3.7 WK Headers install pics and hints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > 3.7 WK Headers install pics and hints

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
LandEagle
2005 WK 

3.7 WK Headers install pics and hints

its about
JBA - jbaheaders.com
# 1930S

They are originated for KJ,but they fits WK also.

Some more months ago i found them damn cheap on ebay (seller: exhaustseller).

I was looking for aftermarket headers cause mine stock start to sound like cracked ones.

Friend of mine instaled them for me some 7 months ago. Instalation took some 5hours for single person.

As reported by JGmember STRONGJEFF in the "3.7 lovers" thread, there is possible for the 2008+ models, that the JBA headers rubs a bit on the steering.

To avoid this, we created a smal dimple in the critical area into the header to become more space.

But as other jeepers reported later on, for the 2005 models there is no need to do that. They dont rub for on the steering.
My install detail confirms:

I used also Thermotec Generation II Copper Exhaust Insulating Header Wrap and Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier from Thermotec.com to avoid any danger for the steering.
IT works!

This wrap-mod casuses also, your gasses are blowen out from the headers much faster. This is good for hp gain.
Thermo-Tec : Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier

Thermo-Tec : Generation II Copper Exhaust Insulating Header Wrap

Its recomended to use thermotec special spray before you instal the wrapped headers. Thermo-Tec : Hi-Heat Coating
The wrap longevity becomes major improovement. Be also sure, you have some of theirs thin steel heat clamps. They are needed to secure the wrap ends.

For the instalation i used brand new stock header sealing from mopar. (I lost the JBA sealing somewhere) It works also.

I used the 4 stainless steel bolts and nuts delivered fith JBA to mount the exhaust pipes to the headers. This was a big fail. There is no rust to make then tight enought so they are still getting loose by the machine vibration.

After second atempt to make them tight during some 3000 miles, i changed them for some longer, not stinless bolts and i used two nuts on each bolt to make them stable. And they are.

Its noyt a race care, just my daily driver. Anyway, this upgrade bring noticeable improvement at 3000rpm+

Must Have

... oh yes, my factory ones were not cracked, just the pipe nuts were loose

LandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
LandEagle
2005 WK 

some 20k miles later...
001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg   004.jpg  
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Heat wrap caused them to get to hot?
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
LandEagle
2005 WK 

one of my suspect... hard to say
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Never used header wrap myself, used to use stock GM truck manifolds on our F-Body turbo kit and those used to get red hot and I've never seen them show signs cracking. I would contact JBA, they are a well established company, I don't see them not standing behind their product.
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
JRLT
2010 WK 

2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
LandEagle
2005 WK 

thnx JRLT! confirms my suspect. Seems they have know...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.