JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Almost ran out of gas today (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/almost-ran-out-gas-today-228241/)

SYCOHEMI 01-13-2006 11:26 PM

Almost ran out of gas today

I left the house in a rush for an appointment and saw that my computer indicated I had about 20 miles left of gas. The street that I wanted to take was closed off, so I took an on ramp and got on the freeway, thinking I would take the nearest exit. Well, as luck would have it, that was blocked off, so I exited at the next offramp, several miles away. By the time I got off, I had 7 miles left, which was probably an accurate distance reading, since I was now at least 12-13 miles from my home.

I searched for a gas station and it went down to 0 miles, while I waited at a long stoplight, and then back up to 2 miles. Kind of scary, but car wasn't shaking yet. And thankfully the signal light eventually changed, and I was able to get a full tank. Interestingly enough, the idiot gas light didn't turn on until I had about 10 miles left according to the computer.

I put in about 17.75 gallons.

Do you think the computer is pessimistic? How many gallons are supposed to be left when the idiot light goes on?

marlon_jbt 01-14-2006 05:11 AM

There's a heck of a lot of gas left when you're on empty. From my experience with Jeeps... the tank measurement system is in fact pessimistic. I'd guess 3-4 gallons. That's been my experience with my Liberty.

CinciSurWJ 01-14-2006 07:25 AM

Probably around 2-3 gallons left in the gas tank. I have driven around 15-20 miles after the computer showed 0 miles.

INTREPER 01-14-2006 11:42 AM

from experience, it takes a few near empty runs on the tank before the computer learns how much it really has until it's empty.

RWB214 01-14-2006 11:58 AM

On my XJ the computer just gives you a ballpark figure. I usually have 20-30 miles left when the DTE says 0

grogie 01-14-2006 09:27 PM

On my Liberty, I recall reading that the computer estimates over the last several tanks by the mpg. Plus I think they just gave us extra room so you donít run it empty. When my fuel light comes on, I still have three gallons left.

SYCOHEMI 01-14-2006 11:21 PM

Thanks Everyone for the quick responses, this is all very helpful.

That was kind of scary, but I feel much better now. I need all the extra miles I can get, since it seems like I am filling it up all the time.

I wish our tank was a couple gallons larger. Well, I guess since I haven't been using my last couple gallons, this information might be a big help as I put it to use.

bullaculla 01-22-2006 12:31 PM

The most I ever had to put in after running it dry was 19 gallons. I really thought I was gonna run out, but still had over a gallon left. It reads 0 miles till empty pretty early.

Woody 01-22-2006 01:56 PM

For your info, it's not a good idea to run lower than 1/4 tank. Your fuel pump is located in the tank and uses the fuel to cool and lubricate the pump. If you run less than 1/4 the cooling capacity of the gas is not nearly what it was when full and your pump will run warmer. If you run like this often you will probably become a victim of a fuel pump failure after your factory warranty expires. (Pumps like this know when it's done and they wait until 100 miles after the warranty expires before quitting.)

My ZJ's fuel tank wasn't allowed to dip below 1/4 during it's life and it went to 180K miles before it bit the dust.

Yet, my 99 WJ went too low once (thanks to the wife) and it quit around 45K.

I know it stinks to have to fill up more often, but fuel pumps cost almost $550 just for the pump, and it's usually another $200 in labor to change. Save yourself some money and fill it up more often.

Also, when filling up, try to top it off. The filter in the fuel tank is cleaned when you fill it up. The debris reside in the bottom of the tank where they stay until you pull the fuel pump someday. They will not hurt anything there. If you don't clean the filter by filling up the pump will have to work harder to get the required fuel pressure and eventually it will result in premature failure of the pump as well.

BTW, if a pump lives to 150K, it has surpassed it's life expectancy.

Just trying to pass a little info.

MagnumMustache 01-25-2006 04:49 PM

I agree with Airmanwoody.... letting your tank run dry can be a really bad habit to get into - especially on these Commanders that give you all this data on how much gas you have left... you have no excuse.

ArloGuthroJeep 01-25-2006 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airmanwoody
Also, when filling up, try to top it off. The filter in the fuel tank is cleaned when you fill it up. The debris reside in the bottom of the tank where they stay until you pull the fuel pump someday. They will not hurt anything there. If you don't clean the filter by filling up the pump will have to work harder to get the required fuel pressure and eventually it will result in premature failure of the pump as well.

Bad for the enviroment to fill up the filler neck past where it clicks...

TRCommander 01-29-2006 10:45 AM

When the gas light comes the computer is going to tell you that your have 0 gallons left but you will have 2-3 gallons left when the light comes. I know in my wrangler I had 3 gallons left when the gas light came on.

SYCOHEMI 01-31-2006 01:19 AM

Thanks for all the advice! I think I am going to aim for filling up when the light goes on. Today, shortly after the light went on, it again showed 0 miles left, and I put in just under 18 gallons. So, I probably have a couple gallons left, and my fuel pump should be okay. Since the tank is so small, I don't think I'm willing to keep filling it up every 3/4 tank.

INTREPER 02-15-2006 12:42 PM

I ran the tank down this week just for the heck of it.
When I had the low fuel light come on, the EVIC showed I had 8 miles left til empty.
I drove around for 30 miles more with the light on. The evic kept displaying between 2, 5, and 8 miles til empty the entire time.
When I finally decided to pull over and fuel up, I was only able to pump 18 gallons into the tank.
At least I know I have a little safety cushion should I ever need to push the limit.

_Kyle_ 03-05-2006 07:25 PM

It's a pretty bad idea to drive around with less than 1/2 tank in the winter, atleast if you live where it snows. If you ever get caught in anything, i'm sure you'd rather have a nearly full tank of gas instead of having only 1/8th of a tank becuase you like to wait until the last minute to fill up.

The time now is 10:16 PM.