545RFE transmission problems (limp mode) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 545RFE transmission problems (limp mode)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAwesome Open box items at OPENBOXOFFROAD.COMJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.com

Unread 03-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
BobG97
2005 WK 

545RFE transmission problems (limp mode)

Two weeks ago I had transmission failure (limp mode, lost 3rd gear, etc...) so this past weekend I replaced the transmission with a used model 40k miles! The "service 4wd system" message was displayed as soon as I started the jeep after trans replacement. There was no check engine light so I assumed that it was due to stored codes from the previous failure!

Three days later (all with perfect shifts and zero issues) the service 4wd message is still on but the check engine light came on after work today, 5 miles later I pulled out onto the highway and it went to limp mode (3rd gear), I stopped, shut it off and restarted... Light remains but limp mode stopped... I made it another 8 miles and at 55mph with zero load, it clunked really loud and went to limp mode again!

I'm going to check all of the connections on the transmission and transfer case, and disconnect the battery to reset. Can anyone give me any good ideas to find the problem? The nearest autozone/Oreilly's is about 60 miles away!

BobG97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
meep
2008 WK 

are these the same symptoms you had before replacing it?

shifter switch assy comes up often in the wk's.

is the fluid fresh?

possible the TCU has the CVI values stored from the original trans and is seeing this one operating differently, getting confused, & throws code. may need to be recalibrated? (dealer?)

M
meep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
BobG97
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
are these the same symptoms you had before replacing it?

shifter switch assy comes up often in the wk's.

is the fluid fresh?

possible the TCU has the CVI values stored from the original trans and is seeing this one operating differently, getting confused, & throws code. may need to be recalibrated? (dealer?)

M
New fluids and filters, some of the issues are the same as before but not all! I thought about having the TCM codes cleared and trying again, just wasn't sure if that was wasting time and money at this point.

The closest dealer is an hour away and a bunch of idiots! The next closest one is almost 2 hours but is it worth the trip and can the jeep even make it... At this point I'm skeptical.
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Def see what codes it's all throwing in the tcm but it sounds like a speed sensor issue.
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
BobG97
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtosh
Def see what codes it's all throwing in the tcm but it sounds like a speed sensor issue.
Is that a relatively simple fix? My wife Is ON me about buying something that has already cost us $1500 before the first payment is due lol!
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Yes. There's two of them on the drivers side of the trans. Best to replace both if ones bad. Sounds very Mich like the symptoms you're having. Is it always in 3rd even from a stop?
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Input/output speed sensors. $30 a piece listed 3/4 down the page.
http://www.transmissionsone.com/45rf...s_from_pat.htm
If you still have the old trans, you can try and swap those on to the new one.
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
BobG97
2005 WK 

Quote:
Yes. There's two of them on the drivers side of the trans. Best to replace both if ones bad. Sounds very Mich like the symptoms you're having. Is it always in 3rd even from a stop?
No, it will come out of limp mode if I restart it, I just don't like the sudden return to limp mode when driving
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
BobG97
2005 WK 

So after I thought about it, I did swap one of the sensors from the old trans to the new one (the front sensor on the drivers side above the linkage connection... 1 10mm bolt if I remember right). The other one was missing a piece. That would explain what the problem didn't completely stop with the new tranny.
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
meep
2008 WK 

speed sensors... glad someone thought of it. known to fail in the ram trucks from time to time. good call.
meep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
BobG97
2005 WK 

Ok so we cleared the codes and instantly threw a new code (750LR low reverse pressure) so it is apparently sensing that it's going into reverse and tripping limp mode! So I'm goin to drop the pan in the morning and swap in a new solenoid block (I have an extra one out of a good trans) then see if it resolves the issue. If that doesn't fix it then I will be getting a new TCM ! Hopefully the TCM didn't get ruined by the issues that I had with the Intune programmer!
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Doesn't that code mean Low(1st gear) and reverse pressure low? Weird that it throw that code and forces the trans into limp mode at speed. Any other codes. You can also call DS and have them do a forced calibration and set your jeep to stock if the tuner won't allow it.
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
BobG97
2005 WK 

Quote:
Doesn't that code mean Low(1st gear) and reverse pressure low? Weird that it throw that code and forces the trans into limp mode at speed. Any other codes. You can also call DS and have them do a forced calibration and set your jeep to stock if the tuner won't allow it.
It had like 4 probable causes, starting with the easiest first! As for the tuner, I set it to stock ( assuming it actually loaded the stock tune back) then shipped it back to them, so that options out.
Unread 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
BobG97
2005 WK 

Well I spent ALL day chasing down possible causes to the limp mode.
1. Unplugged the PCM and the transmission harness and tested the connections to make sure there were not any bad connections or wires fused together. about 15 things do for propped inspection, thank god for the lift and the ohm meter!
2. Dropped the pan and swapped the solenoid block, then reassembled it!

6 hours later it was back on the ground and so far the "service 4wd system" message is on but the check engine light is off. I drove about 45 miles and it hasn't tripped limp mode yet! I ran it to 100 about 4 times and did a few WOT launches! It was tripping the limp mode 2-3 minutes into driving it so this is an improvement. I'm taking it to town tonight to see what happens! If it continues to fail its a new PCM, I cannot find any other possible issues!
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
tito716
2008 MK Compass 

ive got an 05 grand cherokee that sometimes losses first gear but will return if i turn off the engine and restart. Also sometimes will get stuck in either second or third gear havent really been able to tell, but will again return to normal if I turn off the engine and restart. Was hoping its as easy as replacing the sensors on the transmission as stated above. but I dont know if i have a different transmission or what but I cant seem to find them. Please help.
tito716 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.