4.7 Exhaust Upgrade - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 10-25-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Luther9351
2014 WK 

4.7 Exhaust Upgrade

I need some help! I'd like to get a new muffler for the Wk. I dont want loud. I want something real deep, but sounds good. Something that will get louder when im on it, but with a low, strong grumble of the V8. Louder than stock, but not ear piercing when just pulling out of the driveway. I dont wanna put a full system on, just the muffler. What do you guys have?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Bchain5
2007 WK 

I would also like an answer to this one!

My 7th Jeep, 07 Grand Cherokee QTII 4.7L
#164 of the Silver WK Club
My build http://goo.gl/sr5m5f
post #3 of 30 Old 10-25-2015, 11:39 PM
Kolak
Vendor

The Magnaflow large case stainless steel muffler sounds great on the 4.7. It's got a nice deep, mellow tone. You should get a resonator so there's no drone or resonance. I have a nice setup available. Send me a PM for more info

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 Old 10-26-2015, 05:00 AM
paroxysym
2007 WK 

ill have to agree with kolak on this one- I have ran a magnaflow on my 4.7 since I bought it. im not sure on the size but its pretty close to the size of the stock muffler, however it does provide I a deep/throaty sound at WOT and a subtle tone at cruising speed. my biggest concern was drone as my last couple vehicles have been a bit obnoxious and made road trips a bit of a headache. however, being that I got one closest to stock dimenions, there is little drone- and having a 1 year old im happy with this as even when I lay into it its tame enough as to not wake the little guy. I would definitely consider buying one

2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
post #5 of 30 Old 10-26-2015, 10:11 AM
wave_crusher
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
The Magnaflow large case stainless steel muffler sounds great on the 4.7. It's got a nice deep, mellow tone. You should get a resonator so there's no drone or resonance. I have a nice setup available. Send me a PM for more info
I have heard nothing but good things for the magnaflow on a 4.7L

What/where does the resonator go? Call me a noob on that one

06 4.7L QT-II, RC 2", 255/70-17 Revo2, 1.5 spacers, SC Tuner, coilover shocks
Blk WK member #174
post #6 of 30 Old 10-26-2015, 01:05 PM
stevezawada44
2005 WK 

yeah I'm not the sharpest one on this topic either. My muffler already is starting to rust out and makes a nice deep sound thats not too loud but definitely noticeable. But sooner or later its gonna go and I'm going to need a new one. I'm thinking about just making it a straight pipe, maybe the side exhaust that I've seen a lot on here that I think is pretty sweet. That might be my cheapest option since I'll be doing it myself. How much does the magna flow cost? I've seen some cheap glass packs on ebay and amazon I may also go for.
post #7 of 30 Old 10-26-2015, 02:36 PM
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

I opted in for the Magnaflow 13749. The case measures 30" long which is identical to the length of the factory muffler, it's just a bit narrower. I haven't installed it yet so I can't speak to how loud it is, however the reason I went for such a large case is because I too don't want an obnoxiously loud exhaust. This one should be just slightly louder than stock, not to mention more free-flowing. It is a staggered 3" in/out so should work nicely with our stock piping.

I'm getting it installed tomorrow so I'll try and grab some before and after video of the sound, and some pics.

'06 WK 4.7L V8 4WD | Recently purchased '05 WK 4.7L V8 4WD
post #8 of 30 Old 10-26-2015, 04:51 PM
samwise70

I had a dyno max VT on my commander that had a 4.7. It sounded good and was quiet under 2000 rpm.
post #9 of 30 Old 10-26-2015, 05:15 PM
leftoverture
2007 WK 

I would be very interested in the cost of the Magnaflow.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
post #10 of 30 Old 10-27-2015, 12:49 AM
Kolak
Vendor

The resonator I use is contained inside a polished exhaust tip so it goes right on the end of the tailpipe. Your muffler shop would just cut off a bit of the stock tailpipe and attach the tip to it.

PM me for pricing -

or
post #11 of 30 Old 10-27-2015, 05:32 AM
leftoverture
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
The resonator I use is contained inside a polished exhaust tip so it goes right on the end of the tailpipe. Your muffler shop would just cut off a bit of the stock tailpipe and attach the tip to it.

PM me for pricing -
PM sent.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
post #12 of 30 Old 10-27-2015, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Luther9351
2014 WK 

Looked up some videos, and I actually wouldn't mind having a Magnaflow Cat back. Any deals on those?
post #13 of 30 Old 10-28-2015, 01:21 AM
Kolak
Vendor

If you go with a catback, PM me about the Gibson. It's the proper 3" diameter for the V8 and will have no issues with drone.

or
post #14 of 30 Old 10-29-2015, 03:47 AM
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

+1 for the Magnaflow/resonator from Kolak. I purchased this set up from him and it's been great. You get a deeper tone but still very livable, especially on the freeway.

My only complaint would be in the higher RPM range where it seems to lose that beefy grumble. This may be due in part to me running a stock airbox w/drop in K&N, or just the nature of the resonator. At the end of the day though, I enjoy it and it suits my needs perfect.

Kevin K.
post #15 of 30 Old 10-29-2015, 08:09 AM
BonesWK
2006 WK 

Old video, but figured I would post up. Just a muffler replace, no other work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RC74VbCa8

Ryan
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II SOLD

Current - 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.