JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   5.7L Hemi - Coolant Leak (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/5-7l-hemi-coolant-leak-1627473/)

twingler 09-26-2013 11:57 PM

5.7L Hemi - Coolant Leak
 
My 2005 Limited WK started leaking coolant in the past few days. Started as a small puddle under front bumper, driver side. I noticed it after parked for about 15min. Puddle about 4-6" round. But getting worse, today I parked, got out and see coolant steady dripping in the same area. I don't see any sign of coolant leaking from under the hood. nor do I see it leaking underneath around the water pump/engine. I'm thinking its the radiator leaking. No overheating.... oh and I live in Phoenix. So it's always hot. Can anyone else confirm my suspision of a radiator leak or should I check something else first - cap, overflow tank, etc ???

Jeepforthewin 09-27-2013 06:59 AM

Get a pressure test done. Should be able to pinpoint where it is leaking from.

twingler 09-28-2013 10:44 AM

pressure testing to 15psi revealed a leak at the thermostat housing gasket. Thinking I'lll go ahead and replace all coolant system parts, radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses and drive belt. I bought this Jeep used with 105k miles.... now has 130k and I want to keep her in top shape.

Burnerman 09-29-2013 02:31 PM

I just replaced the thermostat today, same small leak. The thermostat I took out was wasted! It has a permanent rubber gasket around the perimeter that was torn and the guts of the thermostat were missing pieces of rubber.

Shafer57 09-30-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twingler (Post 16386857)
pressure testing to 15psi revealed a leak at the thermostat housing gasket. Thinking I'lll go ahead and replace all coolant system parts, radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses and drive belt. I bought this Jeep used with 105k miles.... now has 130k and I want to keep her in top shape.

If it aint broke, don't fix it

Living in Phoenix though I understand your reasoning. But i'd simply swap out the stat, and maybe have the coolant system serviced. I personally wouldn't go replacing all of that if the fix might be as minor as a $6 thermostat:thumbsup:

Just my .02

XK1982 10-01-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shafer57 (Post 16435065)
If it aint broke, don't fix it

Living in Phoenix though I understand your reasoning. But i'd simply swap out the stat, and maybe have the coolant system serviced. I personally wouldn't go replacing all of that if the fix might be as minor as a $6 thermostat:thumbsup:

Just my .02

Agreed! Just get the thermostat and in the process you'll have to replace all the coolant anyway. I definitely wouldn't replace the radiator unless you just have $$ to burn! Good luck!

twingler 10-02-2013 01:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback and opinions guys. I'll go with the Tstat / gasket first and new coolant.

yzjwk 10-02-2013 01:53 PM

Make sure they use HOAT coolant . As far as i know MOPAR or Zerex G-05 are your only options .

Walt 10-02-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twingler (Post 16498841)
... I'll go with ...new coolant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yzjwk (Post 16499945)
Make sure they use HOAT coolant . As far as i know MOPAR or Zerex G-05 are your only options .

The MOPAR HOAT is not diluted, so prepare a 50/50 mix when replacing it. FWIW, mine was on sale at $18/gallon at the Jeep dealer. Regular price was $25/gallon. :thumbsup:

Burnerman 10-03-2013 07:20 AM

I purchased MOPAR 50/50 hoat coolant at the dealer for less then $12 a gallon. It was cheaper then the Zerex at the parts store.

twingler 10-04-2013 11:35 AM

Burnerman - Thanks for the dealer tip....however My local dealer was $47/gallon for pre-mix. Parts store is $18/gallon pure for G-O5.
Another general question - Anyone used a Pre-flush cleaner product? Suggestions / comments??

Burnerman 10-04-2013 12:11 PM

$27!!!!! Holy spit!!!!


The time now is 09:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.