5.7L Hemi - Coolant Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 5.7L Hemi - Coolant Leak

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
twingler
2005 WK 

5.7L Hemi - Coolant Leak

My 2005 Limited WK started leaking coolant in the past few days. Started as a small puddle under front bumper, driver side. I noticed it after parked for about 15min. Puddle about 4-6" round. But getting worse, today I parked, got out and see coolant steady dripping in the same area. I don't see any sign of coolant leaking from under the hood. nor do I see it leaking underneath around the water pump/engine. I'm thinking its the radiator leaking. No overheating.... oh and I live in Phoenix. So it's always hot. Can anyone else confirm my suspision of a radiator leak or should I check something else first - cap, overflow tank, etc ???

twingler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Get a pressure test done. Should be able to pinpoint where it is leaking from.
Unread 09-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
twingler
2005 WK 

pressure testing to 15psi revealed a leak at the thermostat housing gasket. Thinking I'lll go ahead and replace all coolant system parts, radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses and drive belt. I bought this Jeep used with 105k miles.... now has 130k and I want to keep her in top shape.
Unread 09-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced the thermostat today, same small leak. The thermostat I took out was wasted! It has a permanent rubber gasket around the perimeter that was torn and the guts of the thermostat were missing pieces of rubber.
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingler View Post
pressure testing to 15psi revealed a leak at the thermostat housing gasket. Thinking I'lll go ahead and replace all coolant system parts, radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses and drive belt. I bought this Jeep used with 105k miles.... now has 130k and I want to keep her in top shape.
If it aint broke, don't fix it

Living in Phoenix though I understand your reasoning. But i'd simply swap out the stat, and maybe have the coolant system serviced. I personally wouldn't go replacing all of that if the fix might be as minor as a $6 thermostat

Just my .02
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57 View Post
If it aint broke, don't fix it

Living in Phoenix though I understand your reasoning. But i'd simply swap out the stat, and maybe have the coolant system serviced. I personally wouldn't go replacing all of that if the fix might be as minor as a $6 thermostat

Just my .02
Agreed! Just get the thermostat and in the process you'll have to replace all the coolant anyway. I definitely wouldn't replace the radiator unless you just have $$ to burn! Good luck!
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
twingler
2005 WK 

Thanks for the feedback and opinions guys. I'll go with the Tstat / gasket first and new coolant.
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Make sure they use HOAT coolant . As far as i know MOPAR or Zerex G-05 are your only options .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingler View Post
... I'll go with ...new coolant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
Make sure they use HOAT coolant . As far as i know MOPAR or Zerex G-05 are your only options .
The MOPAR HOAT is not diluted, so prepare a 50/50 mix when replacing it. FWIW, mine was on sale at $18/gallon at the Jeep dealer. Regular price was $25/gallon.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I purchased MOPAR 50/50 hoat coolant at the dealer for less then $12 a gallon. It was cheaper then the Zerex at the parts store.
Unread 10-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
twingler
2005 WK 

Burnerman - Thanks for the dealer tip....however My local dealer was $47/gallon for pre-mix. Parts store is $18/gallon pure for G-O5.
Another general question - Anyone used a Pre-flush cleaner product? Suggestions / comments??
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

$27!!!!! Holy spit!!!!
Unread 11-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #13
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Well, my jeep just puked up all its coolant. I am unsure where it's coming from. The entire front of the engine and fan-shroud of the radiator is covered. It looks like a pressure test is in order. This is gonna cost
Water pump was just done 20K miles ago at 62K miles. *sigh* Chrysler...oh, Chrysler...never again.

ETA: To get across town to the dealer, I am planning on filling it with distilled water. I know this is not a long-term solution, as it needs fixing or it will all just leak out again, but I am correct in presuming this is better than tap water with all the chlorine and fluoride and other crap in it?
Unread 11-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
Quinny
2006 WK 

I'd just stick tap water in..... It'll chuck a load out on the trip to the dealer, and he'll have to replace the coolant anyway when he finds the problem..
Quinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #15
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd tow it

Tags
Coolant leak , hemi , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.