5.7 engine knocking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 5.7 engine knocking

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 11-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
ddemoss1
2006 WK 

5.7 engine knocking

anyone experience a pretty hefty engine knocking in the cold weather with the 5.7 hemi? Ive noticed it a few time since its started to get cold in the mornings here. It threw the check engine light last time it did it so took it to a place with a code reader and nothing came up. suggestions?

ddemoss1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
mak90
2010 WK 

Bad gas maybe? I haven't had any problems but I have heard that they knock sometimes. Try filling up at a different gas station and see if the problem continues.
mak90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
ddemoss1
2006 WK 

It only happens when i first start it up in the mornings to warm up and by the time im back out to my car (no more than 5 minutes later) it has stopped. it almost sounds like it could be misfiring
Unread 11-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
Ryan101505

Could be lifters?
Ryan101505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
ddemoss1
2006 WK 

well the code that tripped the check engine light was a misfire on cylinder 1, so i replaced all 16 plugs with hopes that they were the root of the knocking. to my dismay the knocking still happened this morning. I think if it were the lifters it would be more of a constant tick rather than an irregular knocking that occurs for only a few minutes while its warming up.
Unread 11-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
06JeepXKHEMI
1999 XJ Cherokee 

May seem like a dumb question but you checked the oil right?!?
Unread 11-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
ddemoss1
2006 WK 

06JeepXKHEMI not a dumb question. yes, oil was the first thing i checked. it was within the operating range but i added a bit just to make sure it had plenty.
Unread 11-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

kinda sounds like a collapsing lifter..
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I see you checked the oil, but is it the correct weight....5W-20? Have you cleared the DTC? Has it returned? Do you regularly change your oil, or do you let it slide way past the change intervals?

The No. 1 cylinder is an MDS cylinder, and there have been reports of the MDS lifter actuating pin(s) failing and causing an engage/disengage problem. This usually causes an initial intermittant problem that progresses into a continuous problem. There have been some writeups, with pictures, on at least one of these forums. If you can't come up with anything conclusive, you may want to do a search and see if you can come up with one of them. IIRC, one that had the problem was going ~10,000K between oil changes. Did that cause it???? Who knows? Guess it could keep the pin(s) from moving as freely as the should, especially if running dino. oil that long.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
5.7 liter , cold start , grand cherokee , knocking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.