Aftermarket stereo install problem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Aftermarket stereo install problem.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 04-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
albert1500
2005 WK 

Aftermarket stereo install problem.

Hey guys, i tried installing an aftermarket stereo in my 05 JGC. wire harnesses are connected right but when i plug the stereo into the jeep there is no power or anything to it. it doesn't have the premium sound system either.

i googled this problem and saw one video on you tube that says i need to connect the RED wire from the harness to the red/green wire that goes to the left lighter?

i'm sure some people have come across this here. can anybody confirm or tell me the correct step to take?

Thanks

albert1500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
hhinton
2005 WK 

I'm not sure it this applies since you don't have the preimum sound but for mine I had to buy this special wire harness from crutchfield to get my to work, might be something to check into.
hhinton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
albert1500
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhinton View Post
I'm not sure it this applies since you don't have the preimum sound but for mine I had to buy this special wire harness from crutchfield to get my to work, might be something to check into.
thanks for the reply.

but i found out that i could tap the red wire from the stereo harness to one of the wires from the left cig lighter. i did it and it works fine.

only thing that isnt the same is, it turns off as soon as i turn off the jeep and take the key out. but oh well
albert1500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
sebastien
2006 WK 

because it is wired to the cigarette lighter probably.. if it were straight to the battery it would be on all the time until you shut it off
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Its aftermarket of course it wont work properly right off the bat. The left cigarette lighter only works when the car is on. So as soon as you turn the car off it cuts power to the stereo. My sub is like this. I actually like it. I don't want my sub running when the car is off anyhow.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
JeepCK
2009 WK 

I am perplexed as to why it doesn't have power. The harness should work just like the factory harness. Where did you get the harness from? Maybe its not the correct one?

Also, it may just be a blown fuse. I would check that first... simple and easy.

My next suggestion would be to just bypass the harness all together and solder the 12v+ wire that the factory stereo used directly to the stereo's power wire. Both wires are usually red wires and you can also just use a wire nut if you don't want to solder.

This way, the stereo sticks with way the factory radio turns on/off and keeps the radio on its own fuse, separate from the cigarette lighter. Plus, if you are using the cigarette lighter to charge your phone or ipod, it may overload the circuit. Stereo's are expensive and you don't want to damage it. I am sure it would work, but I wouldn't feel safe with it.

Of course.... there are two cig lighters, so I would just use the other one that's NOT attached to the stereo.

p.s. - Here is the wiring for our stereo's: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_audio_pinouts.htm

Hope it works out for ya.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
JeepCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #7
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

From what I understand, the remote power signal to the head unit, is also ran through the CanBus. Which as I mentioned in some previous threads, is a digital signal, and is also encrypted (according to all my research)

Depending on what head unit you have (stock cd, stock touch, stock touch with nav) I have read that the wire harnesses work great, or don't work at all.

I didn't get a wire harness for my system, I just tapped into the stock amps outputs. Which I know isn't the most ideal thing to do.

But I did the same. I tapped into the left cigarette outlet for the remote wire. This seems to be one of the normal spots for most cars out there as far as splicing in the remote power wire. Works fine too.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.