Airbag warning light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Airbag warning light

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
hsucram

Airbag warning light

Hello all, I just bought a 2008 Jeep Commander about 1 1/2 months ago, my airbag warning light has been coming on like clockwork once a week for the last two weeks, it will stay on for a out 5-10 seconds & then go out, I don't know if it's a short circuit or a bad sensor or what, it seems like whenever it comes on I'll have some groceries in the passenger seat, I'm not quite sure why this is happening, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

hsucram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

not in the right section, this is the full size jeep (FSJ) section, and none of those ever had air bags.

Anyway, your commander most likely has a weight sensor in the passanger seat, which de-activates the passanger air bag when there is less than a specific amount of weight in the seat. There may be an issue with the sensor, or the amount of "groceries" could be close to the "cut off weight" for the sensor, so the computer is deactivating the bag, which is why the light is coming on.

Try not puting your groceries in the passanger seat, and see if the light still comes on.
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

The Commander section is here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
hsucram

Airbag light on

Hello all, I just bought a 2008 Jeep Commander about 1 1/2 months ago, my airbag warning light has been coming on like clockwork once a week for the last two weeks, it will stay on for a out 5-10 seconds & then go out, I don't know if it's a short circuit or a bad sensor or what, it seems like whenever it comes on I'll have some groceries in the passenger seat, I'm not quite sure why this is happening, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
hsucram

Okay, thanks a lot, I took it to the dealer, they said I need a new driver's side seat belt buckle.
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
05WKinPA
2005 WK 

It's normal. Its just the sensor in the passenger seat. It's working as designed.
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05WKinPA View Post
It's normal. Its just the sensor in the passenger seat. It's working as designed.
X2

And its a bit annoying... so I put all my crap in the back seat.
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
hsucram

Okay, I went to the Jeep dealer so they could give a diagnostic & they said I need a new drivers side seat belt buckle........
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
modernblueWK

Is it the red airbag light on the instrument cluster? Or the "Passenger airbag on" light? If the latter its the weight sensor but those are usually set at 90ish pounds minimum. If its the red light in the cluster then there is a problem somewhere. I had the light on solid a few weeks ago. A yellow plug right in front under the passenger seat was loosely connected. Re clicked it tight and problem solved.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
JRLT
2010 WK 

Seat belt buckle? Are you sure they didn't say windshield wiper? Either way, it doesn't make very much sense.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
Carn75

Really people .....TROLL!!!

10' XK-2" RR lift,255/70 AT2,XD Misfits.
Carn75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
modernblueWK

Who you callin a troll?
Blue WK club #4
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
Carn75

Look at the OP,look at his response...who do you think I'm calling a Troll?

10' XK-2" RR lift,255/70 AT2,XD Misfits.
Carn75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
modernblueWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsucram View Post
Okay, I went to the Jeep dealer so they could give a diagnostic & they said I need a new drivers side seat belt buckle........
Im not sure i would call him a troll, maybe just ininformed and at the mercy of a terrible dealership. There are alot of those around!
Blue WK club #4
Unread 04-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK

Im not sure i would call him a troll, maybe just ininformed and at the mercy of a terrible dealership. There are alot of those around!
I know I'm one... I don't think its a seatbelt issue.

Why would a bad seatbelt cause a airbag light?
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.