3.7L overheated... help... please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 3.7L overheated... help... please

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
TonyIce05
2005 WK 

3.7L overheated... help... please

Today it was about 88*F and I was driving through the city with my A/C on on heavy stop and go traffic and noticed the temp gauge almost in the red!!!! So i turned off the A/C and put it on full heat and it brought the temp down a tad to safe levels, and when I got home I popped the hood and noticed that the radiator fan was not on... with the temp gauge at about 3/4?? I have done a little bit of searching this topic and am kinda confused....

I read that you have to check the relays... and then somehow test the fan motor? Where are the relays located and what ones are they? and how would I test the motor?

Could their be any other reason its overheating? It is normal temp 1/2 when i'm moving down the highway...

Its a 2005 GC 4x4 with 101000 miles... its been great so far! I don't want to hurt it and keep it in great shape!

| 2005 GC | 3.7L V6 | Surco Safari Rack | Rigid Lit LED's | K&N Air Intake | Hypertech Programmer | Silver WK Club Member #52 |
TonyIce05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
gabegarcia956

I had the same thing happen to me but I did not let it go all the way to the red any way i would just pop your hood and turn on the AC and see if your fan turns on because it should turn on with a AC. just to check and see if it works. and check your coolant and yes right around 1/2 and a little above if normal for siting in traffic from what i have seen in my car.
gabegarcia956 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Same thing happened to me. Check your water pump. That's what mine was.

Tags
fan , overheating , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.