5100's and Rough Country lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 5100's and Rough Country lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 11-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Chadwi
2007 WK 

5100's and Rough Country lift

I have all my parts. I am planning on using the 5100's with the Rough Country lift, stock springs, JBA arms and an additional poly spacer in the rear. I read all about the ride height max of 22.5". Do I need to be concerned about overextension of the front suspension? I read that the Bilsteins are longer, combined with the RC lift, would give me more droop than most setups. Is it too much?

Chadwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
airbuspete
2008 WK 

I'm not sure what setup you're planning on running. RC in the front with the 5100's on the "lowest" setting, or just the RC in the back with the front 5100's on the "highest" setting?

I just recently installed the 5100's in the latter configuration.

I had the RC 2" BB with stock springs and shocks for a while. I liked it! My ride sat pretty level from front to back.

However it was time for new shocks/struts so I went with the 5100's. I installed just the back shocks first and being a little longer than stock they brought the back up about 1/4-1/2". I kind of liked having the stock "rake" back so I decided to get rid of the front spacers and set the struts for the 2" setting. I've only had this set up for a couple of days, but it rides great!

Some thoughts: I think I lost a little bit of ride height in the front with the 5100's on 2" vs the RC actual 2" spacer. So I think if you had the RC both front and back with the front struts on the "lowest" setting you'd net about 2.5" lift all around. With the additional poly spacer in the back I think you'd have the stock rake (if that's what you want).

I'm not sure about the over extension or droop.

I'm at 22" front and 21.5" back with my setup.

Here's a pic I just snapped the the garage (only level ground I have) so you can see what end result looks like. Sorry couldn't stand any further back.
008.jpg  
airbuspete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Chadwi
2007 WK 

Looks nice, what size tires and spacers are you running? I plan to use the RC lift front and rear stacked with the 5100's on the lowest setting and stock springs. I'll see how the rake is and add a poly spacer to the rear as needed. I have a crd and am setting at 18.5 front and 20.5 rear, stock. You are at 22 front with just the 5100's at 2 "? About how much longer was the front 5100 compared to stock? I can work out the ride height with this combo, but I am still concerned about too much droop.
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
airbuspete
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwi View Post
Looks nice, what size tires and spacers are you running? I plan to use the RC lift front and rear stacked with the 5100's on the lowest setting and stock springs. I'll see how the rake is and add a poly spacer to the rear as needed. I have a crd and am setting at 18.5 front and 20.5 rear, stock. You are at 22 front with just the 5100's at 2 "? About how much longer was the front 5100 compared to stock? I can work out the ride height with this combo, but I am still concerned about too much droop.
Wow, that's quite a difference from front to back, it must be like driving downhill, ha ha .

My tires are 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers.

I just re-measured the front. It's maybe more like 21 3/4" (I'm going from center of wheel straight up to bottom of fender well, that's right, right?) I wish I had written down what it was stock.

Anyway, I think your plan sounds like a good one. It will bring the front up more than the rear (especially since the rear spacer is more like 1.5", the RC is a leveling BB), plus I think the 5100 even on the lowest setting is still longer than stock by a bit (more so than the rear, again for leveling). I think if you want to have a little bit of rake you should plan on using the extra spacer on the back.

Your mileage may vary.
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Chadwi
2007 WK 

It does seem low in the front, but I read about other crd that have the same measurements. I am going with 285/70/17 tires with 1.25" spacers. I am always the one to try something a little different. I'll try it out and see if I have any bind on the steering rack or the CV's at full droop. I can always use limit straps to stop short of any bind. Thanks for sharing your details.....
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
ca07wk
2007 WK 

You'll be fine at full extension the Modified OME nets quite a bit more with few issues. The 5100 strut is .75" taller then stock on the lowest setting. I would recommend going the OME route, the ride difference between stock coils and OME coils is night and day, and makes it worth every penny.
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
airbuspete
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca07wk View Post
You'll be fine at full extension the Modified OME nets quite a bit more with few issues. The 5100 strut is .75" taller then stock on the lowest setting. I would recommend going the OME route, the ride difference between stock coils and OME coils is night and day, and makes it worth every penny.
Can you buy just the coils, and use your existing shocks/struts, since mine are new?

How much more lift would the coils add?

Thanks.
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
ca07wk
2007 WK 

The lift comes from the coils, and yes you can buy just the coils. The HDs are ARB2991 & ARB2993, MDs are ARB2990 & ARB2992.
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
Chadwi
2007 WK 

Ride height is different than full extention. I read that the OME struts are about the same length as stock, same extended height. So, add 2" spacer plus longer 5100's equals 2+" droop over stock. Ride height could go to 4+" over stock, OME net more ride height? It seems that a lot of people don't really understand suspension. As far as ride, has anybody compared OME coils to stock coils with stock shocks? I am guessing no. The shocks have more of an effect on ride than the springs. It looks like I am headed into uncharted territory.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.