aftermarket tow hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > aftermarket tow hitch

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTrick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub Shafts

Unread 11-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

aftermarket tow hitch

My wife just got an 06 GC used with 15k miles for a little over $23K. It's a limited with leather, 4.7 v8, moon roof and all the bells and whistles except nav and dvd player. It has the "tow/haul" mode, but not hitch. I found some on etrailer.com, but they aren't what I'm used to seeing for a class III hitch. They aren't anywhere near as wide.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2006_J...d+Cherokee.htm

Has anyone gotten one of these? When I peaked under the back, I was wondering how a hich might bolt up. We're looking to pull a pop up camper (~2500 lbs) or my small fishing boat (~1000).

'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
cmd peej

Nice deal...

Sounds like you go a great deal. While I don't know what option equipment was on your rig, the MSRP on your jeep was $38,205 without options. I know because I bought one last March and I'm looking at the sticker as I write this. While I like my Commander, I wish I could have gotten it for what you paid! I got about $3000 off AND zero 60 month financing.

In case you don't know or didn't see the MSRP sticker, most of the Limiteds I saw didn't have very many options. Mine came with the following for a total MSRP of $40,625.

Trailer Tow Group IV $255
Quadra-Drive II $650
17" Chrome Wheels $820

Re installing a hitch, check out the following threads. The first one has a series of pictures showing the installation. Well worth checking out if you are going to do the job yourself.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1064

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...read.php?t=959
cmd peej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
jeep_on

Shawn, nice deal on the WK. See if you cant get a good deal on a Mopar hitch from the dealer. WKs look funny enough as it is, and would look really funny with an aftermarket hitch. But thats just my opinion.

A factory hitch would look the best and you will know it fits correctly to your Jeep. I'm sure what they did to the XK, you can do to your WK and make it look stock.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #4
Tispco

Conrasm -

The hitch shown on the link in your question will work on your GC. The hitch is very similar to the factory hitch and uses the same mounting points. The only difference is this one drops below the bumper cover so you do not have to remove the bumper cover, cut the bumper cover, install a bezel, and reinstall the bumper cover. So, it is much easier to install than the factory hitch. The only drawback is, if you off road, your departure angle is reduced and the hitch will drag on the ground since it is not tucked up into the bumper like the factory hitch.
Rocky Road Armor

07 RockRed Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.7L V-8
QuadraDrive II
Off-Road Package
Tispco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 01:18 AM   #5
99green sport

I installed the Curt class 3 hitch and 4-pin flat wiring harness from etrailer about 2 months ago on my 05 laredo. It only took a couple hours and was really easy. You just have to drop the spare, pop out the taillights, and take a couple plastic rivets out of the lower part of the bumper cover. I only use mine for hauling a 5x8ft trailer with a couple atv's on it but it's been great so far. Fast shipping, excellent packaging, prices and directions!
Unread 11-08-2006, 05:41 AM   #6
jim2527

Shawn, install the factoery Jeep hitch. All the parts will run you about $125 . If your good with tools you can do it at home. I did!!!!
jim2527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
99green sport

I priced the parts out at moparts.com and justforjeeps.com and it came out to over $275 with the wiring harness, trim bezel and hitch. Installation of the factory pieces requires removing the bumper cover and cutting a hole in it and then tearing out 7 interior panels front to back to run the wiring harness. The aftermarket parts are high quality and way easier to use. JMO
Unread 11-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input. I'll have to discuss the "cutting the bumper" with my wife. She's only had it for about two weeks and I don't think that would sit too well right now. The most offroading this thing would ever see would be a gravel parking lot, so departure angle isn't a major concern. I do like the way the factory hitch tucks away.

Could some one post a picture of their aftermarket hitch. I was trying to envision what one would look like, but I don't know how low they would hang.

The hitch is kind of a future thing. I'm thinking of getting a pop up in the spring and if we go camping, then we'll need another tow vehicle since I usually take my boat with us.

Thanks for all your input. I'll have to post some pics of it when I get a chance. It's really a nice vehicle. I'm glad we got this over a lexus or subaru.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Unread 11-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
clocker
2006 WK 

are u still interested in that hitch if you are i will take a pic of mine to show you how it looks.
clocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
2006 Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocker
are u still interested in that hitch if you are i will take a pic of mine to show you how it looks.

I am. Only if you're speaking of the hitch that is just below the bumper. I was just about to order the aftermarket one with the bezel, but I also priced one from Alamo Auto Supply (it sits below the bumper) and to get everything installed....hitch (below the bumper), harness, labor and tax, it was $292

I'm just really unsure of how it will look (I've seen some HORRIBLE aftermarket hitches, mainly on cars, that are under that bumper and they look like crap). I doubt I ever do any heavy off-roading, so ground clearance wouldn't be an issue.

I'm going to order something this weekend and do the install myself. I'm confident in the install of the hitch itself (cutting or no cutting), but am clueless when it comes to the wiring, and the link that was in an earlier post about the wiring and how to do it, just made me more confused. Will this modification (hitch and wiring harness) void the warranty in any way?

Thanks!
2006 Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 04:40 AM   #11
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I'd like to see what the aftermarket hitches look like. I've seen the stock ones. I want to see the aftermarket befor I decide which one I go for.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.