Acceleration chatter - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-07-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
wraycoli
2008 WK 

Acceleration chatter

Hey all,
Summer time in MI means the windows are now rolled down. We all know this is a glorious thing, but recently I've been hearing a chatter when I give it gas.
I've done some research over the past few weeks, which has lead me down many a threads ranging from exhaust gasket/manifold/bolts, cat noises, overall exhaust leaks, ujoint advisories, transfer case replacements...the list goes on..

In my troubleshooting I've found while under the hood I have a tick at idle coming from the passenger side. Revving the engine increases the tick frequency, and after revving in park the engine sort of bogs after coming back down. However this bogging only occurs while at a standstill. Secondly, while I'm accelerating moderately I'm hearing a chatter as the sound reverbs off of whatever I pass by. This chatter only happens when in motion/accelerating.
I crawled under the jeep last weekend to listen around, but was unable to make any determination as to where exactly the tick was coming from, it's def louder under the hood, could possibly be a lash adjuster/rocker as it does not go away after the engine heats up. Engine also sounds kind of snorkely (is that a word?). I've briefly checked the exhaust manny heat shields but didn't find any loose bolts, but I didn't really give them a good tug..maybe I'll double check those again tomorrow evening.

Research I've done indicated that this is more than likely an exhaust issue. I guess I'd like you to weigh in before I start dumping money/ time into resolving this noise. I've posted five links below from my drive home today, please give them a listen and see if you can make anything if them.

All of these videos were taken with the only the front passenger window down.
v=JXnU8TPtdsY
v=b1DwE2Wnn2Q
v=ZmO0munSoW4
v=4ldYBwVJ26o
v=c2krC1bPiUI
//Links will be here once I get the videos to youtube

Thanks

08 WK 4.7 QTII Rocky Mtn|RC 2"|Bilstein 4600|MML|Wrangler AT Adventure 265/70/17 JKs 1.5" RC Spacer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-07-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
wraycoli
2008 WK 

Also, please enjoy the view of my work bag, golf shoes and console internals

08 WK 4.7 QTII Rocky Mtn|RC 2"|Bilstein 4600|MML|Wrangler AT Adventure 265/70/17 JKs 1.5" RC Spacer
post #3 of 9 Old 06-09-2016, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
wraycoli
2008 WK 

Bump
post #4 of 9 Old 06-09-2016, 08:54 AM
db6163
2005 WK 

Here's a thread regarding the accel noise I had. I couldn't hear any chatter while sitting still and engine running, stepping on the gas pedal and no noise. The only time I could hear it was under moderate to hard accel. So I think you may have a different problem. Check to see if the exhaust manifold studs, two at the front and two at the rear of each manifold are still intact.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...atter-3409418/
post #5 of 9 Old 06-09-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
wraycoli
2008 WK 

Thanks for the input. I had originally bookmarked your thread when I was researching earlier; definitely a good resource.

I'll be able to investigate more this weekend, hopefully I'll be able to narrow the culprit down. Ideally it'd be nice to have parts at the door by 4th of July weekend!

post #6 of 9 Old 06-10-2016, 04:43 PM
lma1973

Mine has the chatter too and it definitely sounds like something internal (nothing exhaust related). I also have 132K on the HEMI and i need to change the oil in the diffs and TC. Im thinking the chatter is coming from one of those.

2005 Jeep GCL Hemi
Gibson 3" catback exhaust
Airaid Intake
Superchips Flashpaq
post #7 of 9 Old 06-10-2016, 11:58 PM
Hemicuda61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lma1973 View Post
Mine has the chatter too and it definitely sounds like something internal (nothing exhaust related). I also have 132K on the HEMI and i need to change the oil in the diffs and TC. Im thinking the chatter is coming from one of those.
I had those symptoms and they went away after changing the engine oil.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-22-2016, 07:34 PM
lma1973

Mine still happens but only under hard acceleration and only when nearing the shift point. Sounds like something hitting the exhaust or something but that wouldnt make sense to only happen at high RPMs.

2005 Jeep GCL Hemi
Gibson 3" catback exhaust
Airaid Intake
Superchips Flashpaq
post #9 of 9 Old 07-23-2016, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
wraycoli
2008 WK 

The accel chatter is still occurring on mine-

Although I have eliminated the idle/rev tick with a few treatments of SeaFoam, must have been a sticky lifter..

Still unsure whether or not the cat(s) are the issue, started the tap test produced no rattle, then moved on to looking at live O2 feedback values. Looks fine in accordance to all the research I've done on the topic.

From what I've listened to from multiple videos online, I don't believe it's the flex plate and I'm thinking it could be a bearing issue on the front drive shaft..still need to do real trouble shooting, I just haven't had the time to get it on jack stands and crawl under there with a buddy revving it.

This morning I found a small amount of grease throw from what appeared to be a pin-size hole in the DS cv boot at the hub..
I'm going to focus on that fix for now - since I'll have it all torn down I might as well bite the bullet and replace my short term MOOG RK's with adjustable BJ's with RRO UCA, cut out the seized lowers and replace since they're at end of life, and install serviceable outer rod ends (because why not).

Just not looking forward to dropping the cash.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.