AC fan strange noise and vibration. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > AC fan strange noise and vibration.

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
filo8818
2007 XK Commander 

AC fan strange noise and vibration.

Hello everyone,
Since a few days i realized a strange noise ( louder) form my jeep commanders 2007 ac fan.
The noise appear only if the fan is working fast ( from 3/4 to full), and the noise is like a stronger very hard to explain.

I try to switch the engine off and run just the fan to understand if it was linked with ac compressor or engine but is not.

What can be?
Where is located the fan?
Is hard, in case, to repalce it??

Thanks a lot

filo8818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Are you talking about the HVAC fan? The fan that makes air blow out of your vents? Or are you talking about the A/C compressor on the engine? Of its the HVAC fan, it sounds like you sucked in some debris. The fan is located under the dash o the passenger side. Very easy to remove and clean out
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
filo8818
2007 XK Commander 

Im quite sure is not the air compressor. I tried to run the fun without the engine running, so in this case cannot be the compressor.
The noise is like something touching the fan, but only when is going fast...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 09-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
filo8818
2007 XK Commander 

Is there any tutorial about how to clean the fan? I mean just how to access it!
Thanks

Unread 09-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
dgiessel
2006 WK 

The blower motor for my A/C failed last month in the middle of a seven hour trip. Long story short: Hardly anybody, parts houses, dealerships, etc., has them in stock. I had to continue my trip an hour-and-a-half down the road to find someone that had a new motor in stock. Also, the new blower motor cost me just over $190.00. I learned a lot, though. I just wish I had been on top of things as you, because I might not have had to spend almost $200 on a new part, not to mention driving into the sun in triple digit temperatures with no A/C.

It still amazes me that such an expensive part for such an important function is so easy to access-- for which I am very glad.

Remove two black screws (Philips) from black piece of plastic under the glove box. The screws will be in the black plastic where the bottom of the glove box hinges outwards. Gently work the black piece of plastic out from underneath the dash.

To remove the blower motor, first disconnect the wires for the blower motor, as it will make things simpler. I had troubles doing this, but I'm probably the only person who does.

You will need a T20 Torx screwdriver to remove three, silver-colored screws that hold everything in. After that, it should just drop straight down and out.

The entire unit is one piece. It's just the squirrel cage fan (in case my terminology is wrong, it's basically just like a wheel that people's pet rodents typically run on) slipped over a shaft coming out of the motor itself.

Recap- two black screws (Philips) to remove a panel, and then three silver Torx screws (T20) to remove the fan/blower motor.

I took some pictures, but couldn't get them to upload. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM, I'd be more than happy to answer them.
dgiessel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
filo8818
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiessel View Post
The blower motor for my A/C failed last month in the middle of a seven hour trip. Long story short: Hardly anybody, parts houses, dealerships, etc., has them in stock. I had to continue my trip an hour-and-a-half down the road to find someone that had a new motor in stock. Also, the new blower motor cost me just over $190.00. I learned a lot, though. I just wish I had been on top of things as you, because I might not have had to spend almost $200 on a new part, not to mention driving into the sun in triple digit temperatures with no A/C.

It still amazes me that such an expensive part for such an important function is so easy to access-- for which I am very glad.

Remove two black screws (Philips) from black piece of plastic under the glove box. The screws will be in the black plastic where the bottom of the glove box hinges outwards. Gently work the black piece of plastic out from underneath the dash.

To remove the blower motor, first disconnect the wires for the blower motor, as it will make things simpler. I had troubles doing this, but I'm probably the only person who does.

You will need a T20 Torx screwdriver to remove three, silver-colored screws that hold everything in. After that, it should just drop straight down and out.

The entire unit is one piece. It's just the squirrel cage fan (in case my terminology is wrong, it's basically just like a wheel that people's pet rodents typically run on) slipped over a shaft coming out of the motor itself.

Recap- two black screws (Philips) to remove a panel, and then three silver Torx screws (T20) to remove the fan/blower motor.

I took some pictures, but couldn't get them to upload. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM, I'd be more than happy to answer them.
You are really more than nice.
Your tutorial is perfect. I ll try to do it asap especially cause im scared something little can became something serious and here in Italy were i live the jeep part cost 3 times more than usa!! So i really wanna avoid to change it!
Maybe just something is inside of it and when the fan is spinning fast is making noise.
If you have the picture and you email it to me i ll love it!!!
Thanks again for real!
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
filo8818
2007 XK Commander 

I also took a video that i ll upload to youtube but im really scared is impossible to identify the noise I'm talking about cause the air is blowing into the microphone.. But tomorrow i ll post the link so maybe it can help..

Here is the video..i hope someone with good hearing could understand what im talking about...

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Last edited by filo8818; 09-09-2013 at 07:04 AM..
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
filo8818
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiessel View Post

Ok today i finally did it...i removed the glove box and i face all the components...
actually the only think i removed was the one on the picture that i dont have any idea about it!! What is it? whats for??
i clean it up using air and now the strange noise seems gone....but how is possible???
imageuploadedbyautoguide1379620387.691700.jpg
imageuploadedbyautoguide1379620400.405641.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.