4.7 Towing Like a Bauce - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 4.7 Towing Like a Bauce

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 05-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
sonic605hp
2006 WK 

4.7 Towing Like a Bauce

I was a little wary of towing my new camper with our JGC but I figured I'd giv'er a rip and see how she did.

I have an '06 with QDII and the 4.7. The only mod I have is a Timbren SES kit to help her ride level with my trailer in tow. My camper is a 30 foot travel trailer that weighs 5350 dry and tongue weight of 725. With all of our luggage and food I'm guessing she was around 6-6100 lbs.

I have a weight distribution hitch (reduce tongue weight) with reese stabilizer and anti sway bar as well. Of course I have installed a electronic brake controller for the trailer brakes as well.

When hooked up she sat almost dead level and off we went. You can definitely feel that she's pulling a significant amount of weight but everything felt very stable. In tow mode I ended up just using the automanual because the shift points are ****. I was able to maintain highway speed (65) for the trip even up decent grades when shifting accordingly.

The fuel mileage was terrible as expected. I got a whopping 8.2 MPG over the hour long trip.

I do know my next mods will be a tuner, intake, and catback for a little more umph. Other than that I was surprised how the lil 4.7 did with such a load and four people inside. The trans didn't seem to struggle or run hot and there was no tranny smell whatsoever.

The best part was the day we we pulling out a man drove by in an F-150 and saw me hooking the trailer to the Jeep and said, "You're towing that F'n thing with that Jeep?!?" I replied yes, and he continued, " ******* it I wouldn't have traded the Wife's Jeep for this flippin' truck if I thought it would tow my camper." He had the same camper as me and traded his 07 JGC in for an older truck with more miles. Hooray for me and my lil 4.7.

sonic605hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

This is what I like to hear!

I've used the WK to pull a few single axle trailers and random loads as well as dollied my XJ a good number of times. The 4.7 always does great. I'm wanting to use my WK to pull the XJ on a full on trailer (still have to find a good deal on a trailer). All in I'd be lookin at the same roundabout weight as your pull behind. I plan the same set-up as well: WDH, anti-sway, brake controller. I'd really like to have brakes on both trailer axles too.

Thanks for the post and keep us updated on any other towing you do and any mods you do specifically for towing.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
JeepN4KC

Also - does your WK have the tranny cooler (Tow Group IV package)?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
jjt250
2007 WK 

Haha that's a funny story about that F150 guy. How does the Timbren SES work?
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
sonic605hp
2006 WK 

Yes sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Also - does your WK have the tranny cooler (Tow Group IV package)?
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
sonic605hp
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
Haha that's a funny story about that F150 guy. How does the Timbren SES work?

They install in place of the factory bump stops in the middle of the rear coil spring, bolting to the frame. They maintain the stock ride quality but when the suspension is under heavy load the contact the rear axle and provide additional support to the stock spring. They have progressive resistance, so the more weight the stiffer they get; while maintaining a good ride.

The install was only about 2 hours by myself and my first time working on the Jeep.....all you have to do is jack it up by the frame so the suspension bottoms out, unhook the rear shocks, drivers side rear sway bar end link, remove the bump stops and springs. I was really surprised how easy it was.

I'm not sure how it would have performed stock but I did the mod for the piece of mind. And for $189 shipped it was well worth it IMO. All the truck guys love timbren and I chose them over air bags because the chance of failure seemed much less to me and they have a great reputation. JMO.
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
jjt250
2007 WK 

I didn't really like the idea of airbags either. Just too much that could go wrong it seems. If you hit a pot hole, for example, and it bottomed out, would it slam into them (sooner and thus harder than the stock bump stops)? How does that effect articulation also?
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
sonic605hp
2006 WK 

I haven't felt any difference in daily driving performance or any difference in articulation.

Quote:
I didn't really like the idea of airbags either. Just too much that could go wrong it seems. If you hit a pot hole, for example, and it bottomed out, would it slam into them (sooner and thus harder than the stock bump stops)? How does that effect articulation also?
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
LouC
2007 WK 

I've towed a few trailers with my 07 WK Limited and for its size, it is a good tow vehicle. The only help it needs really is the rear suspension is way too soft, so the Timbrens or air bags are the way to go. I have used the Air Lifts on my ZJ for about 8 years and never had a lick of trouble with them. You can get the Jeep completely level and its nice to be able to vary the stiffness. The Hemi pulls like a freight train, the Chrysler 5 speed auto works great in the tow haul mode and the brakes are far superior to the older Grands.
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
wkldr
2008 WK 

Nice to see some people towing - they are actually quite capable. I tow a 4400 lb set up fairly frequently (track car). I have the Group IV tow package on my 5.7. Funny thing is mileage only drops from about 15 mpg to 13 mph - and that is towing at the speed limit. The 4.7's have no shortage of power (my son's WJ with the 4.7 "normal" pulls like crazy). I'll have to look into the timbren setup. I'm looking at moving to an enclosed trailer later this year which will ad another 2k lbs.
Hemi Club #77, BT Oil Catch Can - Expanded Sheet Metal Grill - GLT V1 Mount - Custom front shackle mounts - 2" BB - 1.5" spacers - JK Rubicon wheels - 265/70 BFG AT's - Cobra 75 CB - Hemifever Diablo Sport Tune
wkldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic605hp View Post
I haven't felt any difference in daily driving performance or any difference in articulation.
Good to know, I might have to look into those. Do you have a link to where you bought them?
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
sonic605hp
2006 WK 

Quote:
Good to know, I might have to look into those. Do you have a link to where you bought them?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380595286179...84.m1439.l2649

I bid sent him a best offer of $180 and he took it. Free shipping too.
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic605hp View Post
I have a weight distribution hitch (reduce tongue weight) with reese stabilizer and anti sway bar as well. Of course I have installed a electronic brake controller for the trailer brakes as well.

Thread might be played out -

...but.........

What wdh do you have - what is the rated tongue weight of the wdh more specifically?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #14
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
This is what I like to hear!

I've used the WK to pull a few single axle trailers and random loads as well as dollied my XJ a good number of times. The 4.7 always does great. I'm wanting to use my WK to pull the XJ on a full on trailer (still have to find a good deal on a trailer). All in I'd be lookin at the same roundabout weight as your pull behind. I plan the same set-up as well: WDH, anti-sway, brake controller. I'd really like to have brakes on both trailer axles too.

Thanks for the post and keep us updated on any other towing you do and any mods you do specifically for towing.
ive pulled my yj with my jeep did excellent on a flat bed 22ft trailer i believe, only down falls where squatting and no brake controller but it pulled and stoped fine with out upgrades
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #15
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

I tell every body id rather pull with my wk than my dads 2500 hd chevy 6.0 except for the
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.