ac not blowing cold on passenger side - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > ac not blowing cold on passenger side

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
booked101
1997 ZJ 

ac not blowing cold on passenger side

My ac will blow ice cold on the driver aide and warm on the passenger side. I can hear the actuator open the blend door on the passenger side when changing from hot to cold. Any other ideas?

Unread 08-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
amcfanatic
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by booked101 View Post
My ac will blow ice cold on the driver aide and warm on the passenger side. I can hear the actuator open the blend door on the passenger side when changing from hot to cold. Any other ideas?
The actuator may be operating but the probable cause is the blend door is broken inside. The dashboard needs to come out to get to this door to fix it. This is not cheap to easy repair. This also appears to be a fairly common problem. Same thing happened to my 98 ZJ.
amcfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
bobbylx
2008 WK 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/p...-door-2558154/

Read through the above thread. Try charging with refrigerant, worked for myself and quite a few others.
Black WK Club #136
bobbylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
booked101
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylx View Post

Read through the above thread. Try charging with refrigerant, worked for myself and quite a few others.
That's what I was going to try first. Going to have my mechanic empty and refill the ac refrigerant.
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
amcfanatic
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylx View Post

If refrigerant level was low then it would be blowing warm from both sides, not warm on one side and cold on the other.
Unread 08-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
Crankshaft
2007 WK 

If he has the dual climate zone AC, then it will blow cold on the driver side and warm on the passenger side when the refrigerant charge is low.

07' Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
imthehink
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcfanatic View Post
If refrigerant level was low then it would be blowing warm from both sides, not warm on one side and cold on the other.
Nope, I had the exact thing happen a couple years back. Checked refrigerant which was low, filled and no problems since. When low, the ac will default cold air to driver side. I do not have dual climate control btw. Also, if any of the actuators are bad, there will be an annoying click/tapping noise which are easily tracked down.
imthehink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
amcfanatic
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
If he has the dual climate zone AC, then it will blow cold on the driver side and warm on the passenger side when the refrigerant charge is low.

07' Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD
This is a new one on me. Thanks for correcting me on this.
I apologize if I confused anyone.
Unread 08-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
rutro
2005 WK 

Hey my '05 WK with regular old A/C not dual did this very same thing. I chased around trying to make it be a blend door or an actuator until it started blowing warm on both sides. Then the compressor went out. Lack of refrigerant ..... Big repair instead of a can of refrigerant.
rutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
Forcus
2005 WK 

Ditto, had warm air on the passenger side, was low refrigerant. Added some but of course means an overhaul is in order..
Unread 09-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
DCFD522

Having the same problem, dont hear a clicking from the actuator... and I had the refrigerant vacced and recharged. No change. Not dual zone either. Anyone know the location of the actuator if it's bad and if the entire dash needs to come out or not?
DCFD522 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.