Adding Factory Parkview rear view camera to 2007 WK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Adding Factory Parkview rear view camera to 2007 WK

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 01-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
jscaffidi

Adding Factory Parkview rear view camera to 2007 WK

I bought an '07 GC Limited in September that did not have the rear view camera or navigation. According to WKJeeps, the project was on hold (http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_parkview_camera.htm). I'm here to say it now works, at least for the 2007 models.

I bought an REC nav radio on ebay for $770.00 and bought the parts for the parkview camera system (as shown on http://www.justforjeeps.com/pacapa.html). You actually only need one of the screws and that's only if you buy the liftgate handle with the camera mount; more on that later. You will also need 3 screws to attach the camera to the camera bracket. The camera has three unthreaded holes to attach to the bracket. I used 4.2mm 1/2 inch fender bolts with a hex head, to make the tapping easier (you could probably use 4mm). I bought the liftgate handle to see what it came with because it cost nearly twice as much as the non-camera handle and I wanted to see if it came with any of the camera parts. It does not come with the camera or the bracket, but it does come with the license plate/camera wiring harness.

I'll outline the installation with some pics; please refer to the WKJeeps link for the parts. The radio C3 camera input wiring connector consists of 3 roughly foot long wires that snap into a plug (that plugs into the 3 pin socket on the back of the REC). I bought 25' of 3-way 16 gauge wire to attach to the foot long pieces. This wire needs to be routed from behind the radio to under the steering column, down the panel where the hood release is, under the front and rear door sills on the driver's side, behind the left rear quarter panel trim, up the upper rear trim panel, into the headliner through the wiring boot into the liftgate, and following the existing wiring there to the license plate/camera wiring harness.

This picture shows the wiring under the steering column
This picture shows the wiring behind the hood release panel
This picture shows the wiring under the front door sill
It's not necessary to remove the lower B pillar trim, just use a snake tool and pull it through to the rear door sill.

This picture shows the wiring under the rear door sill

It's also not necessary to completely remove the rear quarter panel trim (refer to the WKJeeps interior trim removal procedures). Just pull up the rear door weatherstripping that overlaps the trim panel and pull up the panel slightly. From the cargo area remove the two screws (not the one with the cargo loop) and pull the panel out enough to run the snake tool through. Once you've pulled the wiring through the quarter panel, you then need to remove the upper rear panel trim. Also remove the trim that covers the rear piece of the headliner. There are two or three fasteners that hold the headliner in place; remove them and pull the headliner down slightly. You can then route the wire to the boot where the liftgate wiring is located. Do not run the wire through the boot yet, as you will need to run an additional wire with it. This other wire will be spliced into the driver's side backup lamp. There are two small openings from the tail lamp area that allow access to the cargo area. They are covered by a black rubber tape (, yes, the green wire under the duct tape is what I added). Two wires run to the backup lamp socket, a black one and a green/white one; you'll splice into the latter. Route the wire with your other cable up through the boot (pull the boot off of the plastic retainer and remove the retainer to make it easier, then reattach the boot to the retainer and snap it back in). Follow this diagram for the wiring to the license plate/camera harness Note, that this diagram shows the front of the connectors. I bought a Chrysler radio adapter harness and pulled the pins out to insert into the license plate/camera harness connector and then attached those wires to the wires that were run from the front and the backup lamp. I did not take pictures of the liftgate, but below are pics showing the camera installed on the license brow (handle).

In this pic you can see two of the hex head screws used to attach the camera to the bracket and the one screw needed to attach the bracket to the handle

The REC does not recognize it yet, you need to go to a dealer and have them add the parkview camera to the vehicle build list. I don't know if it will work on '05s or '06s. The camera has a very clear picture and works great for attaching a trailer. This is the first time I've started a thread and posted pictures; if the pictures don't show up, you can see them here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22370954@N04/. I will check back periodically if anyone has any questions.

jscaffidi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscaffidi
I bought an '07 GC Limited in September that did not have the rear view camera or navigation. According to WKJeeps, the project was on hold (http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_parkview_camera.htm). I'm here to say it now works, at least for the 2007 models.

I bought an REC nav radio on ebay for $770.00 and bought the parts for the parkview camera system (as shown on http://www.justforjeeps.com/pacapa.html). You actually only need one of the screws and that's only if you buy the liftgate handle with the camera mount; more on that later. You will also need 3 screws to attach the camera to the camera bracket. The camera has three unthreaded holes to attach to the bracket. I used 4.2mm 1/2 inch fender bolts with a hex head, to make the tapping easier (you could probably use 4mm). I bought the liftgate handle to see what it came with because it cost nearly twice as much as the non-camera handle and I wanted to see if it came with any of the camera parts. It does not come with the camera or the bracket, but it does come with the license plate/camera wiring harness.

I'll outline the installation with some pics; please refer to the WKJeeps link for the parts. The radio C3 camera input wiring connector consists of 3 roughly foot long wires that snap into a plug (that plugs into the 3 pin socket on the back of the REC). I bought 25' of 3-way 16 gauge wire to attach to the foot long pieces. This wire needs to be routed from behind the radio to under the steering column, down the panel where the hood release is, under the front and rear door sills on the driver's side, behind the left rear quarter panel trim, up the upper rear trim panel, into the headliner through the wiring boot into the liftgate, and following the existing wiring there to the license plate/camera wiring harness.

This picture shows the wiring under the steering column

This picture shows the wiring behind the hood release panel
This picture shows the wiring under the front door sill

It's not necessary to remove the lower B pillar trim, just use a snake tool and pull it through to the rear door sill.

This picture shows the wiring under the rear door sill

It's also not necessary to completely remove the rear quarter panel trim (refer to the WKJeeps interior trim removal procedures). Just pull up the rear door weatherstripping that overlaps the trim panel and pull up the panel slightly. From the cargo area remove the two screws (not the one with the cargo loop) and pull the panel out enough to run the snake tool through. Once you've pulled the wiring through the quarter panel, you then need to remove the upper rear panel trim. Also remove the trim that covers the rear piece of the headliner. There are two or three fasteners that hold the headliner in place; remove them and pull the headliner down slightly. You can then route the wire to the boot where the liftgate wiring is located. Do not run the wire through the boot yet, as you will need to run an additional wire with it. This other wire will be spliced into the driver's side backup lamp. There are two small openings from the tail lamp area that allow access to the cargo area. They are covered by a black rubber tape
(,
yes, the green wire under the duct tape is what I added). Two wires run to the backup lamp socket, a black one and a green/white one; you'll splice into the latter. Route the wire with your other cable up through the boot (pull the boot off of the plastic retainer and remove the retainer to make it easier, then reattach the boot to the retainer and snap it back in). Follow this diagram for the wiring to the license plate/camera harness Note, that this diagram shows the front of the connectors. I bought a Chrysler radio adapter harness and pulled the pins out to insert into the license plate/camera harness connector and then attached those wires to the wires that were run from the front and the backup lamp. I did not take pictures of the liftgate, but below are pics showing the camera installed on the license brow (handle).

In this pic you can see two of the hex head screws used to attach the camera to the bracket and the one screw needed to attach the bracket to the handle

The REC does not recognize it yet, you need to go to a dealer and have them add the parkview camera to the vehicle build list. I don't know if it will work on '05s or '06s. The camera has a very clear picture and works great for attaching a trailer. This is the first time I've started a thread and posted pictures; if the pictures don't show up, you can see them here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22370954@N04/. I will check back periodically if anyone has any questions.
Click free - Very nice write up man! For the pics, next time use the IMG links from flicker not the URL links.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
threejeep
2007 WK 

I have too many thumbs to try and install the rearview camera myself, and the local dealer says that they cannot confirm that the installation will work with the parts listed on the just for jeeps site, even though my 07 nav (82208653aj) has the required three pin connector. Any advice?
threejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
2008OverlandCRD
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by threejeep
I have too many thumbs to try and install the rearview camera myself, and the local dealer says that they cannot confirm that the installation will work with the parts listed on the just for jeeps site, even though my 07 nav (82208653aj) has the required three pin connector. Any advice?
This is exactly why you buy the top of the line model with all the options from the factory. Then you don't have to worry about adding stuff in the future that may or may not work.

Ok, that's my theory anyway.
2008OverlandCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
jscaffidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by threejeep
This is exactly why I created this thread - to tell you that it will work. This really isn't that difficult, just a little time consuming. If I didn't have to make wiring connections/splices it would have been plug and play.

I recommend buying the liftgate trim/handle assembly as I did, so that you don't have to cut your existing one and somehow attach the camera bracket (because even if you cut it, there is no mount for the bracket to be screwed down to). Also, if you do buy it, while it is expensive, you don't need to get the license plate lamp/camera wiring harness.

I've found the cheapest site to order Jeep parts online is http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213794. Just enter the part number from the WKJeeps site. If it doesn't show anything call them. I actually printed the shopping cart showing their discounted price for the liftgate trim/handle assembly, brought it to my local dealer, and they matched it. You'll have to figure your trade off between the sales tax and the shipping to see what will give you the best deal.

Back to the installation. Apart from the wiring, all you're doing is removing some screws - 4 around the radio, 2 at the rear quarter panel trim, about 10 for the liftgate trim, and two nuts that hold in the liftgate trim/handle assembly, and then screwing them in again. The other trim panels have retainer clips on them, you just pull them up and then pop them back in.

As for what you'll need in addition to the camera parts:

3-way wire, about 25'
1 additional wire - about 12'
7 wire butt connectors or wire nuts, if you prefer
1 wire splice connector
Chrysler radio wiring harness (open the plug and pull 4 pins out, cut the wires to these pins and pop them into the rear license lamp connector, as shown in the WKJeeps wiring diagram).

Tools:

Screwdrivers
Socket set
Snake
Wire cutters
Crimping tool

Alternatively, you could get all of the parts and bring it to a car audio installer, print this out, and I'm sure they can do it for you, and so long as it's wired as shown in the diagram, it will work. Lastly, you'll need a trip to the dealer for it to be programmed - they should do it for free/cheap.

To 2008OverlandCRD, sometimes you can't get the top of the line. I bought mine because my '04 WJ was totaled, so I didn't have time to order one, they didn't have any '08s yet and only a handful of '07s, of which mine was probably the best remaining one on the lot. I really didn't have a choice and overall, I probably saved almost a $1,000 over having it factory installed (between the camera and the nav).

Thanks drewman141, for fixing my post.
jscaffidi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
merlinTec

Hi
Not done this yet so thanks for this write up but I know dealers that have done it. Not sure the dealer will turn it on for free as I believe the camera is controlled by the FCM and radio and has to be turn on in both or the sales coded added on dealer connect and then they have to download the vehicle configuration and then restore / load it to the vehicle so not a 5 minute job.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 01-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
oH2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscaffidi
...According to WKJeeps, the project was on hold... I'm here to say it now works, at least for the 2007 models...
The project was only "on hold" for 2006 models since there is no provision to "enable" the camera. Great write-up!

Last edited by oH2o; 01-27-2008 at 03:34 AM..
oH2o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
PropDr
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oH2o View Post
The project was only "on hold" for 2006 models since there is no provision to "enable" the camera. Great write-up!
Has the problem ever been solved with the 06 model year?
06 WK 5.7, No Badges,Gibson CatBack, BWoody CAI, Eibach Springs & upper Ball Joints; F/R ADDCO Bars w/BWoody links; SRT8 Bilsteins; SRT8 Wheels w/ F: 275/50/20, R: 305/20/45 Tires; Passport SRX; 6 Bosch HID's; SRT8 Engine Covers w/ 5.7L badge: Kicker Sys.
PropDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
hogcommander

I am wondering if there is a "fix" to get the camera working on a '06 Commander. I have the REC Nav. system and camera from a '07 installed and am wiring it. My dealer's tech. seems to think he can get it enabled. Has ANYONE ever got this to work in a '06 WK or XK, or am I wasting my time and money?
hogcommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
timesublime

That is cool, but you can buy an entire back up cam system at costco for $69 it is wireless and attaches to your licence plate. Comes with lcd screen and all, just my 2 cents, but I have one on my dodge to aid in trailer hook up.
timesublime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2008, 06:16 AM   #11
hogcommander

'06 Backup camera displayed on REC Nav. screen

The purpose is to get the camera displaying through the REC Nav. unit, so you don't have another screen stuck to the windshield or on the dash. The '07s are setup that way and it's no problem. I guess Jeep just didn't think of it on the '06. Again, I am wondering if anyone has gotten this to work on a '06 WK or XK.
hogcommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #12
CRD Owner
2007 WK 

I am very interested in doing this, but I am wondering where I can find detailed instructions on how to activate this, so when the dealer says they can't do it, I can say, just follow these instructions.

Or am I left with buying the $200 REC pick?

Thanks,
CRD Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #13
CRD Owner
2007 WK 

One more question, If you are just putting in the REC radio for navigation, there is no activation that is required, it is just plug and play right? The only activation is the rear view camera?

Thanks in advance
CRD Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD Owner View Post
I am very interested in doing this, but I am wondering where I can find detailed instructions on how to activate this, so when the dealer says they can't do it, I can say, just follow these instructions.

Thanks,
Hi
Tried to talk a customer of mine into this last month with no luck but as far as it can tell you need to add sales code XAC in to dealer added options on dealer connect and then go into FCM with star scan and click on restore vehicle configuration. Star scan will then download the configuration off dealer connect and load it to your jeep.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 07-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #15
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD Owner View Post

Thanks,
Here is a screen shot of adding the sales code
add-options1.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.