5.7L Oil Pressure Light... Why Does This Keep Happening?! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-16-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
KSomes
2005 WK 

Garage
5.7L Oil Pressure Light... Why Does This Keep Happening?!

Hey all, I could really use some help.

EVRY year during winter, it seems my oil pressure sending unit fails. This first happened two years ago early 2014, when during the winter, my oil pressure light came on. I freaked out, pulled over, oil was at the right level, but I had no way to check the pressure so I got it towed home. I noticed when I drove it, the light would go on and off depending on the RPMs. That, according to some forums, meant the sending unit may be bad. Sure enough, I took mine out, changed it, presto. No more light.

That was a Crown Automotive unit I replaced it with. Not even a year later, it happened again, same symptoms, so I drove it carefully home, but this time I used a Mopar unit. I had better luck, lasted until I left the gym about 30 minutes ago. I was just at idle and the oil pressure warning lit up and I drove to a near parking lot. I'm letting the oil settle, I'll check it after about an hour, but once the Jeep's RPMs were above idle, the light went off. I can only assume it's the sending unit, but this raises the questions as to what else may be causing this?

Once I get back to my Jeep, I'll check for leaks, check my Diablo Trinity for codes, check the oil, and also cry myself to sleep.

Now I know people are going to say it's cold, i.e thicker oil, but this is crazy. Yes today was around 6 degrees Fahrenheit, but it breaks every year. I take care of the Hemi, I keep the RPMs as low as possible, maintain oil changes and use Amsoil's Signature Series synthetic 5w-20 and their filter, always let it warm up before I drive it, etc. I baby it, I need it to last through college but she loves making me bare cold tools every winter.

I know I didn't torque the sensor to spec when I did it, just tightened it. But what may be causing this? It seems like high pressures would, but causes are beyond me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2005 Jeep WK 5.7L

Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/teen-work-jeep-wk-build-1573427/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-17-2016, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
KSomes
2005 WK 

Garage
I went outside after a bit and checked the oil level, again I know this has nothing to do with pressure unless it is drastically low, but that's what I was checking for. I am due for an oil change very soon, within 500 miles to maintain a 5,000 interval as I do. The oil was spot on, maybe missing 1/4 of a quart, but that can be due to its age, blow by etc. The oil even looked great, but that's no help. Anyhow, I went on the salt covered, freezing ground and there were no signs of a leak whatsoever and the sending unit seemed just fine. Upon scanning my Jeep with the Trinity, the code P0523 was recorded with specific indication of it being the sending unit as expected (I just always check to ensure there's enough oil and no leaks when this happens, oil pressure isn't something to be messed around with).

I found my receipt in my files at home and I bought the OEM unit just last year as mentioned. I put in a claim under warranty in hopes it will be covered as it should be. But my question still remains, what is causing these to break? My only thoughts are too high of an oil pressure which in my opinion, would effect components other than just the pressure sending unit as well, or electrical issues with my wiring harness. I have no idea, I will inspect the unit when I replace it, but I figured I'd see if I could pick anyone's mind here for more thoughts in case this was the result of something more serious.

I forgot to mention, I drove home with no warning lights and no oil pressure warning at all. I drove for about 15 minutes home, stop and go, and highway, all while monitoring pressure via my tuner. It showed results of 5/5 when at idle and when moving, it sometimes dropped to 4.98/5. ONE time, it did go to 0.02/5 which I assume is a sign of a faulty pressure sending unit. But hey, thought I would throw that info in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20161216_230434.jpg   IMG_20161216_230144.jpg  

2005 Jeep WK 5.7L

post #3 of 7 Old 12-17-2016, 07:33 AM
Nejeep

Your tuner is getting its signal from the same oil pressure sender, so it is only confirming the low pressure display. You may need to install a mechanical pressure gauge in the sending unit location to see if the oil pressure is actually low or if your sending units are going bad. Obviously the pressure must not be low enough to cause engine damage, but you do need to know if there is something deteriorating (oil pump, sludged up pickup?). My guess is, you just got two bad sending units, but who knows.

06 Laredo - 4x4 V6 - Stone White - Custom LED Cargo Area Lights, Lighted Visors Added - now at 49k miles

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives

post #4 of 7 Old 12-17-2016, 10:21 AM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

put a t fitting in where the sender goes & hook up the sender and a mechanical gauge - that way you can verify if the oil pump is weak or if the sender is at fault. good luck
post #5 of 7 Old 12-17-2016, 11:19 AM
cobra259
2006 WK 

I replaced my OPS with a mopar unit about 18 months ago, she is still doing good. A OPS from Mopar will have a 1 year, 12,000 mile warranty on it.

2006 GC Limited 5.7 Hemi Stone White BT c/can Mopar cold air
1995 Cobra Mustang Procharged
post #6 of 7 Old 12-17-2016, 05:44 PM
90grandoneer
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

Are you sure you have the right pressure sensor unit? When I went to the stealer years ago for one for my 05 Hemi LX, they needed to know the VIN and said there were two different ones for that year. I had gotten a light one time, bought the sensor and have never seen the light again. If your Trinity is reading the pressure at 5 PSI, like said above, it's reading what's reported by the sensor. Both my Hemi's (using 5W-20 Mobil 1) will run around 20 PSI at idle when hot. My guess is, you either have a faulty sensor, the wrong sensor, or you truly have an oil pressure problem. Also, as said above, if you want to be absolutely sure what's going on, "T" in a direct reading gauge, and if you're still reading low, it's time to do some serious work before you lunch something. Keep us posted on your findings.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-18-2016, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
KSomes
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejeep View Post
Your tuner is getting its signal from the same oil pressure sender, so it is only confirming the low pressure display. You may need to install a mechanical pressure gauge in the sending unit location to see if the oil pressure is actually low or if your sending units are going bad. Obviously the pressure must not be low enough to cause engine damage, but you do need to know if there is something deteriorating (oil pump, sludged up pickup?). My guess is, you just got two bad sending units, but who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone1 View Post
put a t fitting in where the sender goes & hook up the sender and a mechanical gauge - that way you can verify if the oil pump is weak or if the sender is at fault. good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra259 View Post
I replaced my OPS with a mopar unit about 18 months ago, she is still doing good. A OPS from Mopar will have a 1 year, 12,000 mile warranty on it.
I thought this would be my solution as aftermarket parts usually tend to last half as long as OEM. I didn't go to the dealership though, I went online so maybe they falsely advertised the unit as OEM when it wasn't really. Who knows, fingers crossed it was a faulty unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Are you sure you have the right pressure sensor unit? When I went to the stealer years ago for one for my 05 Hemi LX, they needed to know the VIN and said there were two different ones for that year. I had gotten a light one time, bought the sensor and have never seen the light again. If your Trinity is reading the pressure at 5 PSI, like said above, it's reading what's reported by the sensor. Both my Hemi's (using 5W-20 Mobil 1) will run around 20 PSI at idle when hot. My guess is, you either have a faulty sensor, the wrong sensor, or you truly have an oil pressure problem. Also, as said above, if you want to be absolutely sure what's going on, "T" in a direct reading gauge, and if you're still reading low, it's time to do some serious work before you lunch something. Keep us posted on your findings.
This is an interesting point. I didn't go to the dealer as mentioned above, but rather did research online and only found one part number for the unit. I will shoot the dealer a call and see what they say, this would be cool if it were the issue and I appreciate the advice.

As for now, I really appreciate all of the input, I know it's somewhat intuitive as per what the solution may be, so being able to get help here is really useful. I will do what everyone is recommending and get a mechanical sensor to find the definite answer. For now, the WK is in the driveway and will stay until I can get a better result. I know the tuner is just reading the faulty pressures. I wonder if Autozone rents these kinda things, would be cool since I'll probably use it once or twice.

Anyhow, thanks again and I'll keep this updated for anyone in the future who may be looking for a solution to the same problem!

2005 Jeep WK 5.7L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.