3rd row seat in a Cherokee? Any time soon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 3rd row seat in a Cherokee? Any time soon

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
jeepguy1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

3rd row seat in a Cherokee? Any time soon

My wife is currently leasing a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo which she really likes, but with 3 kids under 10 years of age, we could use a little more space. Does anyone know whether they are comming out with a grand cherokee with a third row seat. I know the Commander is an option and we havent tried one out yet but she really likes the Cherokee and a third row seat would be nice.

Thanks
Chris

jeepguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
z_gilligan
2010 JK Wrangler 

The Commander has a third row. That is why they built the commander. Jeep would have to dramatically redesign a GC to allow a 3rd row to fit back there.
z_gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
bsteele

there is barely any room in the 2nd row...
bsteele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

The 2010 Grand Cherokee or 2011 is supposed to be on the same platform as the Durango. Bigger and third row seating.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
The 2010 Grand Cherokee or 2011 is supposed to be on the same platform as the Durango. Bigger and third row seating.

Hunter
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O

....OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

They're finally killing the Grand Cherokee?

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
anerbe

they're commonizing the GC with other Chrysler/Dodge midsize SUV models, but it will be based more off the current M-Class. It won't be current durango size.
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #7
Marcus86GLHS

^+1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! some more.

they make the GC any larger i am out of the new GC forever. want a third row seat? there's lots of other good choices, like the Commander.

the GC has always been just-the-right-size for millions of buyers! that's one of the strengths of the design.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
VinoTJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

The GC would be AWESOME with an optional 3rd row (rear facing) seat.

My wife bought a Volvo wagon for this reason after driving her WJ for 5 years. She looked at the Commander and could not execute on it. Too Boxy - too tall - not enough storage space.

She can get a dealer-installed 3rd row seat in the volvo v70 "if" she discovers that she needs to carry more than 3 kids in a frequent basis.
Unread 01-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinoTJ
The GC would be AWESOME with an optional 3rd row (rear facing) seat.

My wife bought a Volvo wagon for this reason after driving her WJ for 5 years. She looked at the Commander and could not execute on it. Too Boxy - too tall - not enough storage space.

She can get a dealer-installed 3rd row seat in the volvo v70 "if" she discovers that she needs to carry more than 3 kids in a frequent basis.
If you need a 3rd row seat, get a 'Burban or a minivan (or a Volvo station wagon), but leave the classic Grand Cherokee alone.

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
VinoTJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

I want my cake & eat it too.

When she got the volvo, she asked which I was going to sell - the TJ or the WJ - I told her neither!

I could not part with my 01 WJ limited with only 70k miles on it!
And I am no way going to get rid of my toy......(05 TJ)

Someday I will replace the WJ with a new Grand, but I wish it had the "option" of a "removable" 3rd row seat. Just an option on the same platform.

And when is ANY of this have anything to do with "need", this is all a "want".
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
jeepguy1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS
^+1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! some more.

they make the GC any larger i am out of the new GC forever. want a third row seat? there's lots of other good choices, like the Commander.

the GC has always been just-the-right-size for millions of buyers! that's one of the strengths of the design.
All i am saying is the an optional 3rd row seat would be nice. Obviously they would still offer the GC in the current models, makes and sizes.
jeepguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
mc22958
2008 WK 

Unless jeep decides to change the axle configuration I do not think we will see a third row seat in the GC. Ford waited to get the independent rear suspension before they could offer the third row in the Explorer. I too hope Jeep keeps the current GC configuration.
Discovery 4.6
mc22958 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:31 AM   #13
Marcus86GLHS

even an optional third row seat would require drastic, and imo detrimental, suspension and size/volume changes to the current GC which would ruin the classic character.

it'll never happen.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #14
shodown99gp
2000 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.littleseats.com/jeep_grand_cherokee.htm

Here is your optional 3rd row seat...

Also the last motor trend which named the CTS car of the year or whatever, there was a tech article or something talking about chrysler and cars that were being cut and added, the Commander is gone and it said a 3 row grand would be coming out soon??? But who knows
shodown99gp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
VinoTJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodown99gp
http://www.littleseats.com/jeep_grand_cherokee.htm

Here is your optional 3rd row seat...

Also the last motor trend which named the CTS car of the year or whatever, there was a tech article or something talking about chrysler and cars that were being cut and added, the Commander is gone and it said a 3 row grand would be coming out soon??? But who knows
somnabeech - that is great.
if I would have known about that earlier - I could have sold the wife on a WK instead of the Volvo Wagon. At least I know about that for when the Volvo's lease is up.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.