Adding a Transmission Cooler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Adding a Transmission Cooler

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
Forcus
2005 WK 

Adding a Transmission Cooler

Apologize if this has been covered (I searched!) but I want to add a cooler while I'm changing the tranny fluid. However I have not found a kit so I figured I'm on my own with fittings, hose, and the actual cooler and mounting.

Before I science it out on my own, anyone have any part numbers, sizes, lengths to lend?

Unread 02-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Good question. I am also interested.

There should be tranny coolant lines routed to the radiator, you might be able to tie into those and add an auxiliary in line cooler.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Nejeep

FWIW, I believe all WK trans coolers are part of the factory AC condenser not the radiator, but you can follow the cooling lines to verify. I disconnected the lines from the cooler while doing the common hose leak repair last year but dont recall how much space is available in front of the condenser.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Forcus
2005 WK 

Just a bump. Other alternative I considered is getting a factory cooler or seeing if there is a Mopar accessory cooler. I don't like the generic mounts or through-radiator plastic things that come with most aftermarket coolers. But if no feedback I'll science it out and post it.
Unread 02-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
Forcus
2005 WK 

I'm not sure about this but it appears that the power steering and transmission coolers are an integral unit. That is, either the Jeep has both or neither. So far here's what I found:

55038177AE - Line Kit
52090052AB - P/S Cooler
52089317AC - P/S Return Hose

Of course with no diagrams I can't tell if this is everything.
Unread 02-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
tom19511
2006 WK 

The power steering and transmission coolers are an integral unit in front of the air conditioner condenser.
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
Nejeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom19511 View Post
The power steering and transmission coolers are an integral unit in front of the air conditioner condenser.
Just to clarify, the WK transmission cooler is integral with the AC condenser. The power steering cooler is a separate unit in front of the AC condenser. Maybe we are trying to say the same thing, but here is a video showing exactly what they look like.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Unread 02-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
tom19511
2006 WK 

Thats what I am talking about 1 Unit dual purpose. LOL
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
Forcus
2005 WK 

Thanks for posting that video, that completely explains it. I never would have thought they would have put the A/C condensor and trans cooler together like that. I've always seen it done as a loop through the radiator.

It looks like unless I want to evacuate the A/C system and replace the condensor I'm going to have to do my own thing (I might do that anyway, I think I have a slow leak somewhere). Maybe before I go to the trouble I'll see if I can add a trans temp sensor just to see if there is even an issue while towing. The stock system (for those with factory coolers) apparently has a thermostat for the trans fluid too, so it sounds like when they designed the WK they were concerned about over-cooling trans fluid. Just sticking an inline cooler on might be detrimental. As far as I know this is the stock trans. and it has 155k miles on it so I don't want to do anything to push it over the edge....!
Unread 02-27-2015, 06:39 AM   #10
Nejeep

You dont need to evacuate the AC system just to add a trans cooler or work on the oil lines. Even tho the factory ATF cooler is integral with the AC condenser they are separate tubes internally. In the video the AC condenser was leaking so the system had to be evacuated for that replacement.

Unread Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #11
Forcus
2005 WK 

Well out of abundant curiousity I pulled the front grill and what do you know - a trans and PS cooler! NICE! I don't know why I have it as this truck doesn't have many options but hey, I'll take it.
Unread Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #12
denverd1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

things make a lot more sense now, thanks for that vid.

So I'm certain I got the trans hot towing my XJ on a trailer the other day. Felt it vibrating/grinding when shifting to OD. Good to know there is a cooler, but its obviously woefully inadequate. I think I'll bypass the stock cooler and put a bigger external cooler in front of it all.

anybody added a trans cooler? the All-in-1 unit doesn't quite cut the mustard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.