? For the 4.7 guy's - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > ? For the 4.7 guy's

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #16
modernblueWK

Does anyone know the cfm rating of the stock electric fan?

Im thinking it would be nice not to hear the roar of the fan when its freezing outside.

Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #17
overland-wk
2006 WK 

His grand cherokee had two fans electric and mechanical fan we just took off the mecanical fan and still has the electric on. It never overheated it always stayed at normal temperature. And no i wont start a thread about an 08 gc overheating cause if it was i would just put it back on.
Bumsmodified98xj
overland-wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #18
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a good rule of thumb. A fan and clutch cost a good chunk of money. You can be pretty sure it would not be there if the engineers could get away without it. So, I would say that yes, the factory electric is not enough on its own.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Here is a good rule of thumb. A fan and clutch cost a good chunk of money. You can be pretty sure it would not be there if the engineers could get away without it. So, I would say that yes, the factory electric is not enough on its own.
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
caulk04
2008 WK 

In the Dakota, the PCM kicks the fan on at 210º coolant temp. The temp sender is on the outlet of the engine. Monitoring the PCMs temp signal showed that the engine ran no more than 10º hotter when simply removing the clutch fan. Fixing the non-problem brought it right down to where it was before hand.

For normal driving, the clutch fan is not needed. It's there for towing, extreme ambient temp and low speed service. All of these circumstances are ones that I would recommend putting it back on. Not sure of space available with the WK fan shroud, but it took all of 2 minutes to put it back on my Dakota.

Bottom line, if you don't want to do it, don't. Don't crucify this guy because he did.
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
overland-wk
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
In the Dakota, the PCM kicks the fan on at 210º coolant temp. The temp sender is on the outlet of the engine. Monitoring the PCMs temp signal showed that the engine ran no more than 10º hotter when simply removing the clutch fan. Fixing the non-problem brought it right down to where it was before hand.

For normal driving, the clutch fan is not needed. It's there for towing, extreme ambient temp and low speed service. All of these circumstances are ones that I would recommend putting it back on. Not sure of space available with the WK fan shroud, but it took all of 2 minutes to put it back on my Dakota.

Bottom line, if you don't want to do it, don't. Don't crucify this guy because he did.
Thanks

Im sure if the hemi can do with out one the 4.7 can too.
Bumsmodified98xj
overland-wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
R4TCHET
2005 WK 

I think I read somewhere that if you don't have to tow package it doesn't come with the clutch fan. It really only does anything if you are towing a lot, I even have towed without the clutch fan and it was no problem. I still have my old clutch fan in my garage and can install it at any point in time. Now I wouldn't tow a huge amount long distances or in lots of stop and go driving without the clutch fan but my wk runs fine without the clutch fan I used to off-road 3-4 times per week during the summer on some pretty taxing trails and the engine would never go higher than if it had the clutch fan on anyways.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone using JeepForum
| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #23
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

I know this may not help, but my 07 4.7 does not have a clutch fan. Didn't when I bought it. Its got a pretty large electric fan though.
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.