4x4 and 22in wheels? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 4x4 and 22in wheels?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
Thanks I fixed the numbers

255/55/17 will not fit in stock spare location,
that would suck to have to keep it in the rear....
You might need a worn one and air it down...I think Omelet did it, maybe ask him.

Unread 02-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
You might need a worn one and air it down...I think Omelet did it, maybe ask him.
Actually I think I would need to wear down the four on the jeep & keep the spare new!

I wonder if there are any warnings to not air down only the rear tires or only the front tires? the diameter of the air down tires is different?

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Actually I think I would need to wear down the four on the jeep & keep the spare new!

I wonder if there are any warnings to not air down only the rear tires or only the front tires? the diameter of the air down tires is different?
I don't think it's as big of a deal off road with airing down because you're generally on looser terrain. I was referring to airing down the spare tire to make it fit, however.
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
LordEnki
2006 WK 

Thats a half inch... I wouldn't put it on as spare.
245/65R17 BFG Rugged Trail T/A
LordEnki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
rollindom

2005 WK 

I had a tire go bad on my old ride, a 2005 Escalade. It like our WK was full time 4 wheel drive. The tire place I bought my tires from told me I had to replace all 4 tires or sign a waiver not holding them responsible for damage to the drivetrain if I only replaced 1 tire (I took a nail to the sidewall). This was even though all tires were the exact same size but the existing tires were down to like 50-60 percent tread. They told me overall diameter must be exact of damage can and will occur.
rollindom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #21
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510

It fits after doing the rear hitch mod and it being aired down.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
DetroitMuscle
2008 WK 

Well here they are on the WK. Ride is notably improved. Handling is great... man do they grip.
I had originally thought about going Nitto Grapplers on some 17s but when I came across this deal($1000) with BRAND NEW nittos and the wheels (brand new) I had to jump on it.

I love it. I think only other things I will do is a CAI and eventually an exhaust.

A buddy suggested a bolt-on turbo... ?
tire_resize.jpg   20130227_180128.jpg  
New owner of (used) 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo WK.
DetroitMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #23
JRLT
2010 WK 

I'd get a Hypertech tuner before the CAI. Didn't know about an available turbo.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #24
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

To the OP, the SRT tires are the same diameter, the difference is that the rear tires are wider than the front. But the diameter is the same.

Quote:

I have a 255/75R17 in the stock location, so it will fit. Also from what I have come to understand from the Jeep engineers, the QD2 system is able to compensate for a tire size difference at low speeds. That is why I have been able to get away with using a 32" tire for a spare while running 33" tires. Russ does the same thing. He is the one who I got my info from. He had a 265/70R17 spare while running 295/70R17 tires. Basically what I was told is that if need be you can swap the spare on and limp to the nearest service station and the QD2 system will compensate, just don't try to fly around doing freeway speeds. I have never tested this though. I do carry a quality tire repair kit with me so I have it before I have to swap the spare in.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #25
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

DetroitMuscle
That looks great!
but probably wouldn't take it off road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
I have a 255/75R17 in the stock location, so it will fit. Also from what I have come to understand from the Jeep engineers, the QD2 system is able to compensate for a tire size difference at low speeds. That is why I have been able to get away with using a 32" tire for a spare while running 33" tires. Russ does the same thing. He is the one who I got my info from. He had a 265/70R17 spare while running 295/70R17 tires. Basically what I was told is that if need be you can swap the spare on and limp to the nearest service station and the QD2 system will compensate, just don't try to fly around doing freeway speeds. I have never tested this though. I do carry a quality tire repair kit with me so I have it before I have to swap the spare in.
I thought I remembered reading that somewhere just could not find it.
Thanks

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #26
DetroitMuscle
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLT View Post
I'd get a Hypertech tuner before the CAI. Didn't know about an available turbo.

Thanks for the tip. DEF going to look into it.

Changed out the antenna for a black/nubby rubber thing. Will post new pics.
New owner of (used) 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo WK.
DetroitMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #27
JRLT
2010 WK 

Look into a modified throttle body too. http://www.thefastman.com/
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.