4.7 Buyers Remorse? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 4.7 Buyers Remorse?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
jthomaslambert

4.7 Buyers Remorse?

Hi everybody--just got home from our Jeep dealer where I traded in my Liberty Renegade for a Limited Commander. I take delivery tomorrow (can't wait--like Christmas!). Anyways, now that I'm away from the shop, I'm starting to wonder if I really should have spent the extra cash on the Hemi. Can anyone out there comment? Is the 4.7 quite enough on this vehicle (I won't be towing) or am I just overthinking.

Cheers!
J.

jthomaslambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
smitty1938

I had a Dodge Quad Cab that I traded in on the Liberty. It had the 4.7 and was more than enough to haul anything I put in the bed of the truck.
smitty1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
silverback

couldn't tell ya we went with the 5.7 and love it
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
SYCOHEMI

Loving the HEMI. Very smooth engine. I don't think the 4.7L is a wimpy engine. Now, if you bought the 6 cylinder, on the other hand...
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
SGilbert
2014 KL Cherokee 

I seriously doubt that you'll be sorry with the 4.7. If I didn't need to tow a big boat several times/year, I'd have gone with the 4.7 also.

I had the 4.7 in a '00 Grand Cherokee Ltd., and it was a very strong & reliable engine.

Enjoy your new Commander.
Unread 04-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
J-Wagon

Sometime when i'm merging or trying to get around someone I wish I had the hemi. But when i'm getting twice the MPG that the hemi gets i'm very happy I got the 4.7.
J-Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
silverback

WOW your getting 34 mpg I need one of those magical 4.7 engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Wagon
Sometime when i'm merging or trying to get around someone I wish I had the hemi. But when i'm getting twice the MPG that the hemi gets i'm very happy I got the 4.7.
Unread 04-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
J-Wagon

Your telling me the hemi gets 17mpg? The car and driver comparison stayed in the single digits the entire time they drove the car. I drove the hemi for about 20-25 minutes on half highway half streets and my average was 8.7. Thats what made me go with the 4.7.
J-Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2006, 05:55 PM   #9
Chipster009

You can't get a true avg. MPG reading if you just take 20-25 minutes of driving into the calculation. I'm sure the 4.7L will read much lower than advertised mileage if you do that.

My HEMI got an avg. 16.5 mpg on a recent mostly-freeway trip (70-80 mph on the interstate )... resetting the MPG computer between fill-ups. I just wish the computer displayed whether MDS was on.

But in stop-and-go traffic... I've seen it go down to 9-12 mpg all throughout the time I filled the tank and 1/8th towards empty.
Unread 04-28-2006, 06:00 PM   #10
silverback

Yes our commander averges around 17 mpg a little higher if my better half is driving and a little lower if I driving... I have fat feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Wagon
Your telling me the hemi gets 17mpg? The car and driver comparison stayed in the single digits the entire time they drove the car. I drove the hemi for about 20-25 minutes on half highway half streets and my average was 8.7. Thats what made me go with the 4.7.
Unread 04-28-2006, 06:16 PM   #11
bullaculla

I agree!
I traded in a '05 rwd WK with 4.7 for my '06 XK with the Hemi and QDII. not much difference in mpg. and we dont have many freeways in hawaii. I was getting a full tank average of 16-17 mpg with the 4.7 rwd, With the 4x4 XK im getting 13-14 mpg without trying to conserve gas.
far from twice.
Unread 04-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #12
Chris05GrdCherk

The 4.7L is a PROVEN engine, dont worry about it. I would pick the 4.7L again, better gas mileage, still has the V8 rumble, more reliable than the HEMI - has been in Grand Cherokee's for a very long time, longer than the HEMI in Rams/Durangos.

The 4.7 does have get up and go, just not as much. But remember how many times, at over 3$/gal will you want to unecessarily waste gas by heavy acceleration? The HEMI is faster, but wastes even more gas. The XK is heavy, you really wont want to race a small ricer, you would probably lose just on the weight to hp ratio. Edmunds.com quoted 0-60 in an HEMI XK at 8 seconds, not sure if that's exaggerated or even accurate, but it proves the point, what real reason do you NEED the bigger V8? If you wanted to race, get the SRT8 WK or get a ML65 :P

Last edited by Chris05GrdCherk; 04-28-2006 at 08:04 PM..
Chris05GrdCherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2006, 08:09 PM   #13
silverback

So how is the 4.7 more reliable than the HEMI....Its been proven that both engines get about the same mpg

To the original poster Im sure you will be happy with the 4.7 Im not going to surgar coat anything I needed the extra uummff to pull a boat and have been very happy with hemi. I would not have gotten the 4.7 but thats me.

congrats on the new jeep you will love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris05GrdCherk
The 4.7L is a PROVEN engine, dont worry about it. I would pick the 4.7L again, better gas mileage, still has the V8 rumble, more reliable than the HEMI - has been in Grand Cherokee's for a very long time, longer than the HEMI in Rams/Durangos.
Unread 04-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #14
Todd Abbott

I've always been a fan of bigger, faster, louder in the engine dept. but I have the 4.7 and for how I use my Commander it's fine, I have a summer toy and a company car so this fills the bill for something in the middle, had the Hemi been available in the base model or a more affordable package I would have gotten it but I just couldn't justify the cost vs. performance gain.
Todd Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #15
SYCOHEMI

To say that the HEMI wastes more gas, I believe is probably inaccurate, or at least misleading.

The 5.7L HEMI has the MDS (Multi Displacement Feature) which is absent in the 4.7L, and the EPA ratings indicate that mileage expectations should be roughly equivalent.

The demand for the HEMI is exceptionally strong in the new buyers market, and should remain strong in the pre-owned market as well. In models where it is offered, I think it is a great value, and one of the main reasons I personally purchased this vehicle. I am very impressed with the strength and smoothness of the engine. And offroad, it was very usable, due to the smoothness, as well as easily handling the larger and heavier AT tires with no problem.

K&N lent me a Dodge Durango with the 4.7L engine for a week, while they worked on developing the intake kit. From what I experienced, it was a perfectly fine engine and I am sure it will more than get the job done. I agree, it is unfortunate that the HEMI is not offered in the base package as an option.

I consider myself an experienced motorsports enthusiast, having test ridden motorcycles for factory sponsors on the Nurburgring at speeds approaching 160 mph, driven cars on racetracks, directed and consulted for multiple organizations and foundations in the motorsports industry, etc., and I agree it is probably true - does anyone really need a HEMI?

But it sure is one great engine. Can 469,000 people be wrong? Do you hear many people who have HEMI's complain about them?

Of course, the only person that matters when all is said and done, is whether you are happy with your choice. I'm very happy, just as I am equally certain there are people equally happy with the 4.7L and the 3.7L.

But to attack the HEMI and make erroneous claims about mileage or reliability just isn't warranted. Reliability will be determined in time, but at present time, I don't think there are any major concerns that have surfaced for any of these engines.

The following information, comes from About.com:

That Thing Got A Hemi?

Since first introducing the all-new 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine for the 2003 model year, Chrysler Group has sold more than 469,000 vehicles with a HEMI inside. In Chrysler Group vehicles where HEMI is offered, the take-rate is 46%. For Dodge Durango, the take-rate is 54%. The 2005 Dodge Ram is at 46%, while Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300C are at 43%. Jeep Grand Cherokee's take-rate is 29%.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE

Last edited by SYCOHEMI; 04-28-2006 at 10:10 PM..
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.