4.7 REALLY worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 4.7 REALLY worth it?

Advance Adapters SYE Kits** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
gsxr150

4.7 REALLY worth it?

Hello all! I'm new here, and looking at buying a Jeep GC. I've done a little research, but wanted some personal opinions. I know the 3.7 is a little underpowered, but is it really worth it to search for a jeep with the 4.7? I don't tow anything so that won't be an issue.

FYI- I currently have a rental that just so happens to be a Grand Cherokee with the 3.7. It feels pretty weak, but is there that much diffenence with the 4.7? Mind you I have a C5 corvette for my fun car...haha.

Lastly, should I wait for the 08 4.7, or will I pay the price for doing that...rebates and what not.

gsxr150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
T-Rated

Personally, I find the 3.7 to be disappointing. But you already have a Vette, so you can still have your fun that way. Still, to get the most (except gas mileage) out of your WK, get a bigger engine.

Next year's model is almost always better than this year's model. The only exception for me is when the next year's model is a redesign and has bugs to work out. Is there anything on the '08 you've *gotta* have?

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L • Bells • Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks • Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails • Flowmaster 70 • 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
gsxr150

Personally I would probably be ok with the 3.7 if the deal was right. I'm looking at used for about 20k. It almost looks like I can buy a new one for less?? If I could find one with the 4.7 for about 20k I'd just go for it.

As far as the 08's go, I probably won't get my hands on one of those. Mainly becuase I want a good price. I'm hoping they will dump the 07's with massive rebates. Then I could get one with the 4.7 and a sunroof! That's all I need.
Unread 04-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
garsarno

After driving a '99 Grand Cherokee and '04 Mountaineer, both with V6 engines, the difference going to the Hemi was worth it. The 4.7 V8 will be worth it too because if you go with a 6 cylinder, you will always wonder / wish "if I only had a V8". I can't go back to a six and the gas mileage difference is not that great.
garsarno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
goose1

another thing to keep in mind is the 4WD system-if your getting a 4WD Jeep. the 3.7 typically comes with Quadra-Trac I while the 4.7 automatically comes with Quadra-Trac II.

I too thought a V6 was all i would need. for the most part i would have been happy with it i think, but there have been a couple of times that i was glad i had the extra horsepower and torque the V8 provides. plus, the loss in MPG is really a couple of miles.

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
gsxr150

Great, thanks for the help so far guys. I think I would be happier with the 4.7 in the long run. The only thing is I'd be mad that the 08's have 25% more power and better gas mileage.

Guess you can't have your cake and eat it too...haha
Unread 04-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

The 3.7 is pointless. Get the 4.7 PLEASE...
Unread 04-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
ennemme
2006 WK 

The 4.7L is a good choice.
Unread 04-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
gsxr150

Thanks guys, I would like the 4.7, but looks like I can buy a 05 with low miles for about 17-18 with the 3.7. I'll keep searching though...
Unread 04-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #10
joninnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr150
Hello all! I'm new here, and looking at buying a Jeep GC. I've done a little research, but wanted some personal opinions. I know the 3.7 is a little underpowered, but is it really worth it to search for a jeep with the 4.7? I don't tow anything so that won't be an issue.

FYI- I currently have a rental that just so happens to be a Grand Cherokee with the 3.7. It feels pretty weak, but is there that much diffenence with the 4.7? Mind you I have a C5 corvette for my fun car...haha.

Lastly, should I wait for the 08 4.7, or will I pay the price for doing that...rebates and what not.
HI there,

I have 3.7 just got it. It is not rocket ship by any stretch but is adaquate. I even plan to do some light towing, under 2500lbs. I am sure it will be fine. This is my second GC. the old one 1995 gave to my 17 year old. That has a 4 liter L6, and was rated to tow 5K. Still going strong at 160K miles The new one feels a tad stronger. My thoughts

also I did test drive the 4.7 and it was only mildly better. Did not snap my head back when I punch it...

BTW my other car a benz

jon
joninnj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #11
T-Rated

I bought mine at Carmax, so I kept watching prices. A low miles 06 4.7 4x4 Laredo usually goes for about $21k.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L • Bells • Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks • Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails • Flowmaster 70 • 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #12
cliff

I have a 3.7 and am very pleased with it. I commute about 80 miles per day. And the 20 avg. MPG is helping nowdays at the pump.

I have had it off road on our family ranch several times and the Q1 AWD is ok for mild mud and logging roads. I don't push it to hard because I drive it mainly on the highway. And I set the cruise at 72 and let the world go by.

For me the 3.7 is perfect. However I am a gray headed old guy:> )

However if you need more power or want the low range transfer case for some extreme off road use, go with the 4.7 or Hemi.

I bought an O5 Laredo 4x4 with 20,000 miles for $15,900 on eBay. It was a rental unit. Nothing fancy but very functional.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #13
gsxr150

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff
I have a 3.7 and am very pleased with it. I commute about 80 miles per day. And the 20 avg. MPG is helping nowdays at the pump.

I have had it off road on our family ranch several times and the Q1 AWD is ok for mild mud and logging roads. I don't push it to hard because I drive it mainly on the highway. And I set the cruise at 72 and let the world go by.

For me the 3.7 is perfect. However I am a gray headed old guy:> )

However if you need more power or want the low range transfer case for some extreme off road use, go with the 4.7 or Hemi.

I bought an O5 Laredo 4x4 with 20,000 miles for $15,900 on eBay. It was a rental unit. Nothing fancy but very functional.
Wow, now that's a deal I'd like to find. They will be out there I suppose. Thanks for the input both of you 3.7 guys. I won't be off roading very often...maybe just tooling around at a camp site on the weekends. Other then that it's going to be a car for work, and I travel around all day. Honestly the more I drive this rental 3.7, the more I don't mind it. Esp when I have a 400hp C5 sitting in the garage.

Well boys and girls, I think the 3.7 might win me over. Gas mileage and price for my work vehicle.
Unread 04-11-2007, 05:32 AM   #14
goose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr150
Well boys and girls, I think the 3.7 might win me over. Gas mileage and price for my work vehicle.
Good luck. i don't think you're making a bad choice either. the 3.7 is a very good engine and does everything it is supposed to.

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2007, 04:56 AM   #15
joninnj

HI there,

I have 3.7 just got it. It is not rocket ship by any stretch but is adaquate. I even plan to do some light towing, under 2500lbs. I am sure it will be fine. This is my second GC. the old one 1995 gave to my 17 year old. That has a 4 liter L6, and was rated to tow 5K. That was no rocket ship either and it is Still going strong at 160K miles. The new one feels a tad stronger, ride great, definetly a MB feel to it. My thoughts

Also I did test drive the 4.7 and it was only mildly better. Did not snap my head back when I punch it... I do know that the 08, 4.7 will have a bit more punch. Today only 25HP difference for the V8. Was not enough to me go for the 4.7 when looking at $3/gal for regular gas.

BTW my other car a benz

jon
joninnj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.