30K Mile Service Question (Dealer to do service) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 30K Mile Service Question (Dealer to do service)

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Natemare13
2007 WK 

30K Mile Service Question (Dealer to do service)

Hi Everyone.

I purchased a CPO 2007 Grand Cherokee Limited at the end of January. It currently has 20,950 miles on it.

1) I am looking at the manual and it says at 15K miles it needs a front/rear axel differential fluid change. I have no idea if the vehicle received that service or not since it was not in my possession. How important is this? the car is easily 5K miles over on this service. The car has never been off-road and has been driven fairly lightly (in stop and go traffic 50% of the time. the other 50% is free flowing suburb streets).

2) Should I just wait until the 30K mile service where they change the front/rear axel differential fluid AS WELL as the transfer case fluid and spark plugs?

3) How much did your 30K mile service cost on your Grand Cherokee?

4) I have a fluid evacuator (you know the thing that will suck up the fluid through the fill holes). Is it easy enough for me to do the front/rear differential with the evacuator?

6) what do you suggest I do with my dilema of being in limbo between the 15K front rear diff fluid change and the 30K mile service. I'm sort of in the middle but again I dont know if the previous owner did a 15K mile front/rear diff change (I dont think they did).

7) finally, the car is up to date on oil changes - I am running synthetic oil...does anyone see any problems with that necessarily? I've never owned a jeep/truck before and I'm used to putting synthetics in my sportier sedans/coupes.

Natemare13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Natemare13
2007 WK 

53 views and no one has an opinion? I find that hard to believe...
Natemare13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
anywaytothetop
2006 WK 

I'm pretty sure that the service department can pull your vin number and see if any services have been done at any dealer in the past. I would check that first.
anywaytothetop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
scottydog
2006 WK 

The diffs can go 30k under normal conditions, 15k for heavy duty use. The rear is easy to suction out, although most of us take the diff pan off and clean it out/reseal. The front dif and transfer case need a 14mm hex wrench, but otherwise is pretty easy to drain out and refill.

I would wait until 30k for all of this. DIY, it's way too easy a job to let the dealership screw it up and overcharge you. I assume you have the 4.7. Use synthetic gear oil for front and back, no additive needed. get the transfer case fluid at the dealer, take your vin in and make sure it's the right stuff.
scottydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.