5 to 8 second tranny lag? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 5 to 8 second tranny lag?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #16
T-Rated

First glance on the P2181 is Cooling System; often the sensor.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Bells Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #17
merlinTec

P2181-COOLING SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

Set Condition:
PCM recognizes that the ECT Sensor has failed its self coherence test. The coolant temp should only change at a certain rate, if this rate is too slow or too fast this fault will set. Two trip fault. Three good trips to clear MIL. The MIL and ETC light will illuminate.

· Possible Causes

LOW COOLANT LEVEL
(K2) ECT SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
(K2) ECT SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
(K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
(K2) ECT SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K2) ECT SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
THERMOSTAT
ECT SENSOR
PCM

NOTE: If an Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) DTC is set along with this code, diagnose the ECT DTC first.

NOTE: Inspect the ECT Sensor terminals and related PCM terminals. Ensure the terminals are free from corrosion and damage.

NOTE: The best way to diagnose this DTC is to allow the vehicle to sit overnight outside in order to have a totally cold soaked engine.

NOTE: Extremely cold outside ambient temperatures may have caused this DTC to set.

NOTE: Need to make sure that no Cooling System DTCs are set or changes that would make the warm up much slower or much faster: broken water pump can set this, addition of aftermarket auxiliary cooler can set this DTC.

Was that the only code? I see there is a software update for the PCM but not for your fault but always best to have the latest software level so I would ask them to check this and update if it has not already been done.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #18
heesman

Merlin,

Thanks for the reply!

The last time it was at the dealership they updated the PCM - they affixed a sticker under the hood stating that they did. So I know that part has been taken care of.

I will call the dealer first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate experts chiming in - very, very cool.

Eric
heesman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #19
merlinTec

Hi Eric
they should have put the part number on that label if you want me to I can tell you if it's the latest update.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.