock shock but why is the old man shock almost 26 inches long?

mattydipps 03-07-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyBlueWK (Post 13194132)
The old man shocks (n190) that are made for a two inch lifted wk are 25.9 inches fully extended and the bilsteins 24-186803 are only 24.33 inches fully extended..

My point is four wheel parts whos putting my kit on said that i needed longer shocks said that a stock shock which is around 24 inches wouldnt be good to use.. Are they trying to up sale me or do i need the longer shocks?

I know a lot of people say that you can run a stock shock but why is the old man shock almost 26 inches long?

the old man shock gives a rake in the back ... a 2 inch lift will "level" the truck and since the rear wheel well is smaller then the front.. it will also give the appearance that the truck is "squatting"... if you go with a longer shock you will thus raise the rear and keep the rake, i have stock shocks on but my mlls are in the mail to raise the rear up a bit and help with my towing... i have a boat and two jetskis.

IndyBlueWK 03-07-2012 01:39 PM

So can someone post some photos of a 2" kit with stock size shocks and one with longer shocks?

patrickrobins 03-07-2012 02:19 PM

Before:
http://patrobinsonphoto.com/pic/before.JPG

After:
http://patrobinsonphoto.com/pic/after.JPG

I have the 2 inch Rough Country with the longer Monroe Load Levelers.

terrasmak 03-07-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyBlueWK (Post 13194452)
So can someone post some photos of a 2" kit with stock size shocks and one with longer shocks?

It will look the same

t3kmitch 03-07-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyBlueWK (Post 13194452)

Technically a shock wouldn't have any material change in the ride height. Some of us are using Monroe Load Levelers in a size longer than stock and getting lift out of them, but it is not necessarily because they are longer but because they are coil overs, so they take some of the load off of the rear springs. If you take 2 bilsteins of different sizes you won't see any significant difference.

However, the shop isn't right nor wrong. You can run stock shocks without an issue, however they won't perform to their full potential. Hard to explain, but at a resting state a stock shock and a longer shock will be the exact same length. This means the stock shock is resting at a starting point that it wasn't intended to be at, so it may affect the dampering ability of the shock. I don't know if it applies to a standard gas charged shock, but with the MLL's the further they compress the more force they exert, leading to increased lift (it's pushing up on the weight of the Jeep more), and a firmer ride since it now takes more force to compress them.

If that doesn't make sense then just ignore it, had a few drinks already. :cheers:

IndyBlueWK 05-11-2012 09:00 AM

but that photo was with the load levelers.... not the OLD man shocks.... That extra 2" in the old man shock doesnt mean its going to lift the jeep up 2 inches... the OME shocks dont change the ride height..

This is the shock you need its the right length unlike the "stock replacment" its the closest to the OME shock..

http://www.my4by.com/image/cache/dat...00-500x500.jpg

Part Number: BIL33-151632
Bilstein 5100 Series Shock Absorber
Collapsed Length (IN): 15.91
Extended Length (IN): 25.93
Travel Length (IN): 10.02
Lower Mount: Eye 12.2mm
Upper Mount: Eye 12.1mm
Shaft Diameter: 14mm
Reservoir: No
Finish: Zinc plated
Body Design: 46mm ID smooth body (Non-coilover)
Internal Design: Mono tube
Boot Included: Yes

From everything I have looked up this is what I have found to most likely be the best bilstein shock for my WK when I do my 2 inch lift for the price I can get them at..

Malone_Tim 05-12-2012 09:22 PM

From the research I've done, the difference in the shock length is in its maximum extension and has no effect on the vehicle lift. The OME's will simply give you an extra 2" extension for assurance you won't blow out the shock during articulation.

AJeepZJ 05-12-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wk_hkie (Post 13191976)
Thanks for all of the advice Matt. Can't wait to get everything done.

That's same time frame I'm supposed to head up to Gore, Va. Lemme know if you need extra hands.

The time now is 11:01 AM.