AJeepZJ's WK Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > AJeepZJ's WK Build Thread

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #61
mrtosh
2005 WK 

On the tread... probably wore off by now. Damnit!

'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #62
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

You had that planned all along, lol!

Anywho, now that the tires are on. The only thing I'm waiting on atm, is the Steel Armadillo Super Sliders, and a few accessories so I can wrap up my anteanna project. Those should all be in by Monday or Tuesday next week. I'll probably be updating my future mod's list too. Need to update it with some new projects
Unread 01-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #63
GrilledJeep
2005 WK 

thing would look mean with some 5.9 louvers
GrilledJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #64
jonjon302
2006 WK 

Bout time I jumped on this thread... Those tires look awesome! You and mr tosh have great taste. I'll be stepping up to those in the next few months and sell my smaller ones. Notice any ride difference?
Unread 01-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #65
paroxysym
2007 WK 

looks awesome AJ, tires look just right with the OME. did you adjust the bumpstops yet? any rubbing?
Unread 01-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #66
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjon302 View Post
Bout time I jumped on this thread... Those tires look awesome! You and mr tosh have great taste. I'll be stepping up to those in the next few months and sell my smaller ones. Notice any ride difference?
Yes, I was sold on these tires when I saw the more aggressive tread with only a slight gain in weight. The vehicle does ride different. It's more firm in the rear because of the Monroe shocks I put in the back. This tire is louder than an AT, but quieter than an MT - Amazing compromise. There is slight vibration around 20mph. I actually like this for now. And the tires do have this pleasant hum when going around 45-55 mph. I love it. I have not tested it yet on highway speeds.

I tend to baby the Jeep a little bit when I change significant things like shocks or tires, to give myself and the Jeep this 'grace' period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrilledJeep View Post
thing would look mean with some 5.9 louvers
Got a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
looks awesome AJ, tires look just right with the OME. did you adjust the bumpstops yet? any rubbing?
I modified the pinchweld and fender over a year ago. So there is no rubbing. Also, as stated earlier, I added over 1.5" in the rear replacing my rear shocks with coil-over load leveling shocks by monroe (part# Monroe 58643). This additional lift made these tires look very appropriate on the Jeep.
Unread 01-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #67
BlackedOutWK
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
Tires came in! Tires got put on!

285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs

looks so good! these will definately be my next set of tires (once i get my ome installed)...good to hear it doesn't put much more strain on the 3.7, was my only concern about stepping up to 33's from my 32's...
Unread 01-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #68
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutWK View Post
looks so good! these will definately be my next set of tires (once i get my ome installed)...good to hear it doesn't put much more strain on the 3.7, was my only concern about stepping up to 33's from my 32's...

When you've finally decided on a tire that you LIKE...ie good traction, self-cleansing abilities, good even wear, not too loud)... And you KNOW the tire fits, it's no longer about the size of the tire - you switch your concerns to the stress the larger tire will add, if any. So, I tend to care about the weight of the tire, load range/ply, sidewall ply... - things that contribute to the weight, haha.

In the end you want to make a decision that best suits your wheeling. I wheel in a mix of everything, mud (though I hate it), sand, rocks, snow (when I can find it)... and depending on where you are wheeling rocks on the East Coast aren't QUITE as bad as West Coast - this would normally effect your sidewall ply requirement. But, anyway, these are things that will, or should, ultimately affect your tire decision.

I just kind of got lucky. There are several 3.7L's running around with 33's. We just have to be a little smarter about our tire choices than the V8's, but it is possible. And then there are other options for improving power, which I plan on doing, lol.
Unread 01-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #69
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

I noticed after my first drive with the new shocks a 'clunking' which I kinda knew what it would be but I wanted to see what it would do. I don't know if the XK's have this problem. But some of the wheel well plastic gets awfully close to the shocks. Anyway, anytime I went down a dip, where the shocks have to respond quickly - The plastic would actually have noticeable contact with the coilovers. So I had to trim this down. I ran out of Daylight to tighty this one up, but I'll get to it tomorrow... Oh I will!

The Issue:
As you can clearly tell, plastic is too close. And yes, I can see that rubber boot slowly making it's way down the shock - I'll have to consult Sal with that one - because I'm not pulling that side shock off, lol. Was a PITA

Solution!
Dremmel Tool, extension cord, power inverter

Nearly done

As I said, I ran out of daylight, but I plan to tighten up the 'finish' so that it looks a little more professional.
Unread 01-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #70
Dusk53
2000 WJ 

Pretty sure I saw your jeep again today. Looks great haha.

East Carolina University
Dusk53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #71
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk53 View Post
Pretty sure I saw your jeep again today. Looks great haha.
Thanks dude - I've kinda been parading around G'ville trying to isolate a few problems, which I finally wrapped up this morning. One day we'll hit up some Bojangles or somethin' dude, haha. Love to check out that WJ.
Unread 01-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #72
Jvenrick

2007 WK 

Wow dude. Looks awesome, great tire choice. What are you using for a spare?
Jvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #73
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvenrick View Post
Wow dude. Looks awesome, great tire choice. What are you using for a spare?
Before these I had my 255/75/17 wrangler silent armor's. I'm just using one of those as a spare (for now).
Unread 01-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #74
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Did cutting back the rear fender well liner solve your dilemma?

BTW - what camera are you using to photog your WK?
The pics you post always compliment your Jeep nicely!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #75
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Yeah - that resolved the issues - It's been quiet as a mouse back there, but I expect a new sound to start turning over soon - the rubber sleeve protecting the shock from the coil is slowly but surely making it's way down the shock. So, I'll have to take care of that soon too. I'll have to work with Sal on that one though.

It's a Sony Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar Camera, takes pics in HD - love the camera. It's not OLD, but it's not new either... I bought it the same summer I got my Jeep in 2009.

Tags
285/70/17 , 3.7l , lifted , ome , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.