4x4 or not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 4x4 or not?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
lookn4aJP

4x4 or not?

as the proud owner of an 06 commander, where is the 4x4 switch on this thing? it says 4x4 on the liftgate,but i cant see any switch other than the little button under the radio that is the ESP button! is this what controls the 4x4?....thanks

lookn4aJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
T-Rated

If it's 4x4, then it's full time and can't be switched off. Check out this site for loads of great info:
http://www.xkjeeps.com

p.s. ESP is part of the traction control system. Hitting this button (or holding it for more than 5 seconds) disables various aspects of the system.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Bells Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #3
gornoman
2006 WK 

Sounds like your Commander is a 3.7 with Quadra Trac I, no transfer case for Low range. Fair enough trail runner, but not a "wheeler".
Blue WK Club Member #15
My other passion - WWW.buggiesgonewild.com
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
T-Rated

I wouldn't say it's not a "wheeler." I take my WK out a bunch and the only time I use Low is for rock crawling. Well, I do have QuadraDrive II, which helps a lot, but a decent 4x system such as QuadraTrac I can still get you around pretty well.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Bells Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
lookn4aJP

thanks all for info!!

so my 4x4 system just activates by itself when it senses wheel slippage or something?
Unread 08-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
goose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookn4aJP
so my 4x4 system just activates by itself when it senses wheel slippage or something?
Not really. Your 4x4 system is a constant 48/52 front/rear split. If slippage is detected the center diff (and computer) can divert up to 100% of the total power to either the front or rear axle. In conjunction with this is the Brake Traction Control System (BTCS) that is working in tandem with your ABS to brake a wheel that looses traction and divert power across the front or rear axle differential to the wheel with "more" traction.

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
merlinTec

No yours is constant 4v4 same as all of them
Unread 08-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
lookn4aJP

great info!

not many of these around here,so i get lots of looks.anyways thanks much
Unread 08-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
gornoman
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rated
I wouldn't say it's not a "wheeler." I take my WK out a bunch and the only time I use Low is for rock crawling.
I always thought that rock crawling (using Low Range Gearing) is where "trail-riding" stopped and "wheeling" began. But then again, I'm just an old flatlander. LOL!!!

lookn4aJP, that Commander will surprise you with it's capabilities. Have fun!
Blue WK Club Member #15
My other passion - WWW.buggiesgonewild.com
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.