JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   4.7L Spark plug change - Help please (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/4-7l-spark-plug-change-help-please-1634337/)

cobosoxfan 09-29-2013 01:11 PM

4.7L Spark plug change - Help please

Ok, I'm pretty handy in the engine compartment, but WTF were the Jeep engineers thinking with the configuration of engine and trans dipsticks over back passenger spark plug coil pack???

I looked up under there to see if there was any way to get to the bolt holding the trans tube, but it is in an unreachable spot at the top back of the engine. I'm ready to bend the tube out of the way with brute force but was wondering if there was a better way to get that plug out? I would hate to break it.

Thanks

JeepN4KC 09-29-2013 03:18 PM

What year 4.7?

I know for a fact that the 06 and 07 can be done fairly easy. The rear most 2 are the most difficult but can be done with a plug socket, extension, and ratchet. No elbow needed.

cobosoxfan 09-29-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepN4KC (Post 16413161)
What year 4.7?

I know for a fact that the 06 and 07 can be done fairly easy. The rear most 2 are the most difficult but can be done with a plug socket, extension, and ratchet. No elbow needed.

Thanks Mike, I ended up having to bend the trans dip stick out of the way. It was directly above the coil pack. The plug was cakework from there. I will say that I don't think it had been done before - ever! There was virtually no core left. After the plugs were done, I spent some time cleaning the Throttle Body, and Mass Air Sensor.

I then unplugged the neg battery cable, did the brake press procedure, and reconnected.

Lets just say this little service work made a huge impact. Quick pedal response, and the engine is running soooo dang smooth. Its awesome.

Thanks, Mike and the rest of the forum for the overall amount of info we as members can find!

JeepN4KC 09-29-2013 04:07 PM

Glad you were able to get 'em.

If they'd never been done I'm sure you noticed a big difference.

bmuhlbach 09-29-2013 07:56 PM

There suppose to by done every 36,000 miles I just changed my 05's and the 2 back ones on pass. side are the hardest.

Goldenknob 09-30-2013 09:31 AM

what is the brake press procedure your talking about?

cobosoxfan 09-30-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenknob (Post 16432401)
what is the brake press procedure your talking about?

Disco the neg battery cable open all doors, and depress the brake pedal for 30 seconds, a couple of times; as this is supposed to drain all residual electrical system power, so that the flash memory can relearn the new changes.

To be honest, Im not sure it actually works, as new electronics hold a small charge in them for quite a while. For instance after 5 minutes, I reconnected the battery and the radio still had all of the channels preset.

The flash memory in the CPU may be different??? I've heard it on so many diff truck forums I've been on, I just do it now. Urban legend? Internet Myth? Don't really know. :laugh:

JRLT 09-30-2013 10:55 AM

Read somewhere else to just ground the positive cable(not the battery) against something metal. I just used a short cable and used the bolt the battery is grounded to on the frame.

The time now is 08:48 PM.