Accessing #6 Glow Plug 08 WK CRD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Accessing #6 Glow Plug 08 WK CRD

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Accessing #6 Glow Plug 08 WK CRD

Hi folks.

My CEL came on yesterday. A quick scan shows DTC PO676, indicating an open circuit on glow plug #6.

I had to order a new glow plug in (coming tomorrow) but thought I'd get a head start by at least gaining access to the old plug; however, after about 30 minutes of hunting after reading Chirpz's tutorial, I still can't quite figuer out how to get at the plug to remove the old one.
#6 glow plug is, IIRC, on the drivers side, closest to the firewall. Assuming I've found it on my WK, access seems to be blocked by the turbo pipe and the fuel rail (?) on that side??

Any tips or tricks from those who have been there done that would be greatly appreciated. I'd really rather not have to pay someone to do this for me, as it SHOULD be a straightforward operation.....

I tried to snap a quick pic on my phone - not the best shot, but you can at least see the impediments up in that corner of the engine. This is the first time I've tackled glow plugs on the CRD. Hopefully I'm looking in the right spot (??).

glow-plug-6.jpg  
Unread 01-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

I went to look at my CRD to see how I'd attack it. It appears to be almost a straight shot down to the plug from behind that wiring harness cover. I'd use a socket with an extension and maybe even a U-joint to get to it. The plug cap seems like it'd be best to remove it from in front of that harness cover.
I'm not sure if that harness and cover can be removed or loosened to give you more room to work as well.

Good luck!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 07:38 AM   #3
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Thanks caddydaddy. I 'll have another look at it today. Weather is a complicating factor though - it's hitting -20C here today, so not sure if there will be too much driveway wrenching going on . I'm not sure freezing temps and plastic glow plug caps play well together. It'd be just my luck to snap the cap in two trying to get it off!
Unread 01-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Well, I ended up at the dealership to have the CEL sorted out. It's -20C here today, -30C with the wind, so a DIY job was not going to happen.

The dealership tech screwed me over on the bill though, IMHO. He billed 1.6 hours to pull the trouble code, confirm Cyl 6 glow plug was bad and replace it with a new one that I provided. Cost me $192CAD after taxes. What a rip-off! Strong motivation for me to insulate my garage, add a heater and take a few night classes on auto repair. Sheesh.

On the up side, the CEL is out and the Jeep is back in action.
Unread 01-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
Tuco
2007 WK 

You were smart to take to dealer. Do not pull glow plug in cold weather outside. Yes, they screwed you but be thankful that you are not in my position needing to replace entire head. I stripped #5 threads.
Unread 01-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
You were smart to take to dealer. Do not pull glow plug in cold weather outside. Yes, they screwed you but be thankful that you are not in my position needing to replace entire head. I stripped #5 threads.
I read your other post there, Tuco. Ouch! Hope you get back on the road quickly.

If nothing else, this trip to the stealership has helped convince my wife that renovating the garage might just be beneficial! Not that she'd help with insulation....
Unread 01-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
ur not gonna try the glow plug removal kit?

seems easier than removing the heads and stripping the engine...
could be wrong or missing something tho haha im far from a mechanic
Unread 01-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
TangoTango
2008 WK 

i really can see replacing the whole head just for some stripped threads... vs drill and tap it? Is it some kind of warentee thing?
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2015, 12:03 AM   #9
Tuco
2007 WK 

I dont want to hijack this thread as I have another one going. Anyway, I havent decided yet. I get the feeling that the cost isnt going to be terribly different since I have the parts but maybe I just need to find the right mechanic who knows how to fix head on the vehicle.
Unread 01-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #10
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Just to clarify, my situation was simple - a dead glow plug - versus Tuco's much more complicated issue. My WK's back up and running, albeit after getting bent over at the dealership.
Unread 01-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #11
Lil'Devil

What a coincidence, my CEL came on yesterday afternoon at 167,000 km with the same code. I looked at the location of the plug last night and considered tackling it myself but thought it might be too awkward. I replaced the no. 5 glow plug at 105,000 km myself.

I picked up a new plug from the MB dealership for $30 who had 5 in stock. The local Jeep dealership had none and wanted $70 each!

Took the part to my mechanic this morning and he easily had it done in 30 minutes. He removed the bracket that holds the back of the engine cover to free up a little room. Used a long pair of offset pliers to remove the cap then came in with a 1/4" ratchet from directly overhead and was able to remove and reinstall without any troubles. I think those foam covers help keep a lot of crap out that may otherwise turn these jobs into a nightmare...however my mechanic was a little worried about how long our glow plugs are.

My CEL is gone and I'm back to happy motoring.
Lil'Devil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #12
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Yeah. If it had been warmer here, I would have tackled it myself, but somehow nothing seems to go wrong in the summer! LOL
Unread 02-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #13
chevra
2008 WK 

Thought I would share my glow plug replace story from yesterday. Had #6 glow plug go on me. Got a new glow plug and then went to change it yesterday. It was minus 10 celsius but I let the engine warm up good in the garage and it stayed pretty warm. When I looked at the glow plug I said how the heck am I gonna get to that!. Did some looking online and found to remove the bracket that the engine cover sits on and then I had easier access with a long extension. To get the plastic cap off I used a small pair of pliers with a bent tip, I was just able to get under the cap and carefully pried it off. To my surprise the glow plug itself came out very easy. I was worried about breaking them off since they are originals(97000 kms on them).Overall it went well for me. This summer I should replace the rest of them I suppose.

When I was at the dealer for other repairs they seen the glow plug code which I already knew about and asked if they should fix it for $200 bucks! I said no way for that price. I got a plug for $40 bucks locally(Bosch). I know I can get them cheaper online but I wanted to get this fast and they could get it in 2 days so I said sure. For the rest I will order online.

Last edited by chevra; 02-27-2015 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: addition
chevra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #14
boilermaker2

Thanks for this thread. It gave me enough confidence to push forward. After about 30+/- minutes I had it replaced and testing. Worked well tonight after cool down (not hard to do right now). Will see how things go tomorrow. I'm only out $24. Thank you and thank you for the picture.
Scott
boilermaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #15
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Well, here's a bit of a head-scratcher. My CEL is back on, and the error code indicates Glow Plug Circuit #6 Open - again! This is the same plug I had replaced a month ago.

It's supposed to be reasonably warm today (-5C versus the -25C we've had for most of February), so I'm going to try to have a look myself before bringing it in to someone else. I'm hoping the glow plug cap/wiring is just loose and can be reconnected properly. Otherwise, I guess I'll be buying yet another #6 glow plug.

What are the chances of buying a dud in the box? The plug that went in is a Bosch 80050.

Anything else I should be/can be checking on my own?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.