for all the budget boost guys with 285s.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > for all the budget boost guys with 285s....

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 05-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
mattydipps
2006 WK 

for all the budget boost guys with 285s....

i know there has been a recent increase in the guys who are running smaller then an ome lift with 285s on their rig and since theres not too many in the wheel/combo sticky.. if you guys could as to be so kind to post some pictures of your rig and your lift... and what did you have to do to get them in there ??

thanks fellas !

Unread 05-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
elfirebird
2005 WK 

C'mon matty, I just talked myself *out* of doing 285s.. you're gonna make me regret my decision, arent you?
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
JRLT
2010 WK 

I was just thinking 285/60/18's till I saw how much width it would add.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
elfirebird
2005 WK 

Hypothetically at least, I think with a 0 offset rim, 2inch lift, Bilsteins, strut spacers, and MLL's on the back, it'd work. Thats what I was considering doing. Naturally you'd have to take care of the pinch weld, and likely have to do bumpstop extensions in the back and possibly the fender lip mod.... but I think it'd be doable. I just decided, at this point, I dont wanna go through all that effort.
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
mattydipps
2006 WK 

ive seen a few guys on here with 285s... and they look so sweet on the truck, but as far as how plausable they are off road ??.... i think theyre more for cosmetics then for purpose...

i just think they look sooo sweet
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
JRLT
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
i think theyre more for cosmetics then for purpose...
That's what I was thinking too!
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
elfirebird
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLT View Post
That's what I was thinking too!
Well, they won't stuff up in the fenders as well as the smaller sizes, but they should give you more functional clearance. The main reason to lift a vehicle is to make room for larger tires, which increases ground clearance... especially between the differentials and the ground. Theres no other way to increase the clearance there except for larger tires.
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
JRLT
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfirebird View Post
Well, they won't stuff up in the fenders as well as the smaller sizes, but they should give you more functional clearance. The main reason to lift a vehicle is to make room for larger tires, which increases ground clearance... especially between the differentials and the ground. Theres no other way to increase the clearance there except for larger tires.
I'm not running a lift but I'm thinking I could go this route without one.
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfirebird View Post
This is true - but - if you need more clearance you're probably gonna need some room to flex as well. It's a double edged sword.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
paroxysym
2007 WK 

couple things to look into with the 285s- bumpstops in the rear and your pinch welds. the more i look at 285s, its prob going to be more of a cosmetic enhancement than a functional enhancement...

i think i lived out west where the wheeling was more flat surfaces and less muddy, etc...- id do 285s in a heartbeat. but here on the east coast, the amount of moisture, mud, rocks, etc at the ORPs around here, flexing is inevitable.
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym
couple things to look into with the 285s- bumpstops in the rear and your pinch welds. the more i look at 285s, its prob going to be more of a cosmetic enhancement than a functional enhancement...

i think i lived out west where the wheeling was more flat surfaces and less muddy, etc...- id do 285s in a heartbeat. but here on the east coast, the amount of moisture, mud, rocks, etc at the ORPs around here, flexing is inevitable.
Cosmetic - exactly. If a guy just wants to fit thebiggest tire the wheel well will accommodate the possibilities will be less limited. But if you want it to be functionally wheelable you have to consider up travel during flex. If you have to extend your bump stops to the point of minimal uptravel in order to stay out of your wheel well you may as well drop the Jeep and get a street performance suspension setup with big rims and low profile meats.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
andrew44
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
i know there has been a recent increase in the guys who are running smaller then an ome lift with 285s on their rig and since theres not too many in the wheel/combo sticky.. if you guys could as to be so kind to post some pictures of your rig and your lift... and what did you have to do to get them in there ??

thanks fellas !
You can look in my gallery. i just did it with 285 nittos. yes you do not get much flex room but it is still functional with all the pinch and rear fender mod. its a little bit of work but i think its worth it for the clearance. i would suggest the rear bump stop modd tho. i stuff the tire in the well a little to often but no real damage. i did my own mod to the front to make it not rub at all. after folding down the pinch weld and sealing it. i cut about an inch of the plastic fender out then kinda went up a little on the plastic bubble and back down right where the plastic door trim is.(be careful when you start the cut from the back, if you cut to high at first you will expose the frame hole and will probably need to plug it) then took a black sheet metal screw and pinned the back portion up against the firewall.(i put the screw high enough and sunk it into the plastic a bit to make sure it does not grab tire) then on the exposed wheel well i sprayed basically rhino liner to blend with the plastic. looks good plus you cant even really see in there with such a big tire. look at omelets rear fender mod for the back. i have done it, but i still think i need the longer bump stop.

i know all of that is going to be kinda jumbled and a mess sorry. i would love to post pics on the thread but cant figure out how to do it with out loading it to my gallery first???

hope that helps a little bit lol
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
JRLT
2010 WK 

Quote:
This category does not contain any images.
No pics.
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
andrew44
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLT View Post
No pics.
how to post pics in threads????? please help
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
JRLT
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew44 View Post
how to post pics in threads????? please help
I signed up at photobucket.com, accounts are free. Just upload your pics, then copy & paste the "IMG" code in the text field.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.