5 to 8 second tranny lag? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 5 to 8 second tranny lag?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
heesman

5 to 8 second tranny lag?

Hello - first post!

I have a 2007 WK Limited HEMI with QDII and seem to have some transmission lag. After sitting for many hours (15+) and go to take off, the transmission doesn't "engage" for several seconds after putting it in drive or reverse. It occurs about 10% of the time.

Any way, I take it to the dealership and upon their initial look they can't find anything wrong with it. It does it some more so I take it back and this time they hook up a Star Mobile. One week later I return to the dealership with one instance of the transmision lagging recorded on the logger. This time the dealership tells me that there is nothing wrong with my Jeep and that according to Chrysler a 5-8 second lag is normal! Seriously?

My Jeep was built in late February....

Does this sound normal? My Jeep has 1,500 miles and so far I have had two tire pressure sensers go, the goofy tranny, outside temperature deally-bob has broken amongst other minor issues. I hope it gets better...

Any insight would be appreciated.

Eric

heesman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
There are issues with the 2006 model for this fault from cold, can’t find any for the 2007. Did it show up any codes?
merlinTec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
WKTrailRunner
2007 WK 

Heesman:
I have the same truck you do and mine has no delay. I think your dealer may be mistaken.
WKTrailRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #4
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

That long of a delay is not normal. I know that some 05 WKs with the 545RFE transmission (the one used with either the 4.7 or 5.7 V8) had delayed transmission engagement problems after sitting for several hours. There is a TSB for the 05 models...not sure about the 06 or 07 models.

The issue for the 05s as I understand it is this: there is an anti drainback valve on one of the filters that somehow allows transmission fluid to drain out of the torque converter when sitting for several hours. There really isn't anything wrong with the transmission, and the delay won't hurt anything (according to the TSB). A transmission filter change was the fix for the 05s.

Mine had that issue...I brought it in to a dealer in CA before driving across country, mentioned the TSB (gave them the number that I got off of wkjeeps.com), and they checked it out. They found an updated TSB that I hadn't seen, did the work, and it's fixed. It ends up basically being a free transmission fluid & filter change if the TSB applies to your vehicle, since they end up draining the fluid to change the filter. You'd think that since yours is an 07 it shouldn't have this problem since the TSB calls for installation of an updated filter, but who knows...maybe you got an older filter in your transmission, or maybe the updated filter doesn't always fix the problem.

Check on wkjeeps.com in their TSB section under transmission, and take a look around...you might find something that helps.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
merlinTec

Hi
The TSB on the 2006 for this fault was 21-016-05 superseded by 21-007-06. you need the build date of the transmission to see if it applies. http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2100706.pdf
Unread 07-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
heesman

Thanks for all of the replies.

My transmission was built on 30 January 2007 so it is not covered by the TSB - darn, that would have been simple.

The logger threw no codes when they downloaded all of the information. My receipt says that they checked the clutch volume index too that showed nothing. Also, my receipt says that "Greg" at the Technical Dept. said that this delay is normal to build up line pressure.

The funny comment made to me by the service advisor was that "I have probably never driven a 5 speed automatic" and that they "are different". I have driven many different Ford transmissions and none of them had a delay (with the exception of my 1976 Ford Maverick's C4 because I was too broke then to fill it with fluid ).

As they say, time will tell.
Unread 07-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #7
merlinTec

Hi
Test drive another one. Then contact jeep yourself.
Unread 07-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
anywaytothetop
2006 WK 

How long did the fix take at the dealer?
anywaytothetop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anywaytothetop
How long did the fix take at the dealer?
I guess you're asking me this question...

I had mine in for a few TSBs all at once plus some routine service, so I can't say for sure exactly how long the transmission TSB takes. But it's just a matter of doing a transmission fluid and filter change, so I'd imagine that it would take just a couple of hours at most, assuming the dealership starts work on it right after you drop it off and you pick it up right when it's done.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
heesman

Update...

Just as I figured my Jeep misbehaved first thing this morning. This time I paid a little more attention. I started my Jeep, counted to three and then put it into reverse. Once in reverse, I did the one-mississippi, two mississippi thing and got to six before I felt the clunk of reverse and was able to back up. Eight days between occurrences.

I talked to the service manager at my dealership and he talked to the area rep. As of right now the plan is to get my Jeep to perform badly enough so that the dealership can see it occurring and try to diagnose it. Sort of sounded like wait until it breaks. They did say that it sounds like the torque converter is draining down (no kidding!) but they weren't sure if it was the filter, throttle body, torque converter, etc.

So, the wait until she grenades begins.
Unread 07-31-2007, 01:49 AM   #11
merlinTec

lol wait till it brakes or wait till it's not there problem? don't think it will ever brake.
Unread 08-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #12
heesman

More to the story...

Today I am driving my Jeep and I noticed that it was acting sort of weird - can't really explain it. Upon starting my Jeep after a five hour "rest" the red ETC idiot light came on as well as the amber colored engine light. I drove it four two blocks with the engine, engine fan and tranny all acting weird. I turned around went back home and shut it down. Upon the restart, only the amber engine light remained.

Can this be related to my transmission issues? I am beginning to wonder if I have a lemon - I only have 2,200 miles.

Obviously I will take it back to the dealership on Monday...this is starting to suck.

Eric
Unread 08-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #13
WKTrailRunner
2007 WK 

Eric
I have about 1600 miles on mine and no issues(knock wood). Hope you get it resolved.
Kevin
WKTrailRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2007, 05:40 AM   #14
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by heesman
More to the story...

Today I am driving my Jeep and I noticed that it was acting sort of weird - can't really explain it. Upon starting my Jeep after a five hour "rest" the red ETC idiot light came on as well as the amber colored engine light. I drove it four two blocks with the engine, engine fan and tranny all acting weird. I turned around went back home and shut it down. Upon the restart, only the amber engine light remained.

Can this be related to my transmission issues? I am beginning to wonder if I have a lemon - I only have 2,200 miles.

Obviously I will take it back to the dealership on Monday...this is starting to suck.

Eric
Hi
now you should have codes, do the 3 key bit let me know what they are.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 08-05-2007, 07:00 AM   #15
heesman

On edit...

I did figure it out finally...

DTC Report
P 2181

That is what was displayed.

Last edited by heesman; 08-05-2007 at 07:32 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.