5.7 WK Exhaust Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 5.7 WK Exhaust Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Grand Cherokee Tie Rods & Adjusting SleevesJeep Grand Cherokee Grills

Unread 01-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
hearld5000
2006 WK 

5.7 WK Exhaust Question

I've done quite a bit of research trying to figure out what exhaust I'd like to go with...I know this has been hashed out on this forum but I can't find anything conclusive.

I'm not interested in doing a full cat-back, there is no real gain to be had so I'm looking to just replace the muffler and leave the factory piping/resonator.

I'm leaning toward Magnaflow but not sure which one. A local shop is recommending that I go with a 14" Magnaflow but I'm concerned it will be overbearing on road-trips...
Really do like the sound of this though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svfI1KVa-i0

I'm leaning towards a 18" or 20". Any thoughts or recommendations?

hearld5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Kolak
Vendor

I think you'd like the 5x11x22 Magnaflow on the HEMI. It's got a nice deep, mellow tone. PM me if you'd like a price - I sell lots of these for the HEMI V8.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
Jared26
2005 WK 

I've got the 12229 on mine and love it, I'll see if I can get a sound clip tomorrow.
Unread 01-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
hearld5000
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared26 View Post
I've got the 12229 on mine and love it, I'll see if I can get a sound clip tomorrow.
Do you have much for drone at highway speeds? There is a local shop that will put one of those in for $175.

A video would be great if you get the time.
Unread 01-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
murderedoutGC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearld5000 View Post
Do you have much for drone at highway speeds? There is a local shop that will put one of those in for $175.

I bought the model from Kolak that he suggested in this thread and don't have highway drone....My only complaint is that it seems a little loud up exceleration as I do a lot of that working downtown. But I honestly think it would be that way no matter what exhaust you go with. I just want my cake and eat it too.
Black Wk Club MEMBER #144
murderedoutGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
Teezony
2005 WK 

I just did this ,I put the magnaflow 12586 and magnaflow tip 35204 ,im the happiest guy ever ,no drone it sounds amazing ,,at idle sounds kinda stock and if u step on it u hear that great deep sound ,and my biggest worry was drone on the highway and this muffler is perfect NO DRONE quiet ,,I also removed the stock resonator ,, I simply cut out the old muffler and welded this in its place and cut out the stock resonator and welded the tip ,total cost 200 bux , I can make a vid later if you want showing how the tip looks and how it sounds , let me know
Teezony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
hearld5000
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezony View Post
I just did this ,I put the magnaflow 12586 and magnaflow tip 35204 ,im the happiest guy ever ,no drone it sounds amazing ,,at idle sounds kinda stock and if u step on it u hear that great deep sound ,and my biggest worry was drone on the highway and this muffler is perfect NO DRONE quiet ,,I also removed the stock resonator ,, I simply cut out the old muffler and welded this in its place and cut out the stock resonator and welded the tip ,total cost 200 bux , I can make a vid later if you want showing how the tip looks and how it sounds , let me know
Interesting...Do you have MDS turned off? Any idea how much of a difference the resonator makes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderedoutGC View Post
I bought the model from Kolak that he suggested in this thread and don't have highway drone....My only complaint is that it seems a little loud up exceleration as I do a lot of that working downtown. But I honestly think it would be that way no matter what exhaust you go with. I just want my cake and eat it too.
When you say a little loud, like turning heads under normal conditions (not WOT)?
Unread 01-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #8
Teezony
2005 WK 

mds is still on ,I hate the sound of mds but with this muffler its almost un noticeable but keep in mind that its -30 here and I drive with the windows up and I just did this install in December ,but I think mds sounds stock ,as for the stock resonator ,mines was completely rusted from inside out so I actually quieted down by removing it ,honestly it sound great.
Teezony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
murderedoutGC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Interesting...Do you have MDS turned off? Any idea how much of a difference the resonator makes?

When you say a little loud, like turning heads under normal conditions (not WOT)?
its from the inside....I need to get someone to drive it for me so I can hear it from the outside. like I said tho, I don't think its anything any other exhaust isn't going to give you. I honestly don't think its as loud if you go ahead and get on it .
Black Wk Club MEMBER #144
murderedoutGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
Jared26
2005 WK 

Quote:

It did a bit, I wouldn't say excessively but after I turned MDS off it completely went away, in fact cruising under light load now it almost sounds stock but when the engine starts working you definitely hear it. I'm pretty exhausted from work but I'll see if I can get out and take a video for you, I will only be able to take an in car one as I don't have anyone I can take with me to do a drive by vid.
Unread 01-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #11
omega48er

I have the Gibson and it's a 3" and I get annoyed on Kong drives with the mds on. Turned it off and it sounds much better plus I started to add sound deader to the inside.

I hear that the MagnaFlow 2.5 cat back sounds good with no drone. My Gibson sounds mean though. Puts a smile on my face
omega48er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #12
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Honestly, I dislike exhaust on a vehicle like this. Factory has plenty of tone when you get on it, and even though the JEEP runs at a "low" RPM on the freeway, it will wear on you. Even a 2-3dB increase is going to hurt over the course of a 10 hour road trip. It will cause you to elevate the radio volume by 2-3 dB to compensate, and now you are being assaulted by 4-6dB more. Over the course of 10 hours, I have found this to matter significantly in how beaten up I feel after driving.
Unread 01-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #13
caulk04
2008 WK 

I'll go along with that to some extent.

Weird or not, my biggest single reason for doing exhaust was the 'hoover sucker' noise that you'd get from the stock exhaust. Especially noticed while towing where you can run higher RPM for much longer than a passing maneuver or hooning, all I'd hear out back was a bunch of air being choked in the exhaust.

At highway speeds, I don't seem to notice any obnoxious drone with my Gibson. It's from 1500-1800 under load that I get anything annoying and it's rather rare to get any load at that RPM.
Unread 01-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #14
Aclow33
2006 WK 

Quote:
I've done quite a bit of research trying to figure out what exhaust I'd like to go with...I know this has been hashed out on this forum but I can't find anything conclusive.

I'm not interested in doing a full cat-back, there is no real gain to be had so I'm looking to just replace the muffler and leave the factory piping/resonator.

I'm leaning toward Magnaflow but not sure which one. A local shop is recommending that I go with a 14" Magnaflow but I'm concerned it will be overbearing on road-trips...
Really do like the sound of this though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svfI1KVa-i0

I'm leaning towards a 18" or 20". Any thoughts or recommendations?
That video you have is of my Jeep

The one I went with is the one Kolak is selling. I bought mine from him. Get it!!
Unread 01-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #15
Aclow33
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared26 View Post
I would love to hear what your 14" inch Magnaflow sounds like. Im thinking about going with dual SLP's.. I want it to be louder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.