for all the budget boost guys with 285s.... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > for all the budget boost guys with 285s....

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
andrew44
2005 WK 

[quote=JRLT;13509997]I signed up at photobucket.com, accounts are free. Just upload your pics, then copy & paste the "IMG" code in the text field.

[IMG][/IMG]

aaaaahhh thank you. here is what it looks like side view. 285's with 1.5" spacers. which are a must. i will get photos up tonight when i get home of what i did to the front fender plastic

Unread 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
andrew44
2005 WK 

[IMG][/IMG]

got a little rubb in this pic on the left rear lol.
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

I wouldn't be so quick to downloplay the practicality of 285's on a 2" lift or less. For those who wheel 3x's a year, then 285's are not in your best interest. But if your on the trail once a month or more (at least that is my justification), it has it's advantages and it's simple really. Bigger meats add clearance while enabling you to traverse larger obstacles. It can be the differences between your tire acting like it's hitting a wall, or it acting like you just jumped over a rock.

How useful is it on 3.7's w/out 4lo? That's something that I'm still testing. trying to get out to Uwharrie on a dry day so I can do some rocks.
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to downloplay the practicality of 285's on a 2" lift or less. For those who wheel 3x's a year, then 285's are not in your best interest. But if your on the trail once a month or more (at least that is my justification), it has it's advantages and it's simple really. Bigger meats add clearance while enabling you to traverse larger obstacles. It can be the differences between your tire acting like it's hitting a wall, or it acting like you just jumped over a rock.

How useful is it on 3.7's w/out 4lo? That's something that I'm still testing. trying to get out to Uwharrie on a dry day so I can do some rocks.
There's no doubt bigger meats will get you over bigger stuff, but like I said in my first post in the thread: it's a catch 22 IMO. Take your rig for example, AJ, would you have put 285's on if you hadn't gained more room in the wheel wells with the Load Levelers?
Since my lift install back in Sept. I've been out at least once a month on the trails. I have to say the OME HD/265's is a good combo - I def want to go to 285's but right now that seems like it would compromise my wheel wells (maybe it wouldn't - I don't know). I had some slight to moderate rubbing f/r on the trails before I modded the p/w and rear fender. Each time out I have tried new things and pushed a little more than the time before. To the point the p/w and rear fender mods were inevitable. But I see guys w/ bb's adding MLL's to get a good stance and they look great with 265's - it just seems 285's would fill up so much of the wheel well that there wouldn't be room for movement and now the suspension isn't being maximized. (Although andrew posted some pics with nice flex on 285's).
I don't know, this is a great thread and discussion and I'm def still learning what is possible and what those possibilies are capable of - I just think with my current set-up 285's would get stuffed and rub all the time out on the trails.
But then again........I can't say with certainty unless I tried it.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
andrew44
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
There's no doubt bigger meats will get you over bigger stuff, but like I said in my first post in the thread: it's a catch 22 IMO. Take your rig for example, AJ, would you have put 285's on if you hadn't gained more room in the wheel wells with the Load Levelers?
Since my lift install back in Sept. I've been out at least once a month on the trails. I have to say the OME HD/265's is a good combo - I def want to go to 285's but right now that seems like it would compromise my wheel wells (maybe it wouldn't - I don't know). I had some slight to moderate rubbing f/r on the trails before I modded the p/w and rear fender. Each time out I have tried new things and pushed a little more than the time before. To the point the p/w and rear fender mods were inevitable. But I see guys w/ bb's adding MLL's to get a good stance and they look great with 265's - it just seems 285's would fill up so much of the wheel well that there wouldn't be room for movement and now the suspension isn't being maximized. (Although andrew posted some pics with nice flex on 285's).
I don't know, this is a great thread and discussion and I'm def still learning what is possible and what those possibilies are capable of - I just think with my current set-up 285's would get stuffed and rub all the time out on the trails.

I only rub when flexing hard like that. i do not have MLL's. have Bilstiens. on the trails its smooth sailing.
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #21
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew44 View Post
I only rub when flexing hard like that. i do not have MLL's. have Bilstiens. on the trails its smooth sailing.
See - that's the real world feedback kind of stuff that trumps my hypothesizing

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #22
elfirebird
2005 WK 

Quote:
Catch-22 indeed. Essentially it is a bit of a sacrifice of wheel travel upwards to gain ground clearance at the differentials. People are gonna do what they wanna do anyways, right??

I know what I'm doing... placed the wheel tire order today... Be next friday before my wheels get here, but tires on tuesday!
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #23
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:

Quote:
i can see where both of you are coming from... but for arguements sake a 285could be the difference between running a blue and running a green trail.....

for the novice, occasional wheelier i dont think thats a bad thing but for the more extreme off roader i think it could be a problem but then again what MAJOR off roader is pushing a BB?.... i mean heck i would be a dumba** for even attempting to wheel some of the trails i see you guys running in my bb.

i guess the form does follow function but idk i think this could be one of those loop holes
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:

Absolutely! The ONLY reason I added MLL's was to counter the immense amount of weight from skids, and gear in my cargo. I always tell folks this... but Chris (Jager) was sporting 33x12.5's with his BB lift before he decided to go for the 8" lift.
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #25
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Here is just two pics... mind you i'm not disconnected in the rear. And i'm not rubbing in this pic at all. And I have room to spare!

Unread 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #26
mattydipps
2006 WK 

your running spacers there too right aj?

looks like if you really wanted to... you could stuff a couple more inches of flex in there
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #27
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
your running spacers there too right aj?

looks like if you really wanted to... you could stuff a couple more inches of flex in there
yeah... the 1.5" Spidertrax.
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #28
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Absolutely! The ONLY reason I added MLL's was to counter the immense amount of weight from skids, and gear in my cargo. I always tell folks this... but Chris (Jager) was sporting 33x12.5's with his BB lift before he decided to go for the 8" lift.
Yeah, I remember you mentioning in your build thread the burdon of weight from the armor and your garage shop of assorted tools being the reason for the longer rear shocks.

I was just asking because I didn't know if throwin the 285's on was a byproduct of the boost the Monroes gave.......I mean if they gave you more room why not? You don't have strut spacers up front right?

Your pics are another testament to real world info and feedback.
Good stuff (pun intended)

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #29
andrew44
2005 WK 

Quote:
Here is just two pics... mind you i'm not disconnected in the rear. And i'm not rubbing in this pic at all. And I have room to spare!

you have sawys on and no rub? hmmm you have MLL's? also it looks like you are on flat ground. pictures always look screwy.
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
I was just asking because I didn't know if throwin the 285's on was a byproduct of the boost the Monroes gave.......I mean if they gave you more room why not? You don't have strut spacers up front right?
No spacers up front, I bought some but ended up not installing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew44 View Post
you have sawys on and no rub? hmmm you have MLL's? also it looks like you are on flat ground. pictures always look screwy.
Sway bars are connected, MLL's are installed. I'm not sure what you mean. the rear is on flat ground. But, the front driver-side wheel is going up the hill, hence the compression on rear passenger-side.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.