? For the 4.7 guy's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > ? For the 4.7 guy's

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
overland-wk
2006 WK 

? For the 4.7 guy's

My brother inlaw has a 08 gc limited with a 4.7 he hated the way it sounded when he would accelerate so we desided the remove the fan and clutch. And he said it accelerates better and hasent overheated even in the summer so i wanna know if any of the 4.7 guys have done the same?

Bumsmodified98xj
overland-wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

That has bad idea written all over it. I would never remove my fan or fan clutch. If the engine didn't need it for cooling then it wouldn't be on there.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
That has bad idea written all over it. I would never remove my fan or fan clutch. If the engine didn't need it for cooling then it wouldn't be on there.
This.

I see a new thread coming.

"My 08 WK is overheating"
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyone
This. I see a new thread coming. "My 08 WK is overheating"
Or "blown head gasket on 2008"...

If the engine didn't need a fan and the clutch it wouldn't have came with one...
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

If you are going to leave the clutch fan off, I would suggest electric fans.
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

At highway speeds you don't need the fan.But otherwise you definitely do. I second the electric fan vote

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
JeepN4KC

What would be the point of eliminating an integral part of the cooling system, just to replace it with something else that may or may not be available, compatible, or workable for this Jeep?

The acceleration gains won't get ya home when the engine boils over.

This whole thread seems ridiculous.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Quote:
What would be the point of eliminating an integral part of the cooling system, just to replace it with something else that may or may not be available, compatible, or workable for this Jeep?

The acceleration gains won't get ya home when the engine boils over.

This whole thread seems ridiculous.
Swapping to electric fans is a common mod to free up horse power and give a slight increase in fuel economy.
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverado View Post
Swapping to electric fans is a common mod to free up horse power and give a slight increase in fuel economy.
Yeah - it's common for the 4 banger Wranglers or I6 XJ's that are turning 35's or 37's or more, or maybe the racing scene.

Not so much with the respect to the WK.

The OP is talking about a 4.7 V8 (a second generation 4.7) - that fan/clutch isn't exactly holding back it's potential.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

Chevy guys typically see 8-10 rwhp increase by swapping to efans on the 4.8 and 5.3 engines. I would guess the 4.7s would see about the same results.
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
R4TCHET
2005 WK 

On my 05 4.7l there was 2 fans an electric fan and a clutch fan electric fan is up against the radiator and the clutch fan is behind it. When I replaced my waterpump I kept the clutch fan off and I don't have any problems with overheating even during the summer. I'm a delivery driver and even in hours of constant city driving during the summer it runs just fine. I think all WKs come with the electric and with the tow package they include the clutch fan. The jeep does feel better without the fan on it too. I don't do much towing but I do plenty of off-roading up in the mountains and with the slow driving in 4 low it still keeps it cool. Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone using JeepForum
| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #12
modernblueWK

Same here two fans on there. Clutch and electric.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Yeah - it's common for the 4 banger Wranglers or I6 XJ's that are turning 35's or 37's or more, or maybe the racing scene.

Not so much with the respect to the WK.

The OP is talking about a 4.7 V8 (a second generation 4.7) - that fan/clutch isn't exactly holding back it's potential.
i have to agree with mike on this, its a second gen 4.7- that motors already putting out 305... the gains from eliminating the fan and clutch assembly will be minor on this motor.

useless idea- its a jeep grand cherokee... doubt hes using it for anything else than daily driving. even if he does wheel it, if it aint broke dont fix it..
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #14
caulk04
2008 WK 

The guy stated he didn't like the sound of the mech fan, the performance gain was a bonus after the fact.

This is very common with 4.7 Dakota owners. Myself included while I owned one. I believe the GC's have a much larger e-fan than the Dakotas did stock which further lessens the heat issue.

The only 'issue' is that the stock efan doesn't come on until the engine is a little warmer, an issue I corrected by running a stand alone fan controller.

When towing, put the fan back on. Otherwise, leave it off and enjoy the lack of an underhood tornado.
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
The guy stated he didn't like the sound of the mech fan, the performance gain was a bonus after the fact.

This is very common with 4.7 Dakota owners. Myself included while I owned one. I believe the GC's have a much larger e-fan than the Dakotas did stock which further lessens the heat issue.

The only 'issue' is that the stock efan doesn't come on until the engine is a little warmer, an issue I corrected by running a stand alone fan controller.

When towing, put the fan back on. Otherwise, leave it off and enjoy the lack of an underhood tornado.
Hopefully, there was more thought put into removing the fan/clutch than simply not liking the sound. Again, this "common" mod is geared more toward the street guys and most likely other measures are taken to ensure heat issues ^^^ like stated above.

Otherwise, you're subjecting the engine to chronically higher than normal operating temps and relying on the AUXILIARY electric fan to do all the work.

I still say it's a bad idea.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.