Advice On Getting Tree Lines Out of Paint? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Advice On Getting Tree Lines Out of Paint?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
redshift88
2008 WK 

Advice On Getting Tree Lines Out of Paint?

So,

It seems I have the worst possible color for an off-road vehicle, Black. I went wheeling with some friends in the woods of Pennsylvania and ended up pushing a lot of branches with my WK. The wranglers didn't have this problem as they have the cross section of a small cat.

Anyways, last time, I was able to get 95% of the lines out with a liquid polishing compound and some wax. For the deeper wounds, I tried some rougher polishing compound, but just ended up with swirl marks to accent the scratches.

I've been told that using a detergent like dawn will take off the wax, and make for a better polishing surface, but before I try "home concoctions," I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Don't worry, I am somewhat proud of my tree lines.

See below for a picture. The picture looks 100x worse than it actually is, as most of those lines are just moved dust and came out in the rain.

For fun:

redshift88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Those aren't scratches they are custom pin striping! Wear them with pride!
BLACK WK CLUB #87

LOOKING TO BUY: 4XGUARD SKIDS, SUPERCHIP 3870/3872, CATCH CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Jeep's prefer the company of other Jeep's over that of other vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imann View Post
I love the Hemi....insane power....sports car like acceleration.....passes everything but the gas station.....
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
colinzj
2006 WK 

Wax isn't film-building in any meaningful way. Car wash will serve you just as well as Dawn for assessing and preparing the surface (and won't chalk your plastics and rubbers). Between the solvents and the mechanical action in a polish or compound, wax just isn't a concern.

For the easy scratches, it sounds like you've got it dialed in. Keep that up.

For the deeper ones, where most people go wrong is in going too aggressive with their compounds. What did you use? A traditional aggressive compound is designed to cut hard and be polished back out with a series of less aggressive compounds. Most people are oblivious to this and also think their paint damage is worse than it is, so they reach for some totally inappropriate product and end up with the paint looking worse than it did. Meguiar's has for years promoted the mantra of "Use the least aggressive product that gets the result." Whatever brand of products you use, embrace it. Live it.

With swirl marks specifically, it could also be a matter of applicator (terrycloth, for example, would be the wrong material—you want a foam pad) or application technique.
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
Those aren't scratches they are custom pin striping! Wear them with pride!
^^^ This..........

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
bhawks28
2009 WK 

haha yeah I have those all over my WK. I was really worried about it the first time it happened, but I've got way bigger things to worry about. Now I have them all over and I couldn't care any less!
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
redshift88
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post
For the deeper ones, where most people go wrong is in going too aggressive with their compounds. What did you use? A traditional aggressive compound is designed to cut hard and be polished back out with a series of less aggressive compounds. Most people are oblivious to this and also think their paint damage is worse than it is, so they reach for some totally inappropriate product and end up with the paint looking worse than it did. Meguiar's has for years promoted the mantra of "Use the least aggressive product that gets the result." Whatever brand of products you use, embrace it. Live it.

With swirl marks specifically, it could also be a matter of applicator (terrycloth, for example, would be the wrong material—you want a foam pad) or application technique.

I went with a heavier duty compound, turtle wax brand. So, to get the swirls out, it sounds like I have to step up grit in stages to get it back to no swirls? I think that was my mistake.

I bought a set of foam applicators, so I think I went in the right direction there.

Thanks for the advice, folks! I am proud of my scratches! The folks at work think I'm crazy. However, I will continue to try an polish them out.
redshift88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.