Adding fogs lights to 08, need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Adding fogs lights to 08, need help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
ecocav
2008 WK 

Adding fogs lights to 08, need help

My 08 chrokee did not come with fogs, so im buying the fogs and bulbs to put in there. Now I know I need to have a dealer starscan (or whatever its called) it, but my question is, do i need to add a switch or is it built in somewhere?

If anyone has done this, or knows the answer help would be great!

ecocav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
08WKJGC
1998 ZJ 

i added the fogs to my 08, you will have to replace the turn signal stalk with one that has the fog function. I purcased mine as a kit, it came with everything i needed (fogs, bulbs, stalk, and relays)
Unread 12-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
ecocav
2008 WK 

Great info thanks! if you dont minds me asking how much did you pay for it all? and is there a part # for all of that together?
ecocav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
08WKJGC
1998 ZJ 

I think I paid around $200 for the mopar fog light kit part number 82211641.
Unread 12-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
scottydog
2006 WK 

You also need to have the dealer reset the computer to turn on the fogs.
scottydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
TheTrot

Why is the kit so expensive?

I bought the stalk, lamps, and relay for about $125 as stand alone parts.
TheTrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
08WKJGC
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrot View Post
Why is the kit so expensive?

I bought the stalk, lamps, and relay for about $125 as stand alone parts.
I dont know.... I didnt realize the parts were cheaper by themselves. That sucks!
Unread 12-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
meep
2008 WK 

Hey, can you provide the part #s, especially the stalk?

the relay btw is a standard bosch part "12VDC 20A micro relay". I've seen it as low as 5 bux on the net.

M
meep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Jeep Brian

Try this before you go to the dealer to have the lights "activated" (this works on dodge rams without fogs) try the lights to see if they work you may find out that the fog lights stay on with the high beam. The dealer (for the Rams) lets the computer know that there are fogs and to turn them off when high beam is turned on. Again I have no idea if this works for jeeps but it is worth a shot.

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
meep
2008 WK 

nope - didn't work. relay was $9 at AAP. It's not listed in their computer for the 08 wk, but it's GP Sorensen part 41-5620, AAP # R3223.

Mike
meep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
TimmyB
2005 WK 

I got mine from justforjeeps.com 2 weeks ago. Kit was around $184 and came with stock fogs, new headlight switch, relay, 4 screws, and a 10amp fuse. The wiring was already there and just needed to hook em up, and already had a fuse in the box. Switch was simple to take out the out one and slide in the new one. The dealer charged me $35 to activate em. Sux but I guess they charge ya just to drive it in the garage. I am very happy I got em in now though. Im about to order the Mopar factory alarm since it is set to work with the keyfob.
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
mangito
2005 WK 

Have a WK 2005 Laredo without fogs and wanted to add them.
Does anyone know of an inexpensive starscan device, so that you can "activate" yourself? I'm in D.R. Congo, so dealer is not an option. Ive seen OBD scanners(think its that same as startscan?) for sale online starting around $100 -$400 with various functions, according to price I suppose. Is this a viable option or do I have to get after-factory fog lights?
mangito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
scottydog
2006 WK 

You can't buy a starscan, dealers use them to charge everyone a lot of money for 10 minutes work. OBD scanners are differenet, they just read error codes, You can always put in a separate non OEM switch to operate the fogs. The fogs without the stalk switch are available on Ebay pretty cheap. You just have to wire them yourself.
scottydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
colinzj
2006 WK 

You can buy a Starscan (Chrysler is more than happy to sell you one), but it's way more cost effective to pay the $30 or $40 to the dealer when you need something activated. Especially if you can do all your mods in one go. If your dealer's friendly, you can probably even convince them to roll it in for free at your next service.

OBD code readers aren't the same thing as a Starscan; all they can do is read out engine codes and maybe give you engine sensor data.
Unread 02-27-2009, 02:47 AM   #15
mangito
2005 WK 

Thanks for the clarification. Wanted to go OEM but looks like because of the startscan issue Im better off getting aftermarket fogs.
mangito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.