5.7 vs 6.1 coils - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 5.7 vs 6.1 coils

Ruffstuff 10 year saleBDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

5.7 vs 6.1 coils

I am looking at some coil pack covers, such as the link attached, for my 5.7L. I can only find 6.1 covers, but the coil pack setup looks identical.. Does anyone know if the coil pack setup for the 6.1 is the same as the 5.7? This particular manufacturer states compatibility with 5.7, 6.1, 6.4L engines. Despite the difference in displacement, am i correct in assuming that the coil packs are the same and so the cover will be compatible? Did the coil pack setup change any between 2005-2010? Thanks!

http://3rdstrikeperformance.com/inde...ducts_id=10766

JakeWK Build
JakeWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
JRLT
2010 WK 

The 5.7L and 6.1L have the same part numbers for ignition coils.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

The 05 coil packs are different from the 06 and up coil packs. Yours has the coil over one plug, with a wire crossing over to a cylinder on the other side (Wasted Spark System), and the 06's and up have the coil over both plugs with no spark plug wires. The valve covers are different and the electrical plugs and pinouts are also different between the 05's and the 06's>. The bolt patterns of the actual valve covers of all the Hemi's is the same though, so the coil pack covers may work, especially if you use Taylor Shorty wires, and the coil covers bolt to the valve cover bolts. They probably won't work if they bolt to the coil mount bolts though since those bolt patterns between the two are different.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
The 05 coil packs are different from the 06 and up coil packs. Yours has the coil over one plug, with a wire crossing over to a cylinder on the other side (Wasted Spark System), and the 06's and up have the coil over both plugs with no spark plug wires. The valve covers are different and the electrical plugs and pinouts are also different between the 05's and the 06's>. The bolt patterns of the actual valve covers of all the Hemi's is the same though, so the coil pack covers may work, especially if you use Taylor Shorty wires, and the coil covers bolt to the valve cover bolts. They probably won't work if they bolt to the coil mount bolts though since those bolt patterns between the two are different.
Thanks 90! i knew you'd respond to this, since you did the coil swap. Yeah i have the Shorty wire install, to get rid of the Wasted Spark. The fact that the manifold covers are the same is very helpful, as i imagine that's what the coil covers would mount on to. Thank you for your help! Now to just find a good cover set that isn't the $300 BT set. Haha

JakeWK Build
Unread 12-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLT View Post
The 5.7L and 6.1L have the same part numbers for ignition coils.
Thanks for the help man. I am looking into doing the 6.1 coil swap very soon anyway, and figured a pretty cover would really help the aesthetics. Also, when i was cleaning the dust off the valve cover and coil packs today, i thought a cover might help avoid that. Thanks!

JakeWK Build
Unread 12-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

My Post No. 9 of the attached thread shows my 05 Hemi LX with the Taylor Shorty's on it and then the late model setup. The complete changeover (valve covers, new late model electrical plugs and coils) will cost you around $500-600, depending on what kind of deal you can get. I bought the SOS high output coils and have them on my WK also. I used the 06 5.7 Hemi WK composite valve covers too.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/f...wires-3531634/
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.