Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

aligning steering wheel? (after lift)

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  mb81 
#1 ·
I got an alignment after the 265/70's and 2" lift was installed, but now I notice my stability/traction control engages when cornering or turning through an intersection.
After some reading, I believe it has to do with my steering wheel being slightly off-center.
I have the auto-enginuity software and I'm not seeing any codes dealing with faulty sensors or traction control. (No codes whatsoever on any module). No dash lights come on when I'm turning and experiencing the stability control kick in either.
I read that my steering wheel being slightly off-center is making the traction control system think I'm in a skid and that it needs to be perfectly straight. Can I adjust this myself or should I bother taking it back to Les Schwab to try to adjust? I found a procedure for the older Jeep Cherokee's but not for the WK's.
Thanks

#2 ·
My steering wheel is slightly off center as well, always has been since I bought it. I was hoping they would fix it when aligning but they didnt. I am going to try to correct it by threading one tie rod in one rotation, and threading the other side out one rotation, so the toe setting remains the same but will turn the wheel whichever way you need it to. Only concern is that it will overcorrect it and be the other direction off center.

I do not have any issues with the ESP kicking in randomly or anything like that....

#3 ·
Part of an alignment is ensuring the steering is properly centered. I'd take it back and get them to fix it. I'm not sure where the steering input sensor is, but if it's driving fine and just the wheel is off I'd be sure to fix it "upstream" from the sensor. Check how many turns you have lock-to-lock from centered and that will tell you if the wheel is just in the wrong spot or if your alignment is wrong.

#4 ·
It's really only slightly off center, leaning to the left. I know cars tend to pull to the right due to road crown so it makes you steer to the left a bit - sometimes shops will compensate for that. But if E-rok's wheel is off too and he's not experiencing this, that probably means my theory is wrong. Studying up on the stability system, "To determine whether the car is responding properly to cornering commands, ESP uses steering wheel angle, yaw (turning) rate and lateral acceleration sensors (combined into Dynamics Sensor). Using signals from these sensors, in addition to individual wheel speed sensor signals, the system determines appropriate brake and throttle actions."
I'll drive it around and record the real time sensor data and see if anything stands out. Some forums suggest the Superlift Electronic Geometry Recalibration kit, but it says only use with their 4" lift kits. *Somebody knows that lifting these things causes problems with the stability control system* No fun :(
I'll also be adjusting the tire size with the Superchip tuner when it arrives (Thanks Kolak). Some say that helps, others have said it doesn't. We'll see.

#7 ·
Not really related to the OPs problem but I did what I had planned, thread one tie rod in, thread the other out each one turn. Now the wheel is off center slightly to the right, ugh. Dont know what else you ca do to recenter aside from re installing the wheel?

#9 ·
I've never heard of someone adjusting it that way. When we had to replace the rack in my brothers car they centered everything, then undid one of the u joints at the bottom of the steering column and adjusted the wheel back to center. Do you have the same number of turns lock-to-lock in both directions?

#10 ·
Just adjust the tie rods slightly. It's really quite simple and won't take long at all. If it's close, you'll need less than one full turn on each tie rod.

Changing the position of the intermediate shaft vs rack input should only be considered when that has already been apart. Care should be taken to center the rack travel and the wheel, then adjust the tie rods to suit.

Also, I'd go back to the shop and at least mention that you're not happy with the way your vehicle was returned to you.

#11 ·
I think getting the wheel straight will help. I also think that if Les Schwab charged you for an alignment, they owe you a centered steering wheel.

I don't know why the smaller lifts don't require a module, but the superlift had to have a module to alter some sensor inputs so the stability control would calm down.

#12 ·
I just installed OME HD and my wheel is tilted right about 30° now.. Would love to have it straight again..
Haven't done alignment yet..
I need to wait a bit to get bigger tires. If I get alignment done now will I need to do it again after new tires?
Thanks

#13 ·
You shouldn't need a new alignment with new tires. You do need one with a new lift.

Your lift changes the geometry of the steering and suspension components, but once aligned, the bigger tires will not. There's no reason to wait, that I can think of.

#15 ·
The good news: I got the Superchips to adjust the tire size... and the 91 tune - very pleased! The bad news: it did not help with the traction control coming on around tight or fast turns.
I called the place that did my alignment and they said I could bring it back in, I just had too many things going on this weekend. But after hearing that it may require a better alignment method, I may take it some place else after they look at it.
I tested a theory and took apart my center console to get to the gyro "dynamics pack" module. I wouldn't advise unbolting it and moving it around just because you're curious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.