4.7 Towing Like a Bauce - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 4.7 Towing Like a Bauce

The Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Reply
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
10Xk
Registered User
2010 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: , USA
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jeepman
I tell every body id rather pull with my wk than my dads 2500 hd chevy 6.0 except for the
the????

10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #17
94jeepman
Jager93
 
94jeepman's Avatar
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: rapid city, south dakota
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
the????
i was half asleep when i typed this i dont know what i was going to say
__________________
KHAKI MEMBER #59


The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 5,574
Posted up in my build yesterday but remembered this thread and thought it was perfect.

Towed a good trip pulling my XJ yesterday.

Specs and relavent performance additions:
'07 first generation 4.7 V8
K&N drop-in air filter
Superchips tow tune
Tow group IV package w/ tow/haul engaged
Modified OME (3.5")
265/70/17s

Gross trailer weight estimated at around 5,600lbs
Tongue weight of about 580lbs

Used an 8" drop ball mount and no weight distribution hitch.

Tandem axle brakes with breakaway and a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller set at "b2" on the boost while on the highway.

This set-up was very stable, smooth, and problem free.

Averaged 70 on the speedo; put 180 on the odo; got 12.4 mpg's.

As the thread title says - 4.7 towing like a bauce!
__________________
~Mike~

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
xjtrailrider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Roanoke VA
Posts: 124
I know this is a "towing with a 4.7" thread but it is also a thread about towing. I will say that my Hemi XK tows better than any half ton I have owned and in way more comfort!

I tow a pig of a XJ on a 19' trailer, about 7,000lbs total and I get 11.5mpg here in the mountains of VA and on my last trip to URE I got around 12(flat land) once I got out of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I use a Valley equalizing/stabilizing hitch, Prodigy controller and brakes on both axles.

xjtrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #20
sebastien
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: plantation, fl
Posts: 249
Towing my buddy back from wheeling after he busted some stuff up..

4.7
towpic.jpg

__________________
http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org/
sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #21
porrsher
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jefferson,GA, Georgia
Posts: 638
Hey guys I have a question to those with the tow-haul mode. When engaged, will the tranny go into overdrive? I have an 02 overland with the high output 4.7 which is paired to the same 545Rfe tranny you guys have on the WK.

So I'm wondering what exactly that button does in the real world situations. I'm towing a 21 foot travel trailer but my only choices are overdrive on or off. My setup will hold overdrive at highway speed without constant shifting and will lock-up the converter.

I'm wondering if the same equipped tranny WK does.
__________________
1994 Hunter Green ZJ 5.2L Quadratrac
228k Miles, 2" BB.
2002 Slate Grey Grand Cherokee Overland
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #22
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 5,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by porrsher View Post
Hey guys I have a question to those with the tow-haul mode. When engaged, will the tranny go into overdrive? I have an 02 overland with the high output 4.7 which is paired to the same 545Rfe tranny you guys have on the WK.

So I'm wondering what exactly that button does in the real world situations. I'm towing a 21 foot travel trailer but my only choices are overdrive on or off. My setup will hold overdrive at highway speed without constant shifting and will lock-up the converter.

I'm wondering if the same equipped tranny WK does.
The WK with tow group IV package; tow/haul mode engaged holds gears longer, reduces shifting, and locks the vehicle out of overdrive - all aimed at keeping the transmission as cool as possible under the added load.

The length of your load isn't as relevant as the GTWR and the tongue weight.

I'd say if your set-up is not searching for gears and can hold overdrive you should be fine running the way you currently are.
__________________
~Mike~

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #23
yzjwk
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lac du Bonnet, manitoba, Can
Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by porrsher View Post
Hey guys I have a question to those with the tow-haul mode. When engaged, will the tranny go into overdrive? I have an 02 overland with the high output 4.7 which is paired to the same 545Rfe tranny you guys have on the WK.

So I'm wondering what exactly that button does in the real world situations. I'm towing a 21 foot travel trailer but my only choices are overdrive on or off. My setup will hold overdrive at highway speed without constant shifting and will lock-up the converter.

I'm wondering if the same equipped tranny WK does.
My understanding with the 02 WJ 545rfe was that the OD off only disabled the 3-4 upshift which means you loose 4th AND 5th gears and your are left with only 3rd gear . Some have said that depending on which flash you have on your TCM , the first push of OD off would be a tow haul mode that allowed a different shift pattern as stated and would also allow 4th gear . ( This is how the 05 Wk is set up) . The 2nd push of the button would then lock out 4th and 5th gears . Personally on my zj , wj and wk i will only use the OD off or tow/haul if i am in the city and don't need OD or if i find the trans is shifting /hunting because of hills or strong head wind . otherwise it's in D as usual .
__________________
Proud owner : 05 WK Ltd 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2 Cam'd & Decked
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #24
porrsher
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jefferson,GA, Georgia
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk
My understanding with the 02 WJ 545rfe was that the OD off only disabled the 3-4 upshift which means you loose 4th AND 5th gears and your are left with only 3rd gear . Some have said that depending on which flash you have on your TCM , the first push of OD off would be a tow haul mode that allowed a different shift pattern as stated and would also allow 4th gear . ( This is how the 05 Wk is set up) . The 2nd push of the button would then lock out 4th and 5th gears . Personally on my zj , wj and wk i will only use the OD off or tow/haul if i am in the city and don't need OD or if i find the trans is shifting /hunting because of hills or strong head wind . otherwise it's in D as usual .
This is precisely what I was wondering. A flash to act like the wk 545rfe. Mine was flashed in '03 to allow the second overdrive. So OD button disengages the 3rd and 4 the shift as you correctly stated. So is there a flash that I would be able to have the tcm act like the WK tow mode. Anyone out there have done this flash to allow the 4th shift and second push would completely disengage OD ?

Man ...I didn't mean to hijack the post.
__________________
1994 Hunter Green ZJ 5.2L Quadratrac
228k Miles, 2" BB.
2002 Slate Grey Grand Cherokee Overland
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #25
yzjwk
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lac du Bonnet, manitoba, Can
Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by porrsher View Post
This is precisely what I was wondering. A flash to act like the wk 545rfe. Mine was flashed in '03 to allow the second overdrive. So OD button disengages the 3rd and 4 the shift as you correctly stated. So is there a flash that I would be able to have the tcm act like the WK tow mode. Anyone out there have done this flash to allow the 4th shift and second push would completely disengage OD ?

Man ...I didn't mean to hijack the post.
even the early 05 wk's are already like this and the TCM exists inside the PCM unlike the wj. the programing is different ( i can't even get my 05 TCM flashed to mimic and 06+) so you may have to see if something exists in the wj section . i've only heard a couple other people state that such a flash exists so please don't take that as gospel .
good luck
__________________
Proud owner : 05 WK Ltd 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2 Cam'd & Decked
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #26
bigdo26
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vernon, CT
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkldr View Post
Nice to see some people towing - they are actually quite capable. I tow a 4400 lb set up fairly frequently (track car). I have the Group IV tow package on my 5.7. Funny thing is mileage only drops from about 15 mpg to 13 mph - and that is towing at the speed limit. The 4.7's have no shortage of power (my son's WJ with the 4.7 "normal" pulls like crazy). I'll have to look into the timbren setup. I'm looking at moving to an enclosed trailer later this year which will ad another 2k lbs.
This makes me happy - I just got a trailer to tow my car to the track ~5-7 times this year and I've been a bit nervous about towing that much weight with my 4.7.

Any issues with tranny in yours? I have the factory tow package and just installed my Prodigy P2 brake controller, so should be as well set up as possible. I was a bit nervous about the tranny. I have no issue slowing down on the highway, just can't afford to do any tranny damage. Sounds like the 4.7 does pretty well though. I'll be hauling about 5200 lbs with car and trailer (full steel deck 16' with a 2014 Mustang GT track pack)
__________________
2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7 - daily driver / tow car
2002 Audi S4 - weekend / track toy
2009 Smart Car - wife's semi-car ;)
bigdo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #27
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 5,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdo26 View Post
This makes me happy - I just got a trailer to tow my car to the track ~5-7 times this year and I've been a bit nervous about towing that much weight with my 4.7.

Any issues with tranny in yours? I have the factory tow package and just installed my Prodigy P2 brake controller, so should be as well set up as possible. I was a bit nervous about the tranny. I have no issue slowing down on the highway, just can't afford to do any tranny damage. Sounds like the 4.7 does pretty well though. I'll be hauling about 5200 lbs with car and trailer (full steel deck 16' with a 2014 Mustang GT track pack)
5200lbs - you'll be good to go. 4.7 will do just fine.

If you're concerned about the tranny maybe add an additional auxiliary trans cooler and even a temp gauge.

These things can and will tow quite well.
__________________
~Mike~

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.