9.5 MPG? How to improve? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 9.5 MPG? How to improve?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 03-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #31
jesse12801

If you never hit the highway the mpg's keep going down,down,down..hit the highway once in a while to raise it.Keep it around 65 when you do.07 GRAND CHEROKEE 3.7.

jesse12801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #32
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
The risk of under inflating isn't tire wear, it's sidewall damage. The lower the pressure, the more the sidewall flexes and heats up and degrades resulting in a blowout.
This was the reason why the 90's and early 00's Ford Explorers were extremely dangerous on the highway. Ford had issued instructions to dealers to inflate tires to only 26 psi in order to make them more stable at highway speeds (they were very tippy from internal testing especially the 2 door sport version with very narrow length and width wheelbase). The owners almost never routinely checked their tire pressures leading to < 26 psi tires (and premature tire wear on the sidewalls) and when going 45+ mph they would blow out and flip over with amateur drivers killing most inside the vehicle. Often the only survivor in these single car rollovers was an infant in a childseat as they were short enough that the roof collapse did not endanger them as much. Sad stories about all this happening and reason why low pressure warnings or TPMS systems are standard on almost all SUVs sold today.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #33
ChanWK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse12801 View Post
If you never hit the highway the mpg's keep going down,down,down..hit the highway once in a while to raise it.Keep it around 65 when you do.07 GRAND CHEROKEE 3.7.
Might give that shot. I got nothing to loose.
ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #34
grandcher0kee06
2006 WK 

Reset the MPG's on the dash, if you havent done that since the previous owner had it that could help you get a more accurate calculation. It could say 9mpg but that might be with 50,000 miles worth of recorded driving that its getting 9mpg from. So when your just driving around town it wont change immediately or you wont see any differences. Hope this helped

[COLOR="Blue"]Blue WK Club Member #9[/COLOR]
grandcher0kee06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #35
texan2
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZim View Post
I could be wrong but I do remember reading that you should not use any spray throttle body cleaner on your wk. I do remember reading that it will cause damage.

My Hypertech programmer (part# 52501) gave me a gain of almost 2 mpg. It also improved acceleration. I readjusted my tire size with it too.
Is that programmer the type that you plug in, re-program and unplug? or do you leave it hooked up all the time?
texan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #36
Piepenbrok420
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2 View Post
Is that programmer the type that you plug in, re-program and unplug? or do you leave it hooked up all the time?
You unplug it
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #37
ChanWK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandcher0kee06 View Post
Reset the MPG's on the dash, if you havent done that since the previous owner had it that could help you get a more accurate calculation. It could say 9mpg but that might be with 50,000 miles worth of recorded driving that its getting 9mpg from. So when your just driving around town it wont change immediately or you wont see any differences. Hope this helped
How would I reset it?
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #38
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrain1066
I get 25mpg out of my 5.7L hemi - 12 around town, and 13 on the highway.
Hahaha well said! Same here for me glad I'm not the only one!
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #39
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanWK

How would I reset it?
When you have your MPG's showing in the evic screen just hit reset on the information center buttons.
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #40
ChanWK
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post

When you have your MPG's showing in the evic screen just hit reset on the information center buttons.
Sounds good thanks
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #41
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

10 in town, 14-16 hwy seems to be about average. Also makes me wish I had the CRD!

05-08 WK Service Manual PDF: [url]http://bit.ly/VxI9z0[/url]
dsjr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #42
leftoverture
2007 WK 

I've been getting around 15-16mpg combined highway/city in my 4.7 Laredo. Only had it a week, though, so only about 770 miles to calculate it from. Temps have been in the 30's and low 40's during that time and I've used the cruise only sparingly on longer freeway runs. I did not buy this thing for the gas mileage though. I have my Corvette for that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.