3000 miles in catch can language - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 3000 miles in catch can language

Save on Selected Dynomax Exhaust Systems!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and

Unread 01-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

3000 miles in catch can language

Just wanted to share this. I'm so glad i decided to empty it this morning. This is in about 3000 miles and 4 weeks.

image-2544102271.jpg

Unread 01-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

It looks clean enough to put back into the crankcase
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
Aclow33
2006 WK 

I'd use that in a pumpkin pie, it'd add a little "spice" to it.

I check mine every 1000-1500 miles and its usually 1/4 full.

Looks like you should check it more often.
Unread 01-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

I usually check it every oil change and it is about 1/4 full as well. But I guess since it has became colder, there is a lot more condensation that is involved in producing this much byproduct. I will be checking it more often now for sure.
Unread 01-06-2015, 05:36 AM   #5
Marcus86GLHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloj2003wj View Post
Just wanted to share this. I'm so glad i decided to empty it this morning. This is in about 3000 miles and 4 weeks.

that is a lot of oil!

how many miles are on your engine?

are you sure your PCV valve isn't stuck?

i think something has to be wrong with your engine to push this volume of engine oil through the crankcase ventilation system in 3,000 miles.

i check mine once per year (I only put about 2,000 miles/year on my Hemi WK) and I get about 2 fluid ounces.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 05:39 AM   #6
unobtanium
2010 WK 

I remember the horror stories when I owned an LS1 car. Now I own a HEMI jeep. I have not ever used a catch-can except on a carbureted 5.0 mustang. My LS1, I sold at 149K miles still getting 27+mpg and running strong. My HEMI returns 18-19mpg on road-trips averaging 75mph or so. I know people say that a catch can is "mandatory" on these vehicles, but I have never seen a need for one.
Unread 01-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #7
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
i think something has to be wrong with your engine to push this volume of engine oil through the crankcase ventilation system in 3,000 miles.
Welcome to EPA regulations. Chrysler says it's "within acceptable ranges" to lose a quart of oil every 3,000 miles. Crappy piston rings.
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 07:14 AM   #8
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
that is a lot of oil!

how many miles are on your engine?

are you sure your PCV valve isn't stuck?

i check mine once per year (I only put about 2,000 miles/year on my Hemi WK) and I get about 2 fluid ounces.
Judging by color, it's not all oil. Depending on where they're mounted, length of drives, etc. catch cans will pick up a good bit of moisture in cold weather. In the winter, the stuff that comes out of mine is at least 1/2 water most of the time. As a result, it needs emptying much more often than during the summer, where it only accumulates little bits of oil.
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
Marcus86GLHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtanium View Post
......I know people say that a catch can is "mandatory" on these vehicles, but I have never seen a need for one.

i would not say a catch can is mandatory, but, for about $100 you get the benefit of maintaining a clean throttle body which helps performance and economy. Without a catch can on a typical Hemi you are likely going to need to service/clean the TB every 25,000 miles, if you want to maintain optimum performance out of your engine.

without a doubt my catch can is trapping small amounts of oil that would have entered the intake tract and degraded performance and driveability. if the catch can was empty every time I checked it I would remove it from the engine.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #10
skibum555
2005 WK 

I was looking into the infamous chocolate milkshake issue the other day and a lot of people credit the milky fluid to the oil in the catch can getting mixed with condensation that stems from cold weather and a hot engine bay. unless the milky fluid is coming out of your oil pan then no need to worry. I checked mine the other day and had some mily goop in my catch can I was nervous to say the least. the lxforums have a lot of hemi info that applies to our jeeps.
MEMBER #105
skibum555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #11
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrett View Post
Welcome to EPA regulations. Chrysler says it's "within acceptable ranges" to lose a quart of oil every 3,000 miles. Crappy piston rings.
It's not crappy piston rings. I don't know what rings the HEMI uses, but they aren't a problem. It's likely due to the PCV system, 5-20 oil, and the design of the piston being a short-skirt and more prone to rock in the bore (which causes no harm in a proper setup like the HEMI, LS1, etc.).

I also don't believe my HEMI burns anywhere near 1 quart every 3K.

Quote:
i would not say a catch can is mandatory, but, for about $100 you get the benefit of maintaining a clean throttle body which helps performance and economy. Without a catch can on a typical Hemi you are likely going to need to service/clean the TB every 25,000 miles, if you want to maintain optimum performance out of your engine.

without a doubt my catch can is trapping small amounts of oil that would have entered the intake tract and degraded performance and driveability. if the catch can was empty every time I checked it I would remove it from the engine.
I have never cleaned my TB. I have seen/read/etc. all about it. My opinion is that at idle, it could cause a bit of issue with idle stability, but at WOT, it should be a non-issue, and then, you have the IAC to consider as well. You can't really clean those. You may lose 1-2hp and similar torque. Maybe. More variance to be had from vehicle to vehicle than from clean to messy TB at WOT and/or cruising.

If it's a big deal, I'd say just replace the TB every 50K miles. It contains things that can't be cleaned that can affect idle quality.
Unread 01-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #12
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum555 View Post
I was looking into the infamous chocolate milkshake issue the other day and a lot of people credit the milky fluid to the oil in the catch can getting mixed with condensation that stems from cold weather and a hot engine bay. unless the milky fluid is coming out of your oil pan then no need to worry. I checked mine the other day and had some mily goop in my catch can I was nervous to say the least. the lxforums have a lot of hemi info that applies to our jeeps.
The atmosphere pulled from the manifold is humid. Look at what comes out the tail-pipe of your vehicle. Put your hand under the pipe's opening. It feels like a pervert breathing on you. Or a dog panting, whichever you prefer. Regardless, it's oil vapor mixing with humidity from the combustion and intake processes.
Unread 01-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #13
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtanium View Post
I also don't believe my HEMI burns anywhere near 1 quart every 3K.
You don't have to believe - but it's true. My HEMI burns oil and I've taken it to 2 dealers while under warranty. Neither would no anything because they determined it was only losing around 3/4 of a quart approx every 3k miles, and Chrysler told them that the HEMI can burn up to 1 quart every 3k miles and that there was no repair or modification needed (therefore nothing would be covered).

Only point I'm making is that Chrysler is well aware of this engine burning oil - so much so that they've established a threshold between "normal operation" and "an issue".
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #14
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000
Judging by color, it's not all oil. Depending on where they're mounted, length of drives, etc. catch cans will pick up a good bit of moisture in cold weather. In the winter, the stuff that comes out of mine is at least 1/2 water most of the time. As a result, it needs emptying much more often than during the summer, where it only accumulates little bits of oil.
That's exactly what I was thinking, i have only 75K on it. And it runs like a charm. In the summer time i barely get a 1/4 of the catch can every oil change.
Unread 01-07-2015, 03:54 AM   #15
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrett View Post
You don't have to believe - but it's true. My HEMI burns oil and I've taken it to 2 dealers while under warranty. Neither would no anything because they determined it was only losing around 3/4 of a quart approx every 3k miles, and Chrysler told them that the HEMI can burn up to 1 quart every 3k miles and that there was no repair or modification needed (therefore nothing would be covered).

Only point I'm making is that Chrysler is well aware of this engine burning oil - so much so that they've established a threshold between "normal operation" and "an issue".
LS1's were at 1,000mi/quart for failure per GM, IIRC.

Mine burned about 1qt/2K miles until I found an oil it liked (it DRANK 5-30 Mobil 1), and then it went about 1/2 quart every 4K miles with 0-30 German Castrol.

Maybe try a different brand of oil. Mobil 1 is famous for shearing and burning. What are you running? I run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5-20 in my HEMI. Works great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.