Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
6K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Jeepthing08 
#1 ·
Has anyone with an 2008+ front bumper installed a 4xguard front skid plate without removing the lower fascia? I want the skid plate but i dont like how it looks with the lower bumper removed because of the holes and unevenness of the lines. I was wondering if i make longer mounting brackets that would work. Thanks

#3 ·
Hey thanks! Before i go and order the skid i wanted to be sure its possible to install it without removing the air dam. Even it i need to modify things slightly or make custom brackets. Any chance you can post a pic? I'd love to see what it looks like. All the 4xguards skids on 08+ models i saw have the lower bumper removed.

#5 ·
You have to remove the air dam to actually install the front guard. You can then reinstall the air dam over the guard. I did not have to mod the front guard or the air dam. You will not be able to use the center 3 fasteners for the dam. It is quite solidly attached though, I have had mine like that for half a year with lots of highway driving. The air dam will just deflect up a bit over the guard during install. I will try to find my pics of it.

#6 ·
Sounds great. Now that i know its possible im just trying to get an idea of what it would look like since all the pics have it removed. If you can post 1 that would be awesome.

#7 ·
BAH, i just noticed you said you removed the air dam then reinstalled it over top of the skid plate? So the skid doesnt protect the air dam at all? Sounds different than what Scootr29 did. I'd be curious to see how you both have yours installed

#9 ·
Nice jeep. I like all the 4xguard armor. But what i meant was installing the skid plate without removing the lower fascia. That lower black part of the bumper. It looks like yours is removed or did you install the front skid then put the lower bumper back over top of it? I want the skid to be visible while keeping the lower air dam on

#10 ·
I just got my Jeep back from the body shop. My daystar 2'' lift just came in. After i lift it, im changing the tires then planned on the 4xguard skids

#12 ·
Ok now I get what you are saying. Id want the skid to show but not sure about how the front looks without the air dam. Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

#13 ·
I removed my airdam on my 07. Decided to leave it off.
I think that the owner's manual recommends removing the dam before going off road.
I have not measured but I think that to do so grants you a little clearance.

#14 ·
It looks really good with it off, and gives you more clearance and approach angle with it removed. I reinstalled it as I do a lot of highway driving and I find it does improve mileage.

#18 ·
I like how the 05-07s look with the brush guard removed but honestly im not sure about the 08+ without the air dam. I guess its because of the slits around the fog light makes it look like something is missing. Im tempted to try and cut out the middle section of the air dam so the molded parts around the fog lights can stay in place and allow for the the instal of the skid

#19 ·
the slits are only noticeable if you get right down there in front of the thing & look for them knowing they're there. otherwise, not so much.

& chirpz, it was either that or stash it in my landlord's garage. after i got it off, i realized i didn't really have an option "c". :dunno: the only way i'll ever be getting rid of my WK is if it gets totaled, so it doesn't really matter, you know?

#20 ·
Well right now my Jeep is stock. I have my 2'' lift sitting in my garage and hopefully can get around to installing it this week or weekend. Maybe once its lifted i will like the more aggressive look with the air dam removed.

#22 ·
dferr17 said:
Well right now my Jeep is stock. I have my 2'' lift sitting in my garage and hopefully can get around to installing it this week or weekend. Maybe once its lifted i will like the more aggressive look with the air dam removed.
I did not like how my WK looked without the air dam on it.......UNTIL I lifted it. Once the OME was installed, it looked way better without it. A much more aggressive look, I like it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.