JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   ? For the 4.7 guy's (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/4-7-guys-1695393/)

overland-wk 10-17-2013 05:49 PM

? For the 4.7 guy's

My brother inlaw has a 08 gc limited with a 4.7 he hated the way it sounded when he would accelerate so we desided the remove the fan and clutch. And he said it accelerates better and hasent overheated even in the summer so i wanna know if any of the 4.7 guys have done the same?

JeepN4KC 10-17-2013 06:19 PM

That has bad idea written all over it. I would never remove my fan or fan clutch. If the engine didn't need it for cooling then it wouldn't be on there.

onlyone 10-17-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepN4KC (Post 16926521)
That has bad idea written all over it. I would never remove my fan or fan clutch. If the engine didn't need it for cooling then it wouldn't be on there.

This.

I see a new thread coming.

"My 08 WK is overheating"

paroxysym 10-17-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyone
This. I see a new thread coming. "My 08 WK is overheating"

Or "blown head gasket on 2008"...

If the engine didn't need a fan and the clutch it wouldn't have came with one...

quicksilverado 10-17-2013 07:22 PM

If you are going to leave the clutch fan off, I would suggest electric fans.

jay-h 10-17-2013 07:27 PM

At highway speeds you don't need the fan.But otherwise you definitely do. I second the electric fan vote

JeepN4KC 10-17-2013 07:38 PM

What would be the point of eliminating an integral part of the cooling system, just to replace it with something else that may or may not be available, compatible, or workable for this Jeep?

The acceleration gains won't get ya home when the engine boils over.

This whole thread seems ridiculous.

quicksilverado 10-17-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepN4KC (Post 16928857)
What would be the point of eliminating an integral part of the cooling system, just to replace it with something else that may or may not be available, compatible, or workable for this Jeep?

The acceleration gains won't get ya home when the engine boils over.

This whole thread seems ridiculous.

Swapping to electric fans is a common mod to free up horse power and give a slight increase in fuel economy.

JeepN4KC 10-17-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quicksilverado (Post 16929825)
Swapping to electric fans is a common mod to free up horse power and give a slight increase in fuel economy.

Yeah - it's common for the 4 banger Wranglers or I6 XJ's that are turning 35's or 37's or more, or maybe the racing scene.

Not so much with the respect to the WK.

The OP is talking about a 4.7 V8 (a second generation 4.7) - that fan/clutch isn't exactly holding back it's potential.

quicksilverado 10-17-2013 09:55 PM

Chevy guys typically see 8-10 rwhp increase by swapping to efans on the 4.8 and 5.3 engines. I would guess the 4.7s would see about the same results.

R4TCHET 10-17-2013 10:16 PM

On my 05 4.7l there was 2 fans an electric fan and a clutch fan electric fan is up against the radiator and the clutch fan is behind it. When I replaced my waterpump I kept the clutch fan off and I don't have any problems with overheating even during the summer. I'm a delivery driver and even in hours of constant city driving during the summer it runs just fine. I think all WKs come with the electric and with the tow package they include the clutch fan. The jeep does feel better without the fan on it too. I don't do much towing but I do plenty of off-roading up in the mountains and with the slow driving in 4 low it still keeps it cool. Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone using JeepForum

modernblueWK 10-17-2013 10:43 PM

Same here two fans on there. Clutch and electric.

paroxysym 10-18-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepN4KC (Post 16930513)
Yeah - it's common for the 4 banger Wranglers or I6 XJ's that are turning 35's or 37's or more, or maybe the racing scene.

Not so much with the respect to the WK.

The OP is talking about a 4.7 V8 (a second generation 4.7) - that fan/clutch isn't exactly holding back it's potential.

i have to agree with mike on this, its a second gen 4.7- that motors already putting out 305... the gains from eliminating the fan and clutch assembly will be minor on this motor.

useless idea- its a jeep grand cherokee... doubt hes using it for anything else than daily driving. even if he does wheel it, if it aint broke dont fix it..

caulk04 10-18-2013 06:38 AM

The guy stated he didn't like the sound of the mech fan, the performance gain was a bonus after the fact.

This is very common with 4.7 Dakota owners. Myself included while I owned one. I believe the GC's have a much larger e-fan than the Dakotas did stock which further lessens the heat issue.

The only 'issue' is that the stock efan doesn't come on until the engine is a little warmer, an issue I corrected by running a stand alone fan controller.

When towing, put the fan back on. Otherwise, leave it off and enjoy the lack of an underhood tornado.

JeepN4KC 10-18-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caulk04 (Post 16938233)
The guy stated he didn't like the sound of the mech fan, the performance gain was a bonus after the fact.

This is very common with 4.7 Dakota owners. Myself included while I owned one. I believe the GC's have a much larger e-fan than the Dakotas did stock which further lessens the heat issue.

The only 'issue' is that the stock efan doesn't come on until the engine is a little warmer, an issue I corrected by running a stand alone fan controller.

When towing, put the fan back on. Otherwise, leave it off and enjoy the lack of an underhood tornado.

Hopefully, there was more thought put into removing the fan/clutch than simply not liking the sound. Again, this "common" mod is geared more toward the street guys and most likely other measures are taken to ensure heat issues ^^^ like stated above.

Otherwise, you're subjecting the engine to chronically higher than normal operating temps and relying on the AUXILIARY electric fan to do all the work.

I still say it's a bad idea.

The time now is 06:18 AM.