Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

All 3 Brake Lights Not Working

Tags
brakes lights
808 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Nejeep 
#1 ·
Hi - I own a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the other day all 3 brakes light just stopped working. The tail lights and the flashers both work. I took it to the mechanic but he couldn't figure it out. He looked at the sockets, the brake light switch, etc. He thinks it's some sort of electrical wiring issue but wasn't positive. He told me to take it to the dealership but I really don't want to since they will charge me an arm and a leg. Has anyone come across this before and know how to fix it?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Thanks! Sockets, brake light switch, fuses, bulbs all work just fine so it's none of those issues, the mechanic looked at all of that. We replaced the sockets too and that wasn't it either. What is weird though and forgot to mention this earlier is that the brake lights come on for a quick 1-2 seconds when the brake pedal is pushed and then they go out even though the brake pedal is still down. It's almost like there is a short circuit or something like that going on.

#5 ·
Do the brake lights act the same (1-2 sec on) when the ignition is ON or OFF?
If it only acts up when the ignition is ON it may be some strange computer issue.

You might check the light socket voltage with a meter negative lead connected to a separate body ground. If the socket voltage stays at 12v when the pedal is pressed, then you may have a socket grounding problem. If the voltage drops after 1-2 sec then the problem is somewhere else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.