3.7L overheated... help... please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 3.7L overheated... help... please

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
TonyIce05
2005 WK 

3.7L overheated... help... please

Today it was about 88*F and I was driving through the city with my A/C on on heavy stop and go traffic and noticed the temp gauge almost in the red!!!! So i turned off the A/C and put it on full heat and it brought the temp down a tad to safe levels, and when I got home I popped the hood and noticed that the radiator fan was not on... with the temp gauge at about 3/4?? I have done a little bit of searching this topic and am kinda confused....

I read that you have to check the relays... and then somehow test the fan motor? Where are the relays located and what ones are they? and how would I test the motor?

Could their be any other reason its overheating? It is normal temp 1/2 when i'm moving down the highway...

Its a 2005 GC 4x4 with 101000 miles... its been great so far! I don't want to hurt it and keep it in great shape!

| 2005 GC | 3.7L V6 | Surco Safari Rack | Rigid Lit LED's | K&N Air Intake | Hypertech Programmer | Silver WK Club Member #52 |
TonyIce05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
gabegarcia956

I had the same thing happen to me but I did not let it go all the way to the red any way i would just pop your hood and turn on the AC and see if your fan turns on because it should turn on with a AC. just to check and see if it works. and check your coolant and yes right around 1/2 and a little above if normal for siting in traffic from what i have seen in my car.
gabegarcia956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Same thing happened to me. Check your water pump. That's what mine was.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.