Almost time to lift and rebuild the fron suspension, whole control arms or just balls - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Almost time to lift and rebuild the fron suspension, whole control arms or just balls

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
deputyjason
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Almost time to lift and rebuild the fron suspension, whole control arms or just balls

Looking at Rock Auto, I can get Raybestos Professional grade upper and lower control arm assemblies for around $400. I can just get the same ball joints for around $100.

I have the big C clamp style ball joint tool, so thats not an issue. I will be in there installing new struts and lifting it 2 in so everything will already be apart.

Which is the better option?

deputyjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

I've not done any suspension service on the WK yet, so I'm not totally familiar with it...however.

The upper arm should include new bushings as well which is never a bad idea. The lower should include one of the bushings if bought as an assembly, if I recall correctly.

If your bushings are in good shape, I would just do the ball joints and save that coin. But by the time you factor in bushing cost you're possibly further ahead to do it all together now and save the labor of replacing bushings separately.
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

If your control arms are fine I wouldn't mess with them unless you plan to beat them up offroad. If you do then I would go with JBA UCA's since they are beefier than stock. Havnt heard of the brand of UCA and LCA your looking at.
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
deputyjason
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
If your control arms are fine I wouldn't mess with them unless you plan to beat them up offroad. If you do then I would go with JBA UCA's since they are beefier than stock. Havnt heard of the brand of UCA and LCA your looking at.
I was qouting stock replacement part prices from Rock Auto.
deputyjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
JKM
2005 WK 

I would recommend going to full replacement control arms are they include all new bushings. While they may be OK now, they may fail in the future and replacing the assembly now avoids dealing with it in the future.

The other thing, many here have had problems removing the lower strut bolt from the LCA. Some have had to cut the but and destroy the bushing in the LCA. Going with new LCA you can torch out the old bushing in the old LCA.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.