Adding Automatic Temperature Control? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Adding Automatic Temperature Control?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
XKJohn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Adding Automatic Temperature Control?

I am wondering if it would be possible to add the Automatic Temperature Control to the WK/XK after the fact? I have a base 06 XK with the Leather package which also includes the automatic headlights. The sensors required by the automatic headlights are also used by the ATC unit.

From what I can tell from the service manual, I think I only need the Dash Control Unit with the ATCs and the Blower Motor Control module. If I just buy these and replace whats there, does anyone think this will work?

The only other thing I see in the service manual is I will need to calibrate the system with the scan tool. I am assuming that this means I would need access to a StarScan?

Hoping someone familiar with the starscan or a service tech can help out here. The dealer I asked appeared to not want to touch this question at all.

Thanks
-John

XKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
GCJake
2011 KK Liberty 

I wondered the same thing, I have a 05 Laradeo loaded up but with the base AC controls, I have friend that can get me the Automatic controls from a totalled 06 Jeep and I was thinking about doing it also
GCJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

This is worth looking into, something I thought about doin in the future. Usually the HVAC (heater a/c) unit has a different harness for ATC as well as the blower module. Haven't looked into it yet, gonna do the steering wheel remote radio buttons first but basicly it should be the ATC head, sunsensor, blower module and HVAC harness if different. The only other thing is wether the ATC option is for dual climate control or single, can you get regular ATC on these or are they dual and or rear controls as well? I'ld imagine it may be possible to use an similar ATC head from another Chrysler product. I put the knobs on with the chrome rings like the ATC head has for now.
YB Normyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
HawkeyeWJ

Not sure if the WK uses the dreaded "blend doors" on their ATC systems, but if they do you would be crazy to switch to that setup on purpose. The blend doors and recirc doors on those systems are HORRIBLE. They are almost certain to fail when the cheezy plastic stop tabs crack and snap off. It requires the removal of the entire dash/ $1000 repair.

Again, I'm not totally familiar with the WK setup but I know the WJ setup is total crap. I have been wishing for years now that I had the good ol' manual controls on my Limited.

just my .02

2002 WJ 4.7 Limited
Onyx Green Pearl
HawkeyeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

Anything can be done, but the connectors are not there for the ATC. There would be major wiring changed that would have to be done, not to mention that since the vehicle wasn't originally built with ATC, all of the modules on the interior bus communication system would set fault codes for mismatched module/incorrect module installed. It would function, just a lot of codes continuously being generated. Ive thought about it over the years, and it seems like more trouble than its worth.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2006, 07:30 AM   #6
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncrone
Anything can be done, but the connectors are not there for the ATC. There would be major wiring changed that would have to be done, not to mention that since the vehicle wasn't originally built with ATC, all of the modules on the interior bus communication system would set fault codes for mismatched module/incorrect module installed. It would function, just a lot of codes continuously being generated. Ive thought about it over the years, and it seems like more trouble than its worth.
Yep, you'll get a ton of fault codes but you'll also trigger a fault from every module if you upgrade your radio, amp, add satellite or even unplug a component and plug it back in if the power is on while it's unplugged. It's like a teacher takin attendance and if you're not there they phone home or your cousin is there trying to pass off as you. This is where they get you, you have to go to the dealer and pay to get the StarScan hooked up and get it to acknowledge the upgrade.

The problem is I don't think there's an ATC head similar to the factory unit on the CAN bus system that has a regular instead of dual zone control. Otherwise you swap a wiring harness and splice a few wires, recalibrate then hookup to a StarScan.
YB Normyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.