.360 v8 specification error - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > .360 v8 specification error

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 10-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Johnfehler

.360 v8 specification error

hey there everyone. I recently acquired in 1979 Jeep Cherokee. Its got the bone stock 360 v8 in it as best I can tell. So the curiosity got the best of me and I went online to find out what the specs were on this bad boy. Everywhere I look they all say the same thing. 127 base horsepower. That can't be right, can it? My V for in my outboard motor on my boat has 115 horsepower and it's only a four cylinder. How could a huge v8 only produced 127 horsepower.

Johnfehler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

1st, you're in the wrong forum. This is for 2005-10 Grand Cherokees and Commanders.

And yes, I believe your 360 probably did make 127 HP! Why? Because of all the emissions regulations on cars in the late 1970's. I had a 1976 Cadillac with a 500 cubic inch engine, and it only made 190 HP! Today, a 4 banger Civic has that much HP!
caddydaddy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
Johnfehler

well, I see that previous versions of the 360 from the late 70 s early sixties, and the ones that were made after 1981 her at 2, almost 200 horsepower. Are you telling me that there 100 horsepower worth of emissions equipment that were installed those few years
Unread 10-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Johnfehler

Also. what forum do I need to be in? Its a 1979 Jeep Grand Cherokee Chief.
Unread 10-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfehler View Post
well, I see that previous versions of the 360 from the late 70 s early sixties, and the ones that were made after 1981 her at 2, almost 200 horsepower. Are you telling me that there 100 horsepower worth of emissions equipment that were installed those few years
Well, due to the different method of measuring HP (Gross vs Net), that made a big drop in numbers. Then add on lower compression and other smog equipment, and yes, that will cause a huge drop!
For instance, the 1970 Cadillac 500 was rated at 400 HP. Like I said earlier, in 1976 it only had 190 HP! That was due to a big drop in compression ratios, added smog equipment and the change from Gross to Net HP.
Unread 10-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfehler View Post
Also. what forum do I need to be in? Its a 1979 Jeep Grand Cherokee Chief.
This forum should have owners with similar Jeeps:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/
Unread 10-03-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
Johnfehler

wow, that's incredible. Well thank you for the feedback. I haven't really gotten that on the road to even see what it's capable of, however, I've driven a 360 before in my J-10. I think I'm going to officially reserve judgement until I Drive it on the road. Thanks again for the feedback

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.